All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Whoa!
      #69100 - 05/10/04 01:44 PM
tarabara04

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Bay Area, California, USA

There was just like a mini earthquake. It lasted like barely even half a second and it like didn't shake too much but it rumbled and scared me! Whenever there's a tiny one I always get to worrying that there's gonna be another one that's bigger I'm trying to call my parents now. I was just putting on some tea because my tummy was hurting but then the little shake happened so I like turned of the stove cause it's gas and .....I"m special and didn't know how long the trembler was gonna last! Guess I'll go turn it on again. I'm calm now. Whew!

--------------------
If you live life to love, you'll love to live life.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Ooo, scary! new
      #69243 - 05/11/04 01:30 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'm so glad we don't get those here. That must've been really nervy!

Re: Ooo, scary! new
      #69246 - 05/11/04 04:39 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hey you,
You're not alone in being afraid the 'big one' is right around the corner - When I was in school, they always used to tell us that we were due in for a big Earthquake and used to have drills all the time. Whenever we did get a little shaker, I always thought I was going to find my house in rubble. Didn't happen, but they are probably still making kids get under their desks, in preparation for the big Earthquake.
At least it only lasted a second, I hope you got hold of your mum and dad and are all calm now.
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Whoa! new
      #69250 - 05/11/04 04:53 AM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

yeah, quakes can be scary! But at least it was a little one. That's the best way for the earth to release tension so it lessens the chances of a big one.There are TONS little quakes all the time that we don't even feel most of them (I was in the earthquake club in high school--we monitored quakes from our meter and sent the data to CalTech) My mom has a theory that BIG ones happen roughly every 20yrs. If she's right, you guys aren't due yet
Have you ever a felt a big one (5.5 or higher)? The last one for me was the mega quake in 1994. It was so long because it was followed by 2 aftershocks that were almost as big as the quake. Seriously, shaking for a full minute!!!

--------------------
--Julie

#69255 - 05/11/04 06:18 AM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

That must be pretty scary living in a place that will often have temors. Where I grew up earthquakes are really rare although I do have one earthquake story.

It was January 1st 2000 at about 4am. I had been out partying that night and fell asleep on my cousin's couch 'slightly' inebriated. I woke up to the sound of the lamp and shelves shaking and thought "cool! it must be an earthquake!", but then thought "nah, I'm too drunk" then went back to sleep. But sure enough I saw on the news the next day that we had actually had an earthquake!

How often would you guys have earthquake drills at school?

Jamie, that is TOO funny !!! -nt- new
      #69312 - 05/11/04 09:16 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#69325 - 05/11/04 09:45 AM
tuxedocat

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Ithaca, NY

I had them once or twice a year. We did fire drills and earthquake drills separately. Although my mom had drills for A-bomb attacks/bombing etc., in addition to earthquake and fire drills. Strangely, getting under the desk and covering your head and neck was the first move for the earthquake and bomb drills. How's a desk gonna protect ya from an A-bomb?!?

Your story is TOO funny Jamie. I've never been drunk for an earthquake--sounds fun!

--------------------
--Julie

Scary....we only get hurricanes here !!!-nt- new
      #69333 - 05/11/04 09:53 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

--------------------

Re: Scary....we only get hurricanes here !!!-nt- new
      #69365 - 05/11/04 10:17 AM
tarabara04

See..for some reason hurricanes scare me more..cause like..I could get blown away in a hurricane and there would be nowhere to go! Tornados do too!

--------------------

#69372 - 05/11/04 10:25 AM
tarabara04

That's so funny! That reminded me how oen time I was home sick and I was like half asleep..you know that sick half asleep feeling..on the top bunk of the bunk beds in my room..and then there were like 4 mini earthquakes in a row. After the first one I was like..naaaaaah..I'm just imagining things..then the second one I was like..hmm..am I twitching or something..like shaking the whole bed and room? Then by the third and fourth ones my heart was pounding and I was like no..I'm not imagining things. When my parents got home I told them and my dad felt my forehead! But it did happen! It's just that the terror alert was red or something so they put it at the bottom of the news so the next day my parents were finally like..oh..yeah there were a few earthquakes yesterday! Uhh..DUH! Sigh
At school they have earthquake drills..well..it depends..when I went to private school for K-8they probably did them every month or two and we went under the tables (duck and cover)....at my public high school they do them randomly..yep and we go under our rickety (sp?)desks (duck and cover) which are barely big enough to fit our backpacks underneath. Yep! Some of us wonder how those desks would help..but I don't really want to think about it!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3264 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2571

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review