All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS but can eat trigger foods?
      #360151 - 08/07/10 02:41 PM
Harry

Reged: 08/07/10

Hi, I've had IBS for 6 months now.
I have cut ALL trigger foods from my diet and mostly eat Soluble fiber w/ some insoluble.
My mother claims to have IBS as well, yet she can eat a Meatlovers Pizza and be completely fine. As well as that she can drink caffeine, eat steak, fried foods and she hardly eats any soluable fiber at all.
She said she got ibs years ago and it comes on and off (diarheaa/constipation) (only for 1-2 days max) but either way she never has to stop her diet for it to get better.
Now my question is will I be able to eat like this after a few years of having IBS? And do you believe she has it or do you think just as i do that she's making it up to make me feel better?

Thx in advance
Harry

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS but can eat trigger foods? new
      #360152 - 08/07/10 04:18 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

If I had to hazard a guess I would say she doesn't have IBS.
However,what is her personality?I have a grandmother who has whatever you have and has it worse and for longer...get the picture?
How are you managing though?
Some people can eat trigger foods for months and then get blasted(me)It all depends,its best to eat safe foods as much as possible.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#360153 - 08/07/10 04:37 PM
Harry

I'm doing better than I was since i eat rice once to twice a day every day now, i also make sure to eat soluble fiber w/ all my meals.
I know if I do cheat like i had some hot tea that wasnt decaff(was trying to see if caff affected me) and sure enough i paid for it the next day.
Now I drink Hot Citrus Decaff (taste like mountain dew so Im happy) and it hasnt been giving me problems.
Also if i eat alot of sweets it can hurt me the next day as well.
I am also curious if eating soluble fiber w/ a trigger food would ease the effects of the trigger?

#360156 - 08/07/10 07:46 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

You can try Rooibos tea,I think it tastes alot like reg tea and it won't give you any problems.
I am still figuring out what I really should eat but my fall back meal is always potatoes,carrots and chicken breast usually with a slice of fresh white bread.
I think if you load up on safe foods and only have a tiny bit of a trigger you can usually get by but thats only after you've been really stable for months.IMO.
Everyone is different and my biggest trigger is stress.Hard to avoid that!

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Rooibos Tea new
      #360306 - 08/13/10 07:31 PM
chrisk

Thanks Dragonfly, for the tip on Rooibos tea! I have been missing drinking my tea every day. Never realized that it could have been causing some of my stomach distress. Vitacost sells it pretty cheap...thought I'd mention that for anyone else that's interested.
I cut back on tea drinking (except for herbal)a few months ago, and am looking forward to Rooibos when the cooler weather hits. I'm from Mass.

Edited by chrisk (08/13/10 08:28 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 233 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5067

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review