All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Summer reading ideas
      #71763 - 05/19/04 06:47 PM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

I've noticed alot of us here are big readers. I was checking out some of the bios. I was at the library today and had no idea what to check out. I am not into sci-fi or mysteries. Anything else I am pretty much game. Suggestions?

--------------------
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Summer reading ideas new
      #71767 - 05/19/04 07:08 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I love anything by Dan Brown, author of Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, etc. I'm also a huge Stephen King fan, but that's more into the mystery/horror genre. But if you haven't read Dan Brown, I highly recommend him!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#71778 - 05/19/04 07:44 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

Right now, I'm reading "Letters to An American Lady" by C.S. Lewis. I love his writings and this book has certainly been a great read so far. Have you ever read "The Screwtape Letters"? I highly recommend it, too.

#71781 - 05/19/04 07:55 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i love Dan Brown, too. just rushed through all of his books during a recent illness when i was trapped. Da Vinci Code is the best, though.

i also highly recommend Lamb : The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, by Christopher Moore. it's hysterical. my only warning is this, and i say this with the utmost respect to all, if you are very Christian and not able to enjoy religious writing with a sense of humor, this book may not be for you. it's a great book that "explains" the lost years of Jesus that aren't covered by the Bible. it's hysterical, creative and irreverant, without being truely insulting. Moore really did his homework and it's really a fascinating story. it just may not be up everyone's alley.

if you haven't read the Harry Potters, you really need to!

what else....

i'll have to think and come back to this. i'm a huge reader, but only recommend the best!

--------------------

#71788 - 05/19/04 08:15 PM
Lilybear

Reged: 04/05/04
Loc: east coast, usa

At the moment, I am reading "A Year By the Sea" by Joan Anderson. Its great! Books by Mitch Albom such as "The 5 People You Meet in Heaven" or "Tuesdays with Morrie." And, a funny one dealing with travel is "Neither Here, Nor There." If I think of anymore or come across a good book, I'll be sure to post it:) Take care!

#71789 - 05/19/04 08:18 PM
Lilybear

Reged: 04/05/04
Loc: east coast, usa

I started the Da Vinci Code but didn't finish bcos I borrowed it from a friend who had to travel the following day. The first few chapters got me! I have to borrow that book sometime to see what happens. Ohhh the Harry Potter books! I abosolutely love them!!!!! When I first got IBS, I was so sad but then my Mom borrowed me a book and I thought if Harry could go through all that stuff and be strong, so could I. Hee hee. They really are wonderful books, not just for younger readers, but for anyone to enjoy.

#71792 - 05/19/04 08:55 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I loved The Screwtape Letters when I was little. My parents had it and I read everything in the house. I know, I'm weird.

I didn't care for the Da Vinci code. But I think I'm well in the minority.

I'm currently reading a nice fluffy novel called The True and Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters. I haven't gotten that far.

I also checked out Horse Heaven by Jane Smiley (I liked her other books). There's a new book by David Sedaris due out June 28th that I can't wait for I'm so excited. I really want to read this memoir called Name All the Animals but it's on order at the library (we're trying to be frugal and not buy books). Some other books I read recently you might check out is a book called The Dogs of Babel that made me cry, and a book called My Life as a Fake about a poet who makes up a poet and then his creation comes to life and kidnaps his kid. I'd be interested to see what people think of it. I really loved Margaret Atwood's latest, Oryx and Crake, and it's in paperback now. It's sort of sci-fi, but very heavily literary sci-fi.

I could go on and on. Summer reading for fun. Sweet. I missed it so.

Also, I agree with the recommendation for Neither Here Nor There, it's by Bill Bryson, and ALL of his stuff is VERY VERY funny. I highly recommend it. His book about hiking the appalachian trail made me howl with laughter.

#71795 - 05/19/04 11:32 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Have you read anything by Jonathan Kellerman or Faye Kellerman? They have quite a few books out. Also Diana Gabaldon, she has a series of 5 books that are really good.

--------------------
Janey

#71797 - 05/20/04 12:42 AM
CarmenP

Reged: 07/15/03
Loc: Sydney, Australia

I have just discovered Dan Brown as well. Ive read the Da Vinci Code and am currently reading Digital Fortress.

LOVE Harry Potter. Cant wait for the new movie.

Also Matthew Reilly is an Aussie author. He has some great books. I have read them all

#71801 - 05/20/04 02:53 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I love Da Vinci Code too, but didn't think Angels and Demons was quite as good. I only found Dan Brown after hearing you lot fave about Da Vinci!

My ultimate summer book has got to be "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood". As my Mum says, it's therapy in paperback! But I'd avoid the other books by that author - they're even darker!

Another favourite author is Isabelle Allende - her books are absolutely amazing. I'm planning to get the latest one to read on honeymoon.

Harry Potter is a must-read and LOTR should be read at least once. I have loads of Agatha Christie's that I read again and again.

I adore Terry Pratchett's books - they're fantasy, not sci-fi and SO funny!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3478 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9043

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review