All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Re: LS, thinking of you honey, sorry you are hurting -- THANKS GAYLA, better today -nt- new
      #70822 - 05/16/04 08:41 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Thanks for the explanation Jen, does Fibro affect women more than men. -nt- new
      #70823 - 05/16/04 08:42 AM
LauraSue

Gayla, yes it does, same as IBS. Interesting, huh?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Actually..... new
      #70825 - 05/16/04 08:45 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

.... there is a lot of work being done investigating a neurotransmitter called "Substance P." it's believed to be responsible for two things: 1) it is part of the network that tells the body to send pain responses and 2) it is also part of the network responsible for sending messages to shut off the pain responses. interesting, no? but you can see the conundrum here. i assume if they block Substance P, then the pain notification network is hindered and that's good for chronic pain, but not for the rest of the pain we need! yes, we need pain. obvious example: if you put your hand on a stove burner, you need pain to tell you it's not a good idea! but you don't really want to put more Substance P out there, do ya? maybe, but maybe not.

anyway, i've read about this neurotransmitter in regards to fibro, but don't know for sure if it's come up in regards to IBS. ( i'm embarrassed to admit i've kinda slacked off in the IBS research department due to the pressing need [obsession] to read everything i can find about fibro! )

--------------------

migraines new
      #70828 - 05/16/04 08:50 AM
jenX

see? i read posts not addressed to me, too.

i think that what you're experiencing are still considered migraines. sure, there's those horrid blinding ones. i'm all too familiar. but i think that a headache that goes 3+ days, even if it's the "tension" kind, is considered a cluster headache and is a migraine.

it's possible you may find some relief from some of the migraine meds. worth tossing in the pot when you talk to your doctor. headaches every day are NO JOKE. miserable!

feel better.

--------------------

celiac new
      #70831 - 05/16/04 08:58 AM
jenX

yeah, it's alarming how much there is going around with this celiac thing. apparently it's WAY more commonly diagnosed in England and Europe. and of course, they have more products to accomodate GF living.

i really think it's interesting how all of this is all tied together.

here's my current problem that's got me all confused: more and more books that i read suggest a low-carb diet is helpful for fibro. ok, well i'm GF, so that's ok. but how on earth can i get a low-carb lifestyle to jive with Heather's plan!? UGH. i'm officially off the suggaa (again and for real this time!) as of today, and i think i'll steer clear of potatoes for a bit to see if that helps. i don't know about rice, though. i'm considering seeing if i can take acacia prior to each meal and still maintain IBS control..... heck, Heather has shown to me that nutrition can really impact your health, so i'm willing to try a healthy fibro diet since so many people advise it, but i don't want the IBS to get worse.... i'm in a pickle! (which i can't eat on any diet! )

--------------------

NO WAY, JENX !!!! new
      #70835 - 05/16/04 09:03 AM
LauraSue

Jen I have NEVER read that a low carb diet helps fibro. What books say that?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

OY, LS new
      #70837 - 05/16/04 09:05 AM
jenX

i have a great aunt who is quite unpleasant. when i was out sick a few months ago, she got wind of it. (usually we don't talk health in my family around her or her sister - my grandmother) she asked me about it and all i said was that i was "very, very tired." ok, you have to understand at the time everyone was freaking 'cause i had dark circles under my eyes and was pretty near listless. that was when i was freaking out and panicky from not getting sleep. anyway, she dismissively said "everyone is tired." if she weren't an octogenarian on a cane, i would have belted her. instead i just rolled my eyes (which was tiring enough! )

--------------------

Tension headaches new
      #70854 - 05/16/04 10:06 AM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

Looks like LS answered the headache band question. Mine is made by thera-med. You can find these at Savon or RiteAid.

Yes, you do need to constrict blood flow. One thing that always helped me was to put moist heat on my lower neck and upper back and cold on my head. That helped to relieve the tension that builds up as a result of the constant pain. Jen is also right that chronic tension headaches are related to migraines. I believe it's called converted migraine or something like that. It has to do with pain centers in your brain. Migraines actually have a specific point that gets activated and sets off pain receptors. So to treat a migraine you need to tackle migraine center to really stop the headache. Mega doses of naproxen over a few days can stop a tension headache. You need to break the cycle of pain and that's not always easy. You might want to see your doc about something like that. You've got enough to deal with and tension headaches do have a solution. (Unless you're like me and the naproxen wasn't enough to stop them---only moving to France for a summer did that --you might find some relief.)

--------------------
--Julie

Thanks LauraSue, This........... new
      #70874 - 05/16/04 11:20 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

combined with my sticky rice and chop sticks will complete the look quite nicely thank you.

If I take a picture then I could rival even you for the title of "Miss Whimsy"!!!

Kandee

--------------------

Re: celiac new
      #70876 - 05/16/04 11:31 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

All that you mentioned is true, plus I read one of the reasons that we are gaining in the numbers of Celiacs in this country is because we are introducing wheat into the diets of children at WAY to young an age.

Yes,yes, I think the low carb and Heather's diet can be worked together, but you have to be VERY stable, and you have to be careful of the fat... I've noticed that I can take a big dose of acacia and then eat low fat, high protein meal (like with white meat turkey burgers) with over-cooked veggies and not have an attack. I even eat salad now, but in moderation of course and with a no-fat, IBS safe dressing. Raw tomatoes I can do too. Overcooked, veggies..........squash, asparagus, etc. It can work. Before I would eat a cup or more of rice with every meal. I really think the trick is to take enuf soluble fiber before the meal to pull it off. Of course you're never going to be able to eat totally like the nut cases on Atkins, nor would you want to...it's just not healthy, but you can safely make your meals higher protein, if that is what helps the fibro.

Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2071 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 32566

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review