All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Re: Just curious..... new
      #54414 - 03/25/04 10:23 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Terri, I agree with you...religion and politics is just not something I talk about openly about with people I don't know well.

Growing up I had a very worldly mother who made me go to all the various houses of worship with my little girl friends who had various religious beliefs. Through that exercise she taught me respect for all the various religions in the US. A lot of us fail to realize that Christianity is still a small religion compared to the actual numbers of people who worship other faiths, yet all are related in their basic premise.

Now about being Baptist. I'm not but I married one. Do any of you Baptists know the difference between a Northern Baptist and a Southern Baptist?

A Northern Baptist says "there ain't no hell", and a Southern Baptist says, "to hell, there ain't!" LOL

Even my devote Southern Baptist mother-in-law, now 98 years young howled over that one and even told it to her pastor!!!!

Oh, , how I love southern humor!!!!

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#54465 - 03/26/04 07:33 AM
JBI

Reged: 01/25/04
Loc: BC, Canada

Quote:

The idea of being married to my high school sweetheart makes me giggle. I've heard rumors that he came out of the closet when he was in college. Umm... guess that wasn't meant for the long term.

That's kinda funny, my highschool sweet heart (we dated for two years) did that as well. I got to meet her and her new partner at a wedding a couple years back, that was um, different.

"Not that there's anything wrong with it" (Jerry Sienfeld)

love that joke, eyebser2 new
      #54678 - 03/26/04 11:40 AM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

That's a very funny joke! Made me laugh! Can't wait wait to tell my husband this one!
Terri

Non-denom for me! Hey Linz... new
      #54863 - 03/26/04 05:42 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

I was raised non-denominational, then when I was about 10 my mom got married to a Lutheran and we began goign to his church. They were divorced 2 years later but we stayed with that chruch for another 3 years since I went to school there. Now we've switched abck to non-denom because well....no offense to the Lutherans but it's jsut so boring! You have to sit up straight and be focused on the preacher the entire time or else ou'll get a nasty look from te elders. Children aren't encouraged to be in church and you have to sit and stand every five minutes to sing a holy hymn! Ok sorry, nobody else at my Lutheran schools believes me when I tell them about how great a non-denom church is, so I had to tell somebody. Non-denom is very open and loving, and they're always willing to help you through your problems! At our Lutheran church, they didn't call or offer help or anything when they found out that my mom was getting divorced! Anyways......

Linz, isn't the CoE an Anglican church? i've always wondered what's different about Anglicans and other denominations?

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

#54864 - 03/26/04 05:45 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Quote:

Right now, I'm reading "The Purpose Driven Life". Anyone else read it?

My church jsut did a huge "40 Days of Purpose" that was completely based on theat book! They gave otu free copies and my mom joined the classes. She said that they were excellent and she loved the book!

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

Re: Just curious/for TeeCee new
      #54866 - 03/26/04 05:52 PM

Unregistered

Hi TeeCee,
I have not read "The Purpose Driven Life" but I heard it was very good. I like to read Francine Rivers' Christian fiction books, Jan Karon, Beth Moore...I am reading random passages/books of scripture at this time. I used to attend a Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) It's cool, very intense study and non-denominational. They are in large cities all over the world.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 660 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15788

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review