All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I'm sitting here with a baby bunny in my lap!
      #62290 - 04/18/04 08:32 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

he's wrapped up in a towel and is the size of the palm of my hand. I saved him a couple hours ago from the jaws of my dog. I saw that my dog had something in his mouth outside so I opened the door and he brought me his new "toy". Usually it is a sparrow....but this time it was a bunny. My dog never has killed any of his new "toys".....just slobbers them terribly. The bunny, I hope is going to be OK. He's a bit in shock I think...but maybe I can nurse him back to health. Any idea what baby bunnies eat? It's raining right now...a regular down-pour....so it's to wet to put the baby bunny outside on his own yet. He's so cute and furry. I'm a softy when it comes to animals.

No house painting today....because of the rain....luckily I was able to get a little painting done yesterday. So I guess I'll work on my recipe book and do laundry. Hubby is working in his shop. Am feeling a bit better today. Hope the beginning of another work week goes well tomorrow. And I hope I get my hypno tapes in the mail tomorrow.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

baby bunnies! new
      #62291 - 04/18/04 08:44 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Nugget, aren't they just the cutest!?

Have you dealt with baby bunnies before? Don't feed him/her milk! If the eyes are open, she'll/he'll eat grass and bunny food. If they aren't you need to go to the pet store and buy Esbillac (sp?)--- regular cow/soy/etc... milk will kill baby bunnies!

BIG SMOOCHIES TO THE BABY BUNNY!

--------------------

bunny nursing 101..... new
      #62302 - 04/18/04 09:44 AM
Nugget

thanks Jen....I'm trying to feed him some grass and droplets of water, but no success yet. He's acting like he's feeling better, though.

To answer your other post about the house painting. Yes, it feels great to put a fresh coat of paint on the house. It's going to look like a whole new house when I'm done. Too bad I can't paint today....still kind of rainy.

I am a wildlife rehabilitator---specialty is baby bunnies. :) new
      #62336 - 04/18/04 01:33 PM
Scully30

Reged: 02/01/04
Loc: Overland Park, KS

GOOD ADVICE, JENX! If the bunny is the size of the palm of your hand, he/she is already on its own now. They are ready to go after only 14 days! It seems like they are too small to be alone, but they are foraging for food as they were shown. They will eat grasses, hay, bunny pellets, and lots of fresh water now. Apples are good too, diced up finely, as are bananas. You might want to feed him today, but I would recommend that you release him back into the wild as soon as possible to avoid imprinting. Pick a place that's rural, with plenty of brush cover and perhaps a creek nearby. What you want to do by this is give him the best chance possible for survival, and of course, the best place is out of suburbia and away from your doggie!

I have worked for a wildlife center in the Kansas City area on my day off as an emergency rehabilitator for nearly 5 years, and three of those years were spent as a rabbit rehabilitator in my home. Believe it or not, we see close to 1400 rabbits per year in our facility, the bulk of those being during the months of April thru August. A mother rabbit can safely gestate a litter every 28 days--AAGH! No wonder they are so prolific.

Hope this helps, and tell the baby bunny that I love him/her!

Jen

cool job new
      #62355 - 04/18/04 05:08 PM
jenX

i thought about doing that for quite a while, but kind of drifted away from it...

i worked for (and managed) veterinary hospitals for 8 years. loved it. i also volunteered for quite a while with a large wildlife rehabilitation group out here. my faves were the birds of prey, especially the hawks and owls.

i've had my fair share of bunnies spend the night with me before going to the rehab farm... so cute!

--------------------

JenX and Jen Z, great advise Plus a Question... new
      #62387 - 04/18/04 08:38 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Wonderful reading about both of your work with wildlife----- and especially the bunnies. 28 days until babies…???? No wonder I have so many around this time of year. Can a cotton-tail breed with a Jack? I've heard no but there is a grown one that's been around for a long time that is both!!!

You both are very talented, caring ladies!!!! Thank you both for sharing.

Nugget, hope your baby makes it ok………..I'm pulling for it!!!

I had to rescue 2 babies already this year........brought home by a household pet........sheesh. One didn't make it, and one did and is getting big now.

My question for both of you........And hopefully someone can help me out there.............IS HOW ?????????????? to chase off a city of hamsters???????????. Seems like someone in the neighborhood must have let some go and now there is heaven knows how many in an underground city in the back part of our acre. I've heard if you put human hair down the holes it will chase them off. True????????? Is there any other way to kindly chase them off or do I let them have their way. The ground is soft and full of holes right now, and that's most unusual for hard desert ground.

I have one good hunting male cat who does what he can, read bring hammy home, play with then let go....but I'd really like to have them all go away. Any suggestions???? Can't they be highly rabid when wild like that?

Thank you all so much............I'll try anything!!!!!....You see, I can hardly walk back there without falling into holes!!!! Afraid I'll break an ankle one of these days....

--------------------

HAMSTERS!? new
      #62408 - 04/19/04 04:25 AM
jenX

people should be shot. why would anyone let hamsters go in the wild!?

oy vey. well, don't worry about rabies. tiny guys like that, i've been told, aren't a huge rabies risk because even if they're exposed to the virus, they're so small that they die quickly. mice, bunnies, shrews... they just aren't huge rabies threats, from what i've always been told.

as for getting rid of them... no idea! i have no idea what would be a hamster deterrant. i don't have much hamster knowledge, unfortunatley...

--------------------

Thank you for the advice....bunny has been released..... new
      #62476 - 04/19/04 07:49 AM
Nugget

I released him this morning. He was playing all night in his box keeping me awake. So he made a full recovery I think. We live in the country so I found a nice grassy area to release him.

baby bunny update...... new
      #62478 - 04/19/04 07:53 AM
Nugget

Well, I released the baby bunny this morning. He seems to have made a full recovery. He kept me awake last night as he was jumping and scratching around in the box we had him in (nice big box with towels, grass, water, stuffed animal, etc....a regular bunny Taj Mahal!). Hated to seem him go...but we live in the country and he needed to be out with the other baby bunnies.

Re: HAMSTERS!? new
      #62522 - 04/19/04 08:55 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Well, I have NO idea how I got the colony of hamsters, but just like all my other animals, they are with me because of irresponsible pet owners that moved off and left them.
If I can't get them to move I suppose the only salvation is to let them stay. I'd like to be able to catch them but haven't a clue as to how. Maybe I'll call animal control and see what they have to say.
I feel sorry for the little guys but know they are having an underground feast on the roots of my plants and trees, not to mention what gets thrown out for the other wildlife. (No wonder they stay.)

Thanks for your help..........and advise. I was a bit worried about the rabies factor!!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3243 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 789

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review