All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction
      #354021 - 01/05/10 01:29 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Anyone know anything about this and specifically how to manage the pain?

3 Advil and a Tylenol 3 with codiene only gave me heartburn ,stomach pain and no relief.

Help!

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction new
      #354025 - 01/05/10 02:11 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Hey, Sweetie -
Sorry to hear about this. What drs. have you seen? Orthopedist or a Chiropractor?

I don't know exactly what this is - but, anything to do with the back - been there... Right now, they plan on treating the things I have been diagnosed with: Degenerative Disk Disease, Scoliosis, Sciatica, Buling Disks, 1 Herniated Disk, Bursitis - with physical therapy. I'm also checking into a new procedure at the chiropractor -decompression - hearing good and bad.

I can't handle any pain meds, just tylenol. But, find ice for inflammation and heat, i.e. heating pad, heat patches that apply to the skin (use every day) - are somewhat effective in managing the pain.

Tell me more about what the dr. told you....

{{Hugs}} ~ Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#354034 - 01/05/10 03:53 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

My dad had something like this. I will ask him.

#354037 - 01/05/10 04:20 PM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

I had been experiencing a lot of back, hip and leg pain and my orthopedist said this was my problem. I started to go to physical therapy. It has taken several weeks, but I'm starting to see a difference. It'll probably take a long time, but I think it'll work.

Forget the drugs. All they do is make me sick without helping.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#354102 - 01/06/10 11:57 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I don't know anything about it but I just wanted to tell you that I hope you find a way to control the pain so that you can be comfortable.

I am sorry sweetie,

--------------------
Janey

#354106 - 01/06/10 12:19 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Dragonfly, I asked my dad. He couldn't remember the name, but said drugs did not help much. They seem to escalate the pain, when they wore off. He said that he went for physical therapy, some hydro-therapy (I think it's called),chiropractic care, which helped and started walking 5 miles a day gradually. He said in the beginning of walking it was more painful, but now his pain is minimal. I don't know that it is the same disorder that you have but he said he had intense hip, thigh, back pain.

HTH

#354150 - 01/07/10 05:36 AM
dragonfly

Thanks everyone.
I can't get in to see the Doc til tomorrow so in the mean time, I've been doing my own research and I don't think my problem right now is exactly SI Joint Dysfunction.
It might be in the long term.I know I have arthritis.
I have a shorter leg and that messes up everything but...in my research I found something called ...Trochanteric Bursitis.
This seems to descibe the symptoms so much better so I 'm going to ask the Doc tomorrow about both.

I iced my hip and have been sleeping on a recliner,I can walk with a pretty good limp and only feel the severe pain in certain positions(sorry hunny not tonight )
As with everything though,the rest of my leg and the other one are achy now too.
Otherwise today is much better,my hip "popped " last night and things seem less painful.

I'll tell ya though,Advil and Tylenol 3's have done a job on my stomach,I've been eating bread like crazy and I'm sure its all going to my butt!

Thanks again you guys.
Chris

--------------------

#354319 - 01/09/10 04:21 AM
GaGa

Chris -

Just checking on you... Did you see the doctor? If so, what did you find out?

Hope the pain has lessened...

Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#354321 - 01/09/10 05:41 AM
dragonfly

Dorthy,
Yes I saw my Nurse practitioner,I refer to her as my doc since shes the only one I ever see.She is sending me for a pelvic x-ray but agreed with me that it is not SI joint but trochanteric bursitis.
I iced it and felt much better.
It is going to reoccur she informed me too.Great

I am also going in for a pelvic ultrasound to check for cysts on my ovaries because I have very painful ovulation.

Then she informs me she has gotten a new job offer and will be leaving!!!!!
Friday was her last day!!!What the heck am I going to do now?Shes the only one who understands everything I 've dealt with with IBS and my anxiety issues!!!I'm just freakin out a little now.
They haven't even found replacement for her.As if they could!!!grrrr

So how have you been?Whats up with your back?You mentioned you were having pain issues too.
I hope the weather improves for you down south,it's cold with lots of snow here but it is Ontario so what ya gonna do?

Take care Dorthy,you're in my thoughts and prayers often.
Chris

--------------------

#354361 - 01/09/10 07:52 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I was on work comp due to SI injury. I went through a great rehab program (mostly done after car accidents). It worked very well along with doing my own stretches and exercises. My problem wasn't as much constant pain but spasms. Do you have spasms? I would get on the floor to stretch and spasm so bad I couldn't get up and I would cry. My chiro/homeo said the SI injury was linked to digestive issues but I'm not sure how. I hurt mine trudging through deep snow in heavy boots. The spasms would cause the back of my waist to spasm the worst and basically shorten that leg and then my lower back would hurt.
Part of the rehab was back strengthening exercises. They bought me a Roman Chair and I still use it every week.

Maybe topical treatments would manage pain better since the narcotic types hurt the tummy. I have some arnica gel that is supposed to help and it is natural.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#354365 - 01/09/10 08:00 PM
dragonfly

Thanks Little Minnie

I don't do narcotics under any circumstance so thats no problem.I found out its not SI its trochanteric bursitis.I am going for x rays to make sure I don't have anything really outta whack or if I have developed spurs or something but I have a shorter leg and have always known I'd end up in trouble with my hips.

I am curious to know what stretches you do.I was told to research it online or I could go to physio.How do you stretch?

--------------------

Re: Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction+Little Minnie new
      #354372 - 01/10/10 10:02 AM
GaGa

Thank you for your post in reply to Dragonfly/Chris...
I have been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, sciatica, 2 bulging and 1 herniated disc and scoliosis, etc., I am interested in hearing about your rehab.

I have lived with most of these problems for quite some time and when they got real bad would go back to chiropractor and after a few weeks - all better. This time it did not work, so I saw an Orthopedist who did the MRI and found the herniated disc had worsened and is pressing on my spinal column???

My chiropractor wants to use the new decompression machine - DRX 9000 - he has had excellent results and uses it himself. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time saying "OK". I guess I'm also fearful due to the unpredictable IBS flares - i.e. the decompression therapy is supposed to be daily.... Insurance won't pay, but at this point - just being able to walk without pain and to resume normal activities - price is not a factor. He said when we finish the series of decompression therapy, then he will start physical therapy. Do you have any knowledge of decompression therapy with this new machine?

My Orthopedist said it's not at the point for surgery - Thank God! - but, wants me to go to physical therapy/back rehab. Have gone through this 2 x before and I know I should have kept up the exercises/stretches. But, that's hindsight... I guess I don't see how I can do P.T. until I can move more freely. I can just bend over and my back may freeze and spasm - then it's 3 days on ice/heat - unable to sit or walk w/o great pain. Pain really doesn't describe it, does it??? It's like a charley horse - you feel like something is going to break and you can't stop it. I don't do pain pills b/c of weird reactions to meds. Just walking in the grocery store w/o fear of back freezing would be a blessing.

Sorry to ramble, just need help making a decision - which direction????

Thank you for any information/light on this subject.

Blessings! ~ Dorothy

--------------------

#354373 - 01/10/10 10:12 AM
GaGa

Hey, Sweetie -

Sending prayers for your quick healing. Certainly can "feel your pain"!

I also understand about the Nurse Practitioner. I've been with mine since 1988!!!! She's been through the whole "grocery list" of things I've been diagnosed with from CFIDS to kidney cysts to occular migraines, to the IBS, you name it!! It's almost to the point I tell her what I need! But, in actuality, we really have to be our own advocates, don't we? I mean, she still tries to give me decongestants, when she should remember I can't take them because of BP - last time sent me to ER! But, I just throw away the prescription now.
She has become a dear friend over the years and since I don't trust easily, I would be just like you at the thought of someone new. So, I'll be praying God send someone who 1) listens to you, 2) has empathy, 3) takes time, 4) you feel very comfortable with....
Glad the hip is better - maybe that "pop" was what you needed! I understand about one leg shorter - mine too - due to scoliosis.
Praying you will soon have an answer and be pain free!
{{Hugs}} ~ Dorothy

P.S. Sadly,no snow - just extremely cold (wind chill in teens). But, can you believe it snowed in Tampa and Orlando - central Florida and not here???????? Whassup with that???

--------------------

#354422 - 01/11/10 04:40 PM
Little Minnie

I don't have any special back knowledge but I do think those new devices for compressed discs seem really hopeful. My husband had a discectomy. It had gotten too far for treatment and had started to chip, but otherwise we would have gone with the decompression method.

The rehab I did was a special program attached to a big medical clinic. They do mostly car accidents/whiplash. They have machines made to strengthen your back and neck plus they have you do aerobics and weightlifting to your ability. You think you'll never be able to do these machines but you can. It helped me a lot.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#354423 - 01/11/10 04:42 PM
Little Minnie

I don't know if I could or should explain any stretches. I also don't know anything about this other condition. I can't believe anyone would say research them online because you could do stretches not right for you.

--------------------

#354455 - 01/12/10 03:27 PM
GaGa

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I am about 98% persuaded to try it. It's a 6-week decompression treatment using the DRX9000, 5 days a week for 2 weeks, then 3 x a week, etc. Plus, they do TENS and ice therapy immediately following to prevent spasms. Plus you wear a back support that contains a place for an ice pack every day, all day. My chiropractor is the only one who has this machine in about a 300-mile radius and he has had very positive results. They also use the same machine at the Texas Spine Institute and several others I've check on line.

Following this, they start stretching exercises and physical therapy.

I think it's a viable alternative to surgery - while I still have that option.

Thank you, again... ~ Dorothy

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4237 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7885

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review