All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
LS-Help!
      #71979 - 05/20/04 01:20 PM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

LS, I need your help. I'm still dead tired and WAY more achy than I was a few days ago. I mean, everything hurts. I went to the doctor today after I almost fainted yesterday afternoon. I also didn't sleep well. She took blood and sent me home with orders to REST. I told my prof. how sick I've gotten and he said not worry about the paper until I feel better (good!) BUT, how am I gonna move on Saturday??? Any tips on how to conserve energy? I mean, aside from not moving a single muscle from now until Saturday (which I don't have enough energy to do anyway.)

--------------------
--Julie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: LS-Help! new
      #72007 - 05/20/04 04:11 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Oh, sweetie pie, you poor thing! I'm SO sorry you're feeling so bad. Thank goodness the doctor grounded you and your prof understands. But good grief, moving??!! Hmm, that's a toughie.

Well, the first question is, how many friends and family are close enough they can come help? If the answer is none, how many good-looking neighbors could you do a Blanche DuBois act with -- you know, "Ahv always depended on the kindness of strangers." Seriously, this is one of those times when we have to overcome our reluctance to ask for help.

Okay, another way to go is to look up "Movers" in the Yellow Pages. I know you're a poor grad student, but this is your health we're talking about. Just deduct it on your taxes as medical expense and let the IRS just TRY to collect. Seriously, this is what credit cards are for -- EMERGENCIES!! And because it's a local move, it will be very cheap compared to crosscountry rates. When we needed to move my grandmother from one nursing home to another (the kind where you're allowed to bring your furnishings from home so you're more comfortable, so she had a dresser and a chair and a sewing machine (don't ask!)), anyway, I found an outfit called "Two Men and a Truck" and they did it on like one day's notice and it was maybe $100 bucks.

Okay, if you've already done all that and your question is just, "How do I get myself out of bed long enough for them to move it?" and "How do I catch the cat and get her in the carrier?" and "Where will I find the strength to carry my plants down to the car and back up again?", well, here's what I've learned.

First, treat yourself to a cup of coffee, as long as it won't cause you to have an attack that day. The next day, okay, you'll be all moved. Caffeine DOES provide energy and you're going to need all you can get.

Second, take FREQUENT breaks. Rule of thumb is a minute's rest for a minute's activity. So pack for half an hour, then LIE DOWN for half an hour.

Third, this is the time to use everything you know about good ergonomics. Bend your knees to lift things, don't bend from the waist, that kind of thing. OH, do you have a cane or walking stick?? They absorb 25% of the body's weight, thus conserving 25% of your energy. Even just for going up and down stairs or from one room to another.

WHEELS!! Do you have a set of suitcase wheels, the kind that aren't built in? Put boxes on them to move them. Or a skateboard with a rope? Or a little red wagon? Or a grocery cart (have someone borrow one for you!!) Don't carry if you can roll.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but that's a start. Oh, one more and it's the BEST idea. DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT UNTIL SATURDAY!! You'll just burn up energy you need to get better. Okay? I'm serious! I'll send the fatigue police over to your place to make sure you are only doing one of the following authorized activities:

Sleeping,
resting,
reading fashion magazines or trashy novels,
eating,
going to the bathroom,
watching TV.

Julie, Julie, Julie, feel better soon. Please? Please? Please?

SMOOCHES!!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#72017 - 05/20/04 04:43 PM
tuxedocat

Thanks for such a great post! I knew you'd have good,practical suggestions. Yeah, I've done all of the first things: rounded up my best friend and a bunch of French Canadian physicists (they are wimpy, but at this point a 5yr old is stronger than I am! and they are my neighbors and I drive them places all the time, so they owe me...and are generally looking for something to do besides theoretical physics anyway). They can roll suitcases, load things into the car, lift boxes, etc. My friend will come earlier and help me pack up last minute things (don't want those neighbors emptying my dresser, ya know!). Seriously, I will be Blanche du Bois to the T. It's too bad I'm still cheerful, even though I feel like crap, then I could really play up the helpless side, even if reluctantly. My mind works, my bod doesn't!
As for doing something for a half hour, lying down for a half hour. I've been doing that: shower, lie down, eat breakfast, lie down, go to the doctor, sleep for 3 hrs, etc.
The excuse to have coffee...mmmm...it probably won't make me sick until the evening at least.Maybe that'll motivate me. And if I'm going to have an attack anyway, I'm telling ya, my friend and I better mix up a batch of margaritas at the end of the day!

I never thought of a walking stick...I mean, I just never though such a thing would be handy at 24. So, someone around here must have a ski pole at least!

Ok, I'm going back to my TV...
And you have fun at the PARTY! Wahoo!

--------------------
--Julie

#72038 - 05/20/04 07:49 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

it's me, being nosy YET AGAIN!

pick up some equalactin and make sure you have a big bottle of water around. chew some equalactin every few hours and drink lots of water and i bet the coffee never bites you in the butt. (um..... sorry, couldn't resist!)

LS gave some great suggestions and i'm going to actually save this list so i have it the next time i have something big to do that i'm afraid i may not have energy to handle.

it's a toughie, isn't it, to have a nice happy attitude and a body that can't do much for a while!? frustrating. i've been battling that (with people thinking "she doesn't look sick) and i know Tara has to deal with that, too. i'm sure many of us do. it's almost like we're penalized for being healthy in attitude! but get yourself all centered and ready for your acting debut! du bois it up, baby!

good luck on your move. please don't take any risks with your health or your energy! you are still getting stuff done if you focus on directing traffic and delegating! really!

one tip i can suggest (it's not much, but LS is such a goddess she hit everything else!): save a light-weight stool or folding chair so there's something for you to rest on! the last time i moved, i had stuck all the light furniture in the truck first ('cause i knew i wasn't going to be terribly helpful so i had done what i could before everyone else showed up!). well, the joke was on me, 'cause as i got tuckered out i had nowhere to sit. you can't sit in a stairwell- you'll be in the way. and the floor just don't cut it when you're tired and achy.... actually.... that's not true. that was the next-to-last time i moved. the last time, i paid people. best money i've ever spent!

good luck!

*j

--------------------

Re: LS-Help! (Laura Sue, Jen & Julie etc.) YOU MAKE MY DAY!!! new
      #72078 - 05/21/04 04:48 AM
Dimples

Reged: 04/01/04

They say LAUGHTER is the best medicine. I really believe that! I laugh so much reading these posts and some of the others that I know it works better than anything the doctor could prescrible. If I'm down and out I just have to read one of your posts and it lifts my spirits!!

You girls have so many strikes against you and yet you have such a great sense of humor!!! I think that's what has gotten me through everything through the years. If I start to lose MY sense of humor I get it right back by reading one of your posts.

Love You ALL,

Pat

#72092 - 05/21/04 06:12 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Oh poor you!

I definitely second LS suggestion of caffeine, but I find tea's a lot easier on my IBS, so go with that instead of caffeine.

And take painkillers - I find Ibuprofen helps, but lord only knows why (Fibro is NOT Inflammation ). something with codeine in it should help more.

Make sure you eat regularly - little and VERY often! Keep up your SFSs. Drink loads of water.

Also, along with a chair, keep your heating pads close to hand - you'll be wanting them I promise!

If you feel faint, drink some water and LIE DOWN on the floor. Everyone will just have to walk around you.

Good luck! Wish I could send a couple of strong moving men your way!

#72175 - 05/21/04 09:19 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I don't know HOW you're going to do it, Julie.........All of LS's suggestions are terrific, however, I think I'd go one futher and get a "walker"!!! LOL, also CRY a LOT.....(that always gets men)....
I LMBO at your discription of physicists......a good friend of our is a geophysicist and he is the most, well, "interesting" men I know. When we first went to Mexico with he and his wife we all went in one vehicle......he brought out the ice chest (empty) to put in the SUV, then went back in his house and brought out the stuff to go in it, ONE by ONE..............LOL

You do the best you can............wish we were there to help........can you just see it now? All of us...........like you at the same time..........what a pathetic bunch..

Kandee

--------------------

#72247 - 05/21/04 12:10 PM
tuxedocat

Ha, yes that would be funny group of movers, the bunch of us! Thanks all for your advice! I've warned everyone how lousy I feel and so they had BETTER be nice

Argh, I'm going back to bed. I forgot that I told a friend I'd drive her to new place, along with her stuff. I said here are my keys, just go! But she was nervous about driving my car, so I said, well, you load up and then come get me. I just got back. It only took a little while, mostly sitting in the car, but I'm hot and tired and gonna lay down.

How YOU doing today Kandee? Has the codeine kicked in?

--------------------
--Julie

Good luck tomorrow, Julie. -nt- new
      #72288 - 05/21/04 05:26 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

--------------------

Thanks, Jen -nt- new
      #72291 - 05/21/04 05:40 PM
tuxedocat

--------------------
--Julie

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 467 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1397

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review