All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ametriptyline for IBS?
      #350667 - 10/08/09 07:34 AM
goldiloks72

Reged: 07/28/09

Is anyone on Ametriptyline for IBS? I just started it and was wondering if anyone here was on it. I just started it and it takes a little while to start working because it is such a low dose. I would love some feedback.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ametriptyline for IBS? new
      #350676 - 10/08/09 11:58 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I actually take amitriptyline for migraines and it has the added benefit of helping with my IBS-D, nausea, and anxiety. The only down fall that I have found is that I have gained a little weight. I have decided that it is worth a few extra pounds to feel better though.

Good luck!

--------------------
Janey

#350681 - 10/08/09 02:30 PM
goldiloks72

Thanks! I am glad to hear some good feedback as I am early into taking it. I have IBS C and did hear and read that this drug can cause constipation. So far so good thanks to my 6 prunes a day:)I am on .10mg. Is that the does you are on? I am hoping that this drug will help me to not have the painful episodes once it starts taking effect.

#350683 - 10/08/09 05:30 PM
Janey

I am also taking 10mg at night before bed. I have heard that it can cause constipation. One other side effect I forgot to mention is that it causes me to have killer cravings for sweets. I have read that others have had the same side effect. I love sweets so this is difficult for me to resist.

The sweets are part of the weight gain and also because I have more of an appetite because I am not experiencing the nausea all the time. I try to eat a healthy diet and keep up with the exercise.

I hope it works for you and that you feel better!

--------------------
Janey

#350685 - 10/08/09 09:40 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Janey -
Good to see you on here. You are always so kind to everyone!
It's been a while since I've been on here and I'm shocked at how rude some comments to others are - amazing!
Take care and get ready for that wedding!
Blessings - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

GaGa new
      #350687 - 10/09/09 05:03 AM
Janey

Thank you very much for your post. I appreciate your support it means a lot. I have missed seeing you around also.

The wedding was at the end of June and it was a beautiful and magical evening. It is wonderful to see my daughter and son in law so much in love and I have never seen my daugher look so happy.

Hugs to you sweetie!

--------------------
Janey

#350689 - 10/09/09 07:04 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I was on a low dose many, many years ago (before I found more natural/alternative ways to handle my health issues), and I can't say that it helped me much. I hope it works for you.

#350694 - 10/09/09 12:14 PM
goldiloks72

I am hoping to be able to keep my issues under control with natural ways as well. I am hoping the Ametriptelyne will help stop the vicious cycle of attacks accompanied with vomiting. I am hoping to be on it for a little while and then wean off of it.

#350695 - 10/09/09 12:19 PM
goldiloks72

I read about constipation with the drug as well. I already have IBS C which I can manage very well with my diet. If this drug causes constipation I will have to go off of it. I am lucky and go once a day but I have had issues when I travel. I have gone up to 5 days without a movement! I am also trying acupuncture in hopes that the two will help hand in hand. I hope I won't have to be on meds forever because I am such a natural gal but I gotta do what I gotta do. Thanks for writing.

#350702 - 10/09/09 05:13 PM
goldiloks72

Can I ask what natural/alternatives you found to work? I am newly diagnosed and am hoping to not be on the meds forever.
Thanks!
Julie

For Julie new
      #350705 - 10/09/09 06:12 PM
Gerikat

Hi there, sure, I can share with you, but it probably isn't something you haven't already heard. Are you on the meds for the IBS or for depression? I found that I didn't feel better on it. But, that may not be your experience, so please listen to your doc and give it a realistic time frame to work for you. Everyone is different.

My main problem is anxiety, maybe with a tad bit of depression at times. It stems from a traumatic childhood incident, (which I won't go into the gory details). With the IBS, I can be C or D, but mostly C. What I find is the more I focus/dwell on it, the worse it is. I use meditation, yoga, hypnosis CD's, energy medicine, EFT and any form of alternative therapy that I decide to give a whirl. A combination of these have worked for me, especially meditation. There is an excellent book you might want to read by Jon Kabat-Zinn. It is called, "Full Catastrophe Living". It teaches you mindfulness and how to accept where you are at any given time. It seems when you fight "what is", it exacerbates your condition. It is a fantastic book!

What I have found, at least for myself, is that it is a process, if that makes sense. We seem to want a quick fix at times, for something that may take years to heal. That is why I stopped meds. The only med I will occasionally take is Immodium, but only in a pinch.

My diet is very, very simple. Lean protein, veggies, fruits, some nuts and seeds. I grow most of my own food, and the rest I buy organic. I don't do processed carbs, like white bread, white rice,etc., as they don't work for me. The make the C so much worse. I don't do many white starchy veggies, either. I also use no fiber supplements, and believe me, I have tried them all. They made me more gassy and bloated no matter how slowly I progressed. I can get the same thing from food. I go by the rule, if my grandmother didn't know what it was, then I don't eat it.

I differ in opinion from many here, in that I do feel you can heal. I think much of it, has to do with your day to day emotions, feelings, beliefs, stress level, etc. I think that you have to get to the "core" issue of your particular reason for developing IBS. Mine was childhood trauma. As I have worked through that, I found that I didn't need the meds, and I have started on the road to recovery.

I don't know if any of this will make sense to you, and I am sorry, some of it is hard to put into words. I don't follow Western medicine so much, as they tend to treat body parts, instead of the whole person.

You could have the best diet in the world, take every med the doc gives you, and still be suffering. Sometimes, it goes deeper.

Another book you might want to check out is "Clean", by Alejandro Junger. He is a cardiologist with IBS. I can't tell you much about the book at this point, since I just started it. But, I thought, wow, finally a doc who can emphathize. He KNOWS where we are coming from. One other book you might want to read, just to laugh is a very funny book. It is by Tim Phelan, and it is called, "Romance, Riches, and Restrooms". I LMAO. It is very, very good to laugh often!!!

This is all just one person's experience. You can take what you think may help you and leave the rest. I hope you find your path to healing.

HTH

Re: For Julie new
      #350712 - 10/09/09 07:24 PM
goldiloks72

Thank you so much for taking the time to write me. I just started the anmytripteline specifically for IBS. It has been a horrible and mysterious two years of violent, painful attacks that have caused me vomiting and feeling so much pain I feel like I am going to die. We have undergone every GI test and finally the docs came to the conclusion that I have IBS. Mostly IBS C which I am able to regulate with diet. I like you have always been on a whole foods diet. Now that I know for sure what I have I am trying everything to see what works which I expect to take time and have patience with. I believe what you say is true too. The more you fight the worse it gets. When my attacks get to a certain stage of pain in which I can tell will lead to vomiting I have found that a small dose of Valium stops the cycle in about an hour and saves my from bouts of vomiting. I only take that when I know there is no turning back. What I am hoping for is to be on these meds short term as well as continue the natural things and to eventually wean off of the meds. I also just started acupuncture. I am determined to get it under control. It has effected my social plans, my business plans and made me fear getting pregnant and having a child with my beloved husband. My mom had IBS but not with vomiting. I have read it is genetic so I wonder if that is where I got it from.
Thanks again,
Julie

#350713 - 10/09/09 07:46 PM
Gerikat

You have to do what you have to do when in extreme pain, including taking meds. That is not the time to try to make gradual changes. You are in too much pain. I have faith that you will find your way.

By the way, my mom has IBS too.

#350714 - 10/09/09 08:04 PM
goldiloks72

Thank you. Yes. I thank God that I can stop the cycle when it is acute. It would otherwise last up to 8 or more hours with 2-4 times of vomiting. It was torture.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1022 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6612

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review