All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Pregnancy and IBS
      #350704 - 10/09/09 06:07 PM
goldiloks72

Reged: 07/28/09

Has anyone on here with IBS gone through a pregnancy? If so How did you all feel? I am going to be 38 years old and would like to have a baby but I am terrified of what will happen to me. If I had horrible attacks like I do now I would not be able to take the meds I need to prevent the vomiting phase. I appreciate any stories or experiences!
Julie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pregnancy and IBS new
      #350720 - 10/10/09 03:10 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Hi Julie,

I understand your fears. I actually spent a good year stabilizing before I got pregnant, and was grateful I did. Pregnancy was actually great for my IBS, tho not everyone has that experience. Some meds are actually safe to use during pregnancy, so check with your doctor to make sure yours aren't. Or perhaps they could switch you to something that IS safe so you could take it if needed.

On another note, breastfeeding has been almost a "cure" for my IBS! Good luck!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#350722 - 10/10/09 05:26 PM
goldiloks72

Hi there,
Thank you so much for writing back. You give me hope! I just started Ametriptyline and want to stay on it a little while and then hopefully wean myself off of it before we try to get pregnant. I am hoping the meds will stop a very violent and painful cycle of attacks that have caused bouts of vomiting. By the way I see you are in Lakewood! I am in G.J.
Julie

#350738 - 10/12/09 07:18 AM
ajtheartist

Reged: 08/02/07
Loc: Lincoln, UK

Hi
I'm 37, have IBS C and am currently 26 weeks pregnant. Like you I get the vomiting attacks and used to be on amitriptyline. I was particularly susceptible to attacks when I got my period and for the first 9 weeks of pregnancy I didn't get one at all. They have returned to an extent at the moment, there's no rhyme or reason to them - I don't know what sets them off - but there's very little one can take for them. Nevertheless, don't let IBS deter you from motherhood, you'd be amazed how resilient and determined it makes you. I've discovered I can stomach some complan (a meal replacement drink) on days when the attacks happen so baby and I get our energy, vits and minerals. When my little one kicks and wriggles it's lovely and inspires me stay with my great diet and excercise plan. My midwife assures me she's never had an IBS patient who had complications in labour or birth as a result of the IBS.
I wish you every success both with stablising the IBS and with your journey to motherhood.
AJ + bump

#350743 - 10/12/09 11:52 AM
goldiloks72

Dear AJ,
Thank you for writing back. I am glad we found one another. It sounds like our attacks are somewhat similar. Thank you for writing. It was so weird how this whole thing came about. 2 years ago almost exactly I had my first attack and vomited 3 times. We thought it was food poisoning. Then 3 months later the same thing happened and continued every 3-4 months. At the time I had the Merina IUD. Once the 5 years came close to removing the IUD the attacks came closer together. Since May I have had monthly attacks. Hormones definitely play a role. Since past March I have had all the tests to make sure there wasn't something else wrong. I have so many questions for you. Are your attcks that are accompanied with vomiting painful? Mine are debilitating. How often do your attacks lead to vomiting? How long were you on the amytriptyline? Did you find that when you went off it things were a little better or stabilized? I am hoping to be on it temporarily.

Maybe this could be helpful? (Stomach migraine) new
      #350783 - 10/14/09 07:21 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

What you describe with painful attacks involving vomiting sounds like stomach migraine. This is an actual condition that now has diagnostic criteria (according to the Rome protocol). For people who get these attacks regular migraine medicine can stop the attacks. (For example you can use the type you squirt up your nose.) Migraine meds are not recommended during pregnancy but maybe it could help you in your life in general in case this is something your doctors have missed. I think this condition is still fairly unknown.

You can read some information about it here:

http://www.tummytrouble.co.uk/SymptomsOfStomachMigraines.html

Good luck!

/Ulrika (also pregnant at the moment)

Re: Maybe this could be helpful? (Stomach migraine) new
      #350800 - 10/14/09 04:39 PM
goldiloks72

Now this sounds like what I go through! I had a horrible attack last night. I ended up having to take the Triazolam to prevent the vomiting stage. After taking this drug I am better withing an hour. I am going to discuss this info with my doctor. I will let you know.
Thank you for writing,
Julie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2914 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3348

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review