All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Re: Good for you Jules!! new
      #54214 - 03/25/04 10:29 AM
crc

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Maine

Smart Girl to listen to those signs, I have missed some of those, even when they are banging you over the head!! Oh well, live and learn. Definitely read that book at some point in your life.
I love your qoute at the end of your messages, makes me laugh every time and so applicable in so many situations!!
Cindy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Just curious..... new
      #54218 - 03/25/04 10:34 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

good question! I'm just not sure of my answer. I wasn't brought up with religion, I remember going to church for special occasions only, like weddings and such.

When I was 18 I married my high school sweatheart. His family was Catholic so I was going to get married in his families church. Well, in order to do that you had to meet the Priest and take classes. Ok, I was willing to do that. In the first meeting with the Priest one of the very first questions he asked me was "How long have my parent been married?" I told him my parents lived together for 10 years before seperating but were never officially married. He had the balls(sorry, but this really upsets me) to tell me "I was a child of sin, not welcome in the church and how could I even live with myself? LIKE I HAD A CHOICE IN THE MATTER!!!

Needless to say after that I got into a huge fight with his mom. We did marry but it was in a little country church, not even sure what denomination. So after that I have been pretty soured on religion. Just for the record my first husband had an affair about 3 years after we got married and got a girl at his work pregnant. I divorced him (obviously!) and moved on with my life. About one year after our divorce, he was murdered by another employee trying to rob the restraunt he was the manager at. If I believe we should have the death sentance in MI does that go against religion?

It is a topic I have been thinking about lately because I am trying to have a baby. My hubby grew up in a small town and went to the little country church there but doesn't really believe in organized religion. When we are at his parents, we go to church on holidays but thats about it. I haven't discussed too much with my hubby about what to raise our child as because, well, he wants to wait until we know for positive that I'm pregnant to discuss anything to do with the baby!

Now with all that being said, can you believe my brother-in-law is moving to Russia to become a missionary?!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Jules, I agree with Jen! new
      #54224 - 03/25/04 10:46 AM

Unregistered

Everything does happen for a reason, and I believe your fiance is "Mr. Right"! Hand picked for you by God.

I have friends and family who are Agnostic, Athiest, other denominations, etc. But I still LOVE and TREASURE them!!
Sounds like your ex-in-laws lost site of God's greatest commandment...That we LOVE one another with brotherly love.

#54226 - 03/25/04 10:51 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I'm an inactive Mormon if there is such a thing?

I was baptized in 1988... I have not been to church since oh....1990?

Prior to that...I did not have one....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#54230 - 03/25/04 11:06 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Quote:

Speaking of this topic...I just finished reading "The Da Vinci Code". Wow! Has any one else read this book?

No, but it's on my list of books to read SOON!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Run away! Run away! new
      #54232 - 03/25/04 11:12 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Yay for Monty Python and the Holy Grail! That's one of the funniest movies ever. I agree, it really gets in your head. I recently read a book about the grail and whenever they mentioned Camelot I couldn't help thinking, "On second thought, let's not go to Camelot, 'tis a silly place."

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#54243 - 03/25/04 11:43 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Wow... I'm so sorry Jules and Michele that that stuff happened to you.

We went to Christian church when I was little (the kind of Church that's "just Christian") But we had similar problems... my sister kept getting beat up in Sunday School and no one did anything about it. The minister (who had a young wife and child) got caught naked in the Church Secretary's closet. They started spending all of their time collecting money for a new building and none of it on religion. So we stopped going. I really liked singing in the choir and playing handbells, but not the rest of it.

Now, my husband is an atheist and I probably am as well. I have a lot of friends who are devout believers in their religions, and I respect them. I haven't had good experiences with a lot of facets of religions, but I try to look at every person as an individual and not make sweeping judgements about anyone based on what religion they say they are.

I hope that makes sense.

#54277 - 03/25/04 02:19 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

Quote:

I'm an inactive Mormon if there is such a thing?

I was baptized in 1988... I have not been to church since oh....1990?

Yes Shell there is such a thing! What happened? Are your parents mormons? Or were you converted?

I'm mormon. But a really laid back mormon. I was married at 17 and had my son 7 months later. I'm active but have not been to the Temple...don't know when I will. My family and my husbands are both active. Hubby has issues atm..with religion! He goes through phases! Any how....that's interisting!

--------------------

#54280 - 03/25/04 02:25 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Wow! You got married at 17? Props to you for being so mature! There's no way I was ready for marriage then. You are very impressive!

#54284 - 03/25/04 02:28 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

Well thanks!!! But ya know there was a baby on the way!! OOPS It was the best thing to do...besides we were going to get married anyway...just not that soon! We would have waited another year or two..But Dylan( my son )was just to excited to get here!!! Now we will have been married for 7 years on April 11th. We have known each other for almost 10!!! Wow how the time flys!!!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1136 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15784

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review