All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Typical timeline of IBS? - Syl new
      #351756 - 11/07/09 03:09 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Where can you have the breath test for lactlose done? Do I need to see an allergist?

I'm ready to try most everything. Once again, IBS presenting different symptoms - severely trapped gas - I'm guessing - rib cage, back - swelling unerneath rib cage, colon/stomach area and spasms in my transcending colon, so bad it feels like a baby kicking from inside!
When you go through the "D" - that seems the worse. Then you go through the "C" and that seems the worse. Now, this pain almost disables me...

Thank you for being our scientific guru! ~ Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#351757 - 11/07/09 04:15 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I have similar pain in the ascending colon. Removing fruit, sauces, etc with excess fructose such as apples, pears, melons, grapes, etc made a big difference for me. Have you been tested from lactose and fructose malabsorption? If no you might ask you GP or GI doc for these tests.

The lactulose breath test has been shown to be inaccurate for testing for SIBO. The glucose breath is accurate. These tests are requested by a GP or GI doctor. However, be aware that there is a low correlation between SIBO and IBS.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#351774 - 11/07/09 11:29 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Well I can't answer your question about the breath test.

However, I CAN relate to your comment about being pregnant and having a baby kicking inside of your tummy! I have had a hysterectomy and so I knew there was no baby, though wondered if my still remaining ovaries were kicking up a storm!... or even worse, that I might be developing some type of horrible abdominal tumor.

Not so, simple (yet not so simple) IBS! IBS seems to replicate a lot of different health issues that are not there. No sense spending a fortune exploring these if one learns how to eat properly, particulary learning the differences between soluable and insoluable fiber.

Sadly, doctors go pretty much exclusively by their medical training for standard of the industry, aren't necessarily willing to learn more, and cost us a lot of unnecessary money and a significant amount of anguish, confusion and stress!

I urge people to take charge of their own health care and educate themselves. If they should run into a stumbling block that they cannot reasonably overcome, then seek out a good doctor or practitioner.

Do remember that they are not gods. They only know what they know or are willing to learn. My doctor even sent me for a psychiatric evaluation at one point, which proved to be a non-psychiatric problem. At that point I had been willing to do almost anything to get rid of the constant diarrhea.

Next I was sent to a hospital dietician who suggested that I eat more veggies (raw!). My gut was torn up even more.

When are those in the helping industries going to ever get it???

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Re: Typical timeline of IBS? new
      #351775 - 11/07/09 11:37 AM
Windchimes

I hope you will discard the Librium and continue the Imodium as needed. Librium is not a good treatment for IBS GI symptoms, just something to calm you down mentally and in the meanwhile risking an addiction to it.

Be careful with this one! Take charge of the symptoms by what you eat, and forget the mind-altering prescription drugs that do not do anything at all for controlling IBS.

--------------------

#351777 - 11/07/09 12:19 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

Yes I am slowly stopping the librium don't want to do it all of a sudden and I will continue with the lomotil. It seems as long as I don't have the urgency issues I don't have the anxiety issues and since lomotil takes that away I don't feel I need the Librium. My doc does want me to try Librax but it gave me headaches and so I stopped. One thing at a time for me, get off the Librium and then we'll see from there. I do seem to do better if I don't eat anything with high fructose and stuff like yogurt. I mainly stick with rice, waffles, french bread, noodles, tortillas and such.

#351778 - 11/07/09 12:20 PM
mrae

One more thing to add. The only symptoms I have is the urgent bowel movements. I don't have the naseau or pain or gas, bloating anything of the sort just urgent bowel movements. I guess ibs comes in all different symptoms.

#351779 - 11/07/09 01:11 PM
Windchimes

Yes, you are absolutely right... IBS control is very different for everyone. We each need to consider our options, and give things a trial and error process. If you stick to the basics and then give other things a try, absent mixing multiple things, you will find out what your personal 'triggers' actually are.

Prescription drugs such as Librium is mind-altering and not something is beneficial for resolving gastrointestinal problems effectively. It can put people into a 'fog' that leaves one not knowing which end is up nor which end is down.

I encourage you to get off of it and ask your doctor for a mild SSRI instead. The SSRI can help the gut and mind communicate better for a lot of people, like myself.

I personally would be leary of any doctor who prescribes Librium for IBS symptoms. Sounds like he wants to get the 'monkey' off of his back... you being his patient.

Just another example of how medical doctors rarely know how to effectively treat this condition and prefer to drug and dismiss their patient.

--------------------

#351789 - 11/07/09 07:06 PM
mrae

What SSRI's would be good for ibs-d? That way I have an idea on what to ask my new doctor.

#351797 - 11/08/09 04:43 AM
Windchimes

From what I understand, low dose Paxil or Zoloft helps to manage the gut-brain mis-communication. I personally take low dose Paxil at dinnertime and sleep well. I have found no side-effects taking this at night. Some say taking this in the morning leaves them feeling drowsy during the day.

This is something that really should not alter the mind at all, but does seemingly work well where the serotonin re-uptake inhibitors are lacking in one's own body.

Do discuss this with your doctor and see what he/she has to say about prescribing such. You can also research these meds online to see what things they are prescribed for and a list of potential side-effects.

If you think such might be helpful for you, ask your doctor if he has a 7-10 day sample for you to try. Usually they do, samples provided by pharmaceutical companies through their reps.

--------------------

#351817 - 11/08/09 02:50 PM
mrae

Are you ibs-d? From what I looked up ssri's could make ibs-d worse and that they are used mainly for ibs-c.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3521 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8860

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review