All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Re: subacute thyroiditis new
      #70780 - 05/15/04 10:14 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

AP,

Well, since your mom had it you know something about it. For about a month I'd get the sweats. I guess that was the fever part. And yes, your gland becomes inflamed. With me it was only on my left side of the thyroid. It seems to be going down now. Also, a "bag" under my left eye got big.....still is and I'm hoping it's not Graves but since I'm going back to being hypo it doesn't sound like it. Fortunately I WAS already on beta blockers for hypertension when the heart arrhythmias started, but nonetheless, they still scared me. That was from me going hyper, and still being on thyroid meds for hypo..(which took me into being more hyper----bad for the heart)....I had to quit all the thyroid meds until I go more hypo.....which I can tell is happening. Hair? yep, I know the feeling.........in my case being hypo always means hair fall out, but with the thyroiditis a section of the center of my left eyelashes fell out.......weird ey? Seems it's all affecting my left side. I was ordered NOT to exercise (I went to aerobics daily) so natch I'm loosing muscle mass.............in my case it's just turning into FAT.............ug. The strange thing is about this is that it can last from 2 weeks to 6 months and is suppose to spontaneously go away. Since my thyroid antibodies in my blood are sooooo elevated it going to take a while. You see, you get a hole in your thyroid gland and it dumps the antibodies it usually stores into your blood system. The white blood count is up because you are fighting an infection. It usually comes on the tail of an upper respiratory infection. (I had one for 8 weeks Jan/Feb and that could have caused it.) It can also come from HRT, or as little as having a seat belt rubbing against your throat for long hrs. of driving. It's really ODD stuff, but like you said about you mom...........makes you darn sick.

I'm so glad to hear she got better. I don't want to scare you but the biggest risk factor to getting it again is to have had it once already. She needs to be super carefull if she gets a cold or virus and get on antibiotics to correct it right away. I let mine go thinking it would go away in 2 weeks and it took 2 months, but I never knew something like this could come after it.

Thanks for your concern.........and I hope your mom NEVER, EVER gets this again............

(Don't worry, it's not catching or inherited, unless she is hypothyroid or hyper and then you stand a chance of getting those.)

Kandee

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Laura Sue and Kandee (YOU BOTH HAVE SO MUCH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS! new
      #70798 - 05/16/04 06:59 AM
Dimples

Reged: 04/01/04

Laura and Kandee,

You both deserve a prize for the compassion you show others with all the problems you both have. You two have such a great outlook on life. We sure need you on this website and don't ever think your wonderful comments go unnoticed!!!!

Pat

Gerry [and whomever else wants to read it! ;) ] new
      #70812 - 05/16/04 08:21 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Gerry, i'm sorry you're so ouchy. well, that fall probably made things a ton worse, huh?

hope you find some answers soon. aching and being painful are terrible and quite unfair.

--------------------

what's a headache band????? -nt- new
      #70813 - 05/16/04 08:23 AM
jenX

--------------------

Pity Party? i will keep looking for more. tell me when you like one. new
      #70814 - 05/16/04 08:28 AM
jenX

--------------------

Re: Pity Party? i will keep looking for more. tell me when you like one. new
      #70816 - 05/16/04 08:32 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

That one is very silly - I like it!! How about the rest of you? Votes, please!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

yes and no..... er.... maybe? new
      #70817 - 05/16/04 08:33 AM
jenX

"they" say that it affects more women than men, but there's another group of "they" who believe that this is because men tend not to go to doctors for pain as often as women do. also, testosterone seems to go a great way towards increasing men's tolerance for pain (not a joke- really, that's true!), and men have more testosterone than women. pick a theory, any theory!

--------------------

Re: what's a headache band????? KANDEE AND JENX... new
      #70818 - 05/16/04 08:35 AM
LauraSue

here's a link

headache wrap - NOT just for migraines!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Laura Sue and Kandee (YOU BOTH HAVE SO MUCH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS! new
      #70820 - 05/16/04 08:36 AM
LauraSue

Thanks, Pat! You're pretty nice yourself you know. All compliments gratefully accepted!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Little Engine that could!! new
      #70821 - 05/16/04 08:41 AM
LauraSue

Yup, I remember. That reminds me of an analogy I use to explain my fatigue and low energy sometimes.

Okay, you're on the expressway and everyone around you is doing 80, just whizzing by. And you have the accelerator pushed all the way to the floor...and you're only doing 40, no matter how hard you push!!

THAT'S fatigue!! Whether from fibro or thyroid or anything else. And people that say oh, come on, everybody gets tired, you just have to push yourself a little, they are lucky I don't SLUG THEM!! Actually, they're lucky I don't have the ENERGY to slug them!! he he!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 843 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 32587

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review