All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Differing Approaches to Wheat
      #350438 - 09/29/09 04:57 PM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

I'm sorry to repeat myself but I really don't know what to think anymore. I posted the following on a different site...please let me know what you think.

I'M SO CONFUSED. I am long term sufferer of IBS-D but have only just found this site/blog. I am very active on the HelpForIBS.com site and am very puzzled at the differing approaches. HelpForIBS encourages the consumption of wheat products as long as they're not whole wheat (i.e. white bread, pasta etc.) as stabilizers while here, most advice is for a complete boycott of wheat. I know it's an individual thing and you would probably say I have to figure it out on my own with experimenting but I'm surprised at such a difference in schools of thought on this. Could the difference be attributed to IBS-D vs. IBS-C?

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Differing Approaches to Wheat new
      #350459 - 09/30/09 11:56 AM
Kenny

Reged: 01/03/05
Loc: Valley Village, CA

I have a wheat intolerance and can only have a little bit. This is a separate issue than my IBS. I suspect I may have gluten intolerance, rather than Celiac disease for which my biopsy was negative.

--------------------

IBS-A: Gas, Bloating, Occasional Reflux, Panic Attacks

When the bathroom is rockin' don't bother knockin'!

#350494 - 10/01/09 09:47 AM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

I had a blood test done that showed a slight wheat allergy but when I started eating wheat free it really didn't make a difference in my symptoms. I guess everyone is different and it just depends on how severe your allergy is.

#350496 - 10/01/09 10:24 AM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

mrae: how long did you eat wheat-free? My doctor says you have to go at least 6 months without a food you have an allergy to, to see total symptom relief.

#350514 - 10/01/09 04:51 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

My doctor had me do it for about a month. So I was pretty much eating wheat/gluten free and didn't see a difference in any way.

#350517 - 10/01/09 09:28 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Ally, would you mind sharing the website? I'm always eager to read about different approaches to wheat.

I personally am becoming more and more convinced that wheat is really not that good for us, even for healthy people. I happened to find a very good gastroenterologist who's very knowledgeable about celiac disease as well as non-celiac gluten sensitivity. She said that based on my symptoms and positive dietary response in the past, I should really try a gluten-free diet, and to go ahead and start up on it even before my biopsy results are in. She said that wheat is very hard to process for out guts, and it lacks any significant nutritional value compared to fruits&veggies and even other grains (buckwheat, quinoa), other than calories. I have to say that she just confirmed what I was thinking about for a while, and it's good to hear this from a professional.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Zara- ditto -nt new
      #350519 - 10/02/09 06:56 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2632 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2525

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review