All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
hey everyone, I´m a newbie here :)
      #360987 - 09/17/10 03:32 PM
savannah

Reged: 09/17/10

Hey everyone,

This is my first post so I might try and introduce myself.In the first place, I´ve been suffering from IBS ( mainly gas and extreme pains) ever since I was about 7 years old - now being 23 that makes about 15 years
of suffering I´ve spent so many days (and years) in school in stomach cramps that I felt like dying and it makes me cry everytime I think about it. I just never had a normal childhood/teenage/young adult experiences like everyone else.. I had to spend too much time dealing with my bowels..

Anyways, I just got my bachelor´s degree in business last year and I´m about to start a Master´s program this month... apart from IBS I´ve developed severe anxiety/insomnia/social anxiety in college. Last year was the worst, I had so many mental issues that I hardly passed all my exams and by now I´m not really sure how I made it to graduation.

I´m gonna be a part time student now and I found myself a part-time job in a small shop to help me cover some of my expenses. I´m not really sure how I´m gonna be able to handle that, especially my stomach.

I´ve already tried a few antidepressants but most of them have the same effects on me - constipation and urinary problems ( running to the bathroom all the time). I feel like I really need some antideps to help me get through this tough period of my life... to help me deal with school stress and all the stuff that comes with it.
Has anyone here had a good experience with IBS - friendly antidepressants that don´t cause constipation?

I´m at the point of my life where everyone around me is thinking about their future and talking about future jobs/careers... and I feel so lost. I can´t imagine having a 9-5 job, sitting somewhere in an office for hours in terrible pains, that´s just not acceptable for me, I´m not willing to spend the next 15 years of my life suffering in silence.
I was actually thinking about becoming a translator, so that I could work from home and adjust my schedule to my IBS ( that makes me so mad, having to plan everything around IBS ). But that would require next several years of education ... I like languages but I´m not really sure if I can make it, considering my mental and IBS problems.

What do you guys do for living? Did you consider IBS as an important factor when choosing your job?

Anyways, tomorrow is the first day in my new job ( it´s really just a small job but I´m already stressed out - the anxiety is creeping in already)

I think I need some advice and support from people who know how hard it is to be "normal" when you have IBS and want to find a job.

Thanks for reading and any advice will be appreciated.

Savannah

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: hey everyone, I´m a newbie here :) new
      #360991 - 09/18/10 09:07 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Hey Welcome.

Hope you do find some help here.

A couple things I can think of to help you out are,

St Johns Wort,it is a natural product that can seriously help with your anxiety.It may take a few weeks but it does have a good calming effect.

I take Lorazepam as an anti anxiety.I only take it on bad days and when I am not comfortable going somewhere.It tastes horrible but I let it dissolve in my mouth first instead of just swallowing,it makes me feel like its going to work faster.Sometimes just having my pills with me keeps away the panic.
It took me almost nine years before finally getting them and I wish I had done it sooner.

Slippery Elm can be a great help to soothe irritated bowels too.It stopped my chronic D after gallbladder surgery in three days,life saver!

Probiotics can help also,either yogurt if you can handle it or acidophilus pills available at the pharmacy.

Are you prone to constipation or diarrhea?
If your a D'er,then,Imodium makes a great product,Imodium Advanced.It works on D and cramps,bloating and pain.Take a few in the morning.I find sometimes it doesn't matter how early I get up in the morning,right before I have to leave I need to use the bathroom.

The best thing you can do is take some extra time in the morning and get to your new job early just in case you do need to use the washroom.You will be able to do so without it cutting into your work schedule.

Also talking to your manager and telling them you do have bowel issues or stomach issues could help.Feel them out and see if they are easy going enough to understand.

Kudos for you for pushing through and going to school.With a little help you will be able to live a "normal" life.

Try to keep things in perspective too.IBS won't kill you.If you have to leave a room and use the washroom do it.No one is really paying attention to when you come and go.I think for many people just the thought of using a public bathroom will set off their IBS,I know it did for me but I have just said,I don't care anymore.I want my life back and if I have to go poo in a public bathroom..damn it..I will!!!

So eat the EFI diet and snack on safe foods,take your Imodium and drink lots of water too.
take a deep breath and tell yourself,you're taking your life back.

HTH
dragonfly

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#361001 - 09/18/10 02:11 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Aww Savannah, it is tough! I have a suggestion for you. Before going the drug route, why not try the hypnosis CDs, sold here. They have helped me more than anything else I have tried, including diet.

As far as a job goes, I am a graphic designer/artist and work at home often. But, not because of IBS, but because it just worked out that way. I refuse to let IBS rule or define my life.

Good luck on your journey!

#361016 - 09/19/10 09:04 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Hi Savannah and welcome!

My daughter just graduated from college too, and I know from talking to her how the anxiety can be so overwhelming. Do consider the hypnotherapy - it has no side effects, can be used with meds, and is relatively cheap - the whole program is less than one visit in person, and comes with free support if you need it.

Many folks wish they would have tried it first and saved themselves a lot of aggro - I have had IBS since 1983 - been on just about every med there is and was, and the hypno program helped me the most...

If you have any questions, do ask - we are happy to help - read my link below if you wish...

There is hope - you can start your new career and feel well - it can be done! All the best to you, hon!

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 928 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3752

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review