All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
JenX, LauraSue, Julie, NEED advise quickly on migraine meds... new
      #70877 - 05/16/04 11:40 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

as I'm off to see the (good) doc in the morning, early, before I can even check my email.............and I need to know what kinds of migraine meds to ask for.........what are your recommendations??? He will write me anything I ask for as long as it's safe. I can't have anything that I can't take the beta blocker with for the hypertension, or the hypothyroidism meds with, if I get started back on them.

I did find, Julie, that Naproxen can work but not completely and then makes me sooooo sleepy I have to stay in bed all day. Since I have a high maintanence hubby I can't do that.

I think I need that trip to France............or at the very least another stay at the Paris hotel in Vegas..

Thanks for the info Jen.................I sure didn't realize what I had was migraines as opposed to just 24 hr. tension headaches. The docs don't get excited when you just say "tension headache".

Kandee

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: JenX, LauraSue, Julie, NEED advise quickly on migraine meds... new
      #70879 - 05/16/04 11:57 AM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

You'll want to get a triptan (like Maxalt, Imitrex, Zomig). They all do the same thing, but people have different tolerances for them, kind of like anti-depressants. They are the standard treatment for migraines.

You might also want to go on a preventative, which would be a low-dose tricyclic anti-depressant. I don't know if you'd really need that though, since the headaches are related to your thyroid problems (I'm assuming the headache would go away if your thyroiditis would calm down?) I suffer from the chronic headaches if I don't take the preventative, but that's me! Essentially, the tricyclic works to prevent any kind of chronic pain by changing the body's response to pain. It doesn't get rid of the pain, just keeps the rest of your body from freaking out because of it. I warn you though, these tend to make you put on weight.
I don't know if the triptans are contraindicated for beta blockers or thyroid meds. Some people take beta blockers for migraines. My mom thought about it, but can't because of asthma.
I took Feldene for my tension headaches--I went and looked, I still had the bottle! But you can only take that for a few days safely. I remember taking Feldene and Imitrex for a few days straight at regular intervals at first. So maybe you just want to be outta commission for a few days and knock this headache out!

As for what's best for you,I don't know. Hopefully, if you come armed with some knowledge, you and your (good) doc can figure out a plan. Good luck!

--------------------
--Julie

Re: Tension headaches, and another ???? new
      #70880 - 05/16/04 12:02 PM
Kandee

Thanks Julie, I have both those drug stores real close to me..I'm off later today to get one!!! (Wonder if I add a short skirt--- split up the sides, a tight Madarin collared blouse, and make my eyes look more almond shaped if the Colonel will like the new ME?)

I've been putting the ice gel pack at the back of my neck, but now according to what you said I need to put it on top of my head??? Can I put the heating pad on the oh-so-sore shoulder muscles?

Breaking the cycle of pain is apparently what I need to do......I didn't realize that. Did I NOT take enuf Naproxen? Should I have taken like 500 mg. 2 times a day? (That's what I have here that was perscibed for my husband for his hip breakage.) The ODD part about all this is that I went back on my ginger caps, 2 with each meal, to help the dizziness (since it is good for motion sickness and IBS) and it seems to help, a little, the headaches. Any idea why that could be?

France is a little far away as a perscibed medicine but the resort we usually go to in Mexico would suffice. Last year it did a number on my IBS like you wouldn't believe...and I even cheated and had a torta with no ill affects...

Kandee

--------------------

Re: Tension headaches, and another ???? new
      #70882 - 05/16/04 12:18 PM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

Yes, you should put the ice gel pack (or headache band--works better, yay velcro!) on your head, whereever it hurts. And yes, you can put the heat pad on your shoulder! The pain travels down from your head, so it's pretty normal for your back and shoulders to be sore.
Yeah, you probably didn't take enough naproxen (but I'm talking prescription doses--see my other answer to your migraine question). BUT, you don't want to do this on your own, or you end up "addicted" to the pain meds. Basically, a bottle of Excedrin a day is NOT GOOD! It can make the headaches worse because then you have withdrawal headaches on top of it all! As for the ginger, no idea?!? If helps, go for it. You can also put peppermint oil on your temples.

--------------------
--Julie

Thank you Julie..... new
      #70886 - 05/16/04 12:58 PM
Kandee

I printed out your reply and will take it with me. With this doc if he doesn't know if I can take it or not, he'll look it up. In the meantime I will too, and see if it seems like it will be a remedy. I NEED something, like you said, to break the cycle. It's been over 4 weeks now that I've had them and for the past 3 they have been 24 hrs a day. THAT'S long enuf in my book!!! I doubt I would need an antidepressant. These headaches would make anyone depressed yet I'm not, just crabby and frustrated at the duration. Feldene might be the answer to break the cycle if they work within a few days. I'll ask. If I go out of commission, oh well, the world will not end.

Thanks again, I feel ARMED, and ready for combat.........just not with any amunition until I get the triptan or something like it.

Kandee

--------------------

Thanks Julie, I'm going to try your recommendations.-nt- new
      #70920 - 05/16/04 03:40 PM
Kandee

Kandee

--------------------

migraines new
      #70929 - 05/16/04 03:58 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i take Imitrex. it's the only thing i've found that really works (though, for me, it's not all of the time. it does work about 75% of the time, which is just great!

--------------------

oh no! new
      #70931 - 05/16/04 04:12 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

you're totally right! i don't think Atkins is a healthy diet and i don't want to be on that diet. no way, no how!

i can do this. i just want to cut some of the carbs NOT to lose weight, but to help ease some of these horrible pains and other symptoms.

you're such a great support, Kandee. it's a pleasure to know you. i certainly hope you get all your stuff straightened out and that you get an answer to your headaches really really soon. the thyroid stuff, too.

SMOOCHES!

--------------------

Re: Thanks LauraSue, This........... new
      #70937 - 05/16/04 04:22 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Yes, it is a look, isn't it!! Hey, glad to hear you back to your sassy self again!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: JenX, LauraSue, Julie, NEED advise quickly on migraine meds... new
      #70940 - 05/16/04 04:26 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Imitrex is the gold standard of migraine meds. It's a "triptan" one of a relatively new family of meds that are working wonders. There's about seven of them so as long as he prescribes any one of them, you should find relief.

Oddly enough, beta blockers are actually helpful in preventing migraines. I'm on atenolol for a month now and it seems to have broken the ghastly cycle I was in.

Another possibility I hate to mention is rebound headaches, but your doctor will be better at diagnosing that than me. The highest probability is that it's migraine and the triptans are AMAZING!!

Good luck.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 302 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 32597

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review