All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help for a Newbie
      #361725 - 10/27/10 07:41 PM
RPatrick

Reged: 10/27/10
Loc: Silver Spring, MD

I'm so thrilled that this place exist. I NEED people to talk to who know. And you know.
Here's the problem, after numerous testing, the last of which was a colonoscopy that was clear, I'm settling in to my 'diagnosis' of IBS. I still need to be tested for ovarian cancer, but here's the problem. I have to take nutritional supplements every single day. Why, because about 8 weeks ago, after constant complaints of trembling in my extremities, my doc tested my vitamin d level and it was below the charts. But here's what I've noticed. I'm hummin' along and then I forget my supplements (calcium, magn, potass, vit c, vit d, etc.) for just one day (not even 24 hours) and the shakes and trembles come back. Just had one in my left leg. It would seem that I can't hold on to nutrients. Is this typical of IBS, or should I be looking at an additional problem, like malabsorption issues? Any clues? I'm trying to be a step ahead of the quack at all times. I'm probably years ahead of him now. Please advise.
Thanks for listening.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help for a Newbie new
      #361739 - 10/28/10 07:45 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Hello and WELCOME!

Yes, if you are prone to diarrehea (D), especially directly after eating, you can be voiding out many of the nutrients you are consuming.

It happened to me for about 2 years during an uncontrollable flare. I was put on a number of vitamin supplements at the time too. If you are only deficient in vitamin D, you can try just taking that supplement, unless the rest were suggested by your physician.

But I don't know if the deficiency would cause the shakes. But if you're "losing" all that you're eating because of D, then that could be a reason for the shakes. I know it happens to me with bad attacks.

Welcome, again, and good luck!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Re: Help for a Newbie new
      #361783 - 10/31/10 03:58 AM
RPatrick

Oh thank you so so much. That makes me feel better. You can start to feel like you're losing your mind and the docs just stare at you. I'm going to stay on with the vitamins and see how it levels out. I'm not really sure what an attack is, as far as how long it would last. I'm feeling much better with the suggesting of this site and so I don't really know if this is still an attack. Is an attack over when you can eat regular foods?

Vitamin withdrawal new
      #361809 - 11/01/10 08:55 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hello and welcome!

Your symptoms after skipping a vitamin is a common one, for a large percentage of people, not just IBS-ers! Don't be alarmed! If you take vitamin in the morning and skip a dose the next time, you will feel *awful* the next day. It's a kind of "withdrawal" your body goes through after becoming quickly dependent. Remember, vitamins are chemicals. Nowadays, most people who take multivitamins forget that!!

I take a calcium+D supplement, but when I forget it I feel HORRIBLE the next day. It's abject misery, but it does not affect my IBS. I get back pains and chills and just feel awful!

When my good friend who works as a FedEx delivery driver misses her multi-vitamin in her rush to get out the door, and feels terrible the whole day... and she's the healthiest person I know. My BF takes one too, but doesn't feel bad when skipping a dose. Go figure!

The good news? The "downs" just last a day.

Unfortunately, the thought of missing a dose has driven me to stop taking calcium for periods of time... I get fibro fog and I know I can't trust myself to remember to take it every single morning. I've used this as an excuse to rationalize not taking it over periods of time, although I know it's in my best interest since I'm on the depo shot, and my gyno insists It Must Be Done. It's easier to lie to my gyno, LOL.

Maybe I should stock up and make it my New Year's resolution to take calcium+D for a year without missing a dose... Tho, I must admit, I only notice a difference when I do *not* take it. My blood tests bust me, hahaha.

Welcome again, RPatrick! There's a lot of caring people on these boards with a good ear and helpful information! Best,

~nelly~

Re: Vitamin withdrawal new
      #361820 - 11/01/10 11:11 AM
RPatrick

thanks so much for the vitamin withdrawal notes. i had no idea. neither do the doctors, i might add. from time to time i have to refer them as quacks for obvious reasons. i'm going to keep up the D 'cuz I think that's the trouble maker. some days I just get mad and say, "why do I have to take this stuff and no one else does?" the rebellion is short lived as no one hears me, including my body. Glad to know there are others like me.

Re: Vitamin withdrawal new
      #361831 - 11/02/10 09:32 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Doctors are horrible. I've had some real idiots in my time too. The worst: "You shouldn't be feeling pain there because the tests are all normal so there's nothing wrong with you." Moron. I've gone through ones in so many specialties that now when I find a good one, I keep them for life!

It was this great random doc at planned parenthood who told me that feeling withdrawal from vitamins was normal for some people. To feel vindicated by a doctor... my jaw dropped.

~nelly~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 593 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4961

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review