All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
FOOD COMBINING
      #350371 - 09/28/09 08:52 AM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

I thought I posted this already but can't find it so I apologize if I'm repeating.
Just wondering if anyone has experimented with the Food Combining diet http://www.choosingraw.com/

Also, if anyone has thoughts on Flax?

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: FOOD COMBINING new
      #350373 - 09/28/09 09:14 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

I have tried the food combining and find that for some foods it does help. Potatoes for example give me alot of gas and if I eat them with meat, it's really bad, so I try to eat them only with veggies.

People rave about flax but I couldn't tolerate it....sent me right to the bathroom...maybe depends on whether you are IBS-c or D...I am IBS-D.

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

#350389 - 09/28/09 04:41 PM
Kenny

Reged: 01/03/05
Loc: Valley Village, CA

Quote:

I have tried the food combining and find that for some foods it does help. Potatoes for example give me alot of gas and if I eat them with meat, it's really bad, so I try to eat them only with veggies.

Isn't is possible then that it's really the meat giving you the gas?

--------------------

IBS-A: Gas, Bloating, Occasional Reflux, Panic Attacks

When the bathroom is rockin' don't bother knockin'!

#350402 - 09/28/09 10:05 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

I've never heard about this strategy of eating, so thank you so much for sharing this link.

I was thinking over this weekend when I had horrible gas and bloating in the late afternoon and evening on both days. At lunch on both days I had rice or bread, lean poultry, and a peeled apple. From reading this article, it makes sense why I experienced those symptoms since I ate the apple with my meat and carbs. There are many afternoons I eat fruit as a mid-afternoon snack and am often crippled with gas by dinner time.

I want to learn more about food combining, and I definitely don't think it will hurt to try it out. I am concerned about not being able to balance protein and carbs in my meals, especially because I am prone to low blood sugar. And I wonder how my soluble fiber supplement fits into this, since I always take it before eating. But one thing I will certainly avoid is fruit with or immediately following a meal.

#350411 - 09/29/09 07:40 AM
PMartin

It's my pleasure to help (if I can) as after all, we're all in the same boat and here to learn how to cope with our shared issues.

--------------------

looks very helpful..although new
      #350429 - 09/29/09 02:19 PM

Unregistered

it looks great..but I don't think I can give up lots of ibs safe recipes so I can do the food combining..I like to make strawberry bread,from what I understand I can't mix fruit with bread because bread is starch? What about rice and chicken is that ok? I don't want to eat fruit by itself which is recomended..I mix it with SF..it said the biggest thing was not to eat flesh with starch..is flesh meat it mentiones flesh as fish,I think.

Re: looks very helpful..although new
      #350436 - 09/29/09 04:22 PM
PMartin

I completely agree...there seems to be some incompatibility with trying to stick to and IBS diet. I still haven't gotten a reply to my email with these inquiries.

--------------------

#350437 - 09/29/09 04:45 PM

Unregistered

looks like alot of incomatibility,it's hard enough giving up lots of things then trying to get enough sf and If and having a healthy diet with ibs. Maybe some of the time combininb can be done or when people are feeling more touchy? I think If I only did the fodo combining thing It would be too hard becaue I've already given up the no no's and who wants a really plain bland diet I think I'd go crazy. what email,did u send one to heather?

#350439 - 09/29/09 05:05 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Hey I even went so far as to buy the book.
Couldn't get past the "eat fruits and veggies first" part.

Too dangerous.

Concept makes sense but NOTHING really makes sense with IBS as far as I am concerned and what will work for those with "normal" digestive systems....won't with IBS's
You can always try it though.

IMHO
Chris

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#350440 - 09/29/09 05:18 PM

Unregistered

what's the name of the book? I don't remember eat fruits and veggies first..I was looking at the link frygirl gave..it said vegies are neutral and u can eat them with anything.

#350453 - 09/30/09 08:57 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You may find this article on food combining of interest. It give the history of how the idea began in the early 1900 and how it has subsequently has been dismissed with better understanding on how food is actually digested in the stomach.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: FOOD COMBINING/book questions new
      #350454 - 09/30/09 10:12 AM

Unregistered

ok maybe I'll stop thinking about that..but yesterday there were some books on amazon about food combining that had really good rating and a couple other's that weren't about food combining that I thought may be good reads and that I may find some tips or tricks I may find helpful or just find things interesting..would someone take a look and tell me what you think?

the food combining ones

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Combining-Digestion-Techniques-Increase/dp/1878736779/ref=pd_sim_b_84

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Food-Combining-Easy/dp/0749925868/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Digestion/acid alkaline/misc.

http://www.amazon.com/Detox-Book-Detoxify-Improve-Disease/dp/0941599329/ref=pd_sim_b_94
(I was thinking with all the crap I've been eating there may be some new things I learn and could incorporate safley with eating for ibs that could help and After watching Supersize Me and how that guy's blood tests showed the mcdonald's food was making him sick and his health deteriorated,and then his vegan girlfriend had him on a vegan detox like diet,tests showed it took him eight weeks for his body to get back to normal after the mcdonald's diet..well if you haven't seen Supersize me I recomend it,it's such a great movie,I got it off ebay for less than $7 brand new including shipping,if u want me to send u the auction link)

http://www.amazon.com/Cleanse-Purify-Thyself-Book-1/dp/0966497333/ref=pd_sim_b_6

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Jensens-Guide-Diet-Detoxification/dp/0658002759/ref=pd_sim_b_7
bowel care,thought it sounded interesting

http://www.amazon.com/Jensens-Guide-Better-Bowel-Care/dp/B002M3SPGY/ref=pd_sim_hpc_16

acid alkaline,maybe something would help heartburn or just overall feeling good.
http://www.amazon.com/Acid-Alkaline-Food-Guide-Reference-Effect/dp/0757002803/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254330424&sr=1-1

looks interesting http://www.amazon.com/Fats-That-Heal-Kill-Cholesterol/dp/0920470386/ref=pd_sim_b_54

digestive wellness http://www.amazon.com/Digestive-Wellness-Strengthen-Digestion-Completely/dp/0071441964/ref=pd_sim_b_88

This is the book I have new
      #350487 - 10/01/09 05:59 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I bought Great Taste No pain
Sherry Brescia

Now I read through it and it sounds logical BUT I have IBS and I KNOW I can not eat fruit on an empty stomach.
NO way. No how.

SOOOOOOOO.....

Yes food combining does work for some people for some things.
I know of a kid at my sons school who has epilepsy and if he followed a special diet he could help eliminate his seizures.
It worked too.

Also ADHD can also be helped by diet.I read that sometimes,combined with other things,strong black coffee in the morning somehow counteracts the adhd and can keep a person,or kid, calmer.
I don't know how its possible,I am not a scientist.

So in theory yes I think food combining can work for some people but for me I am not taking that chance.

It does have some interesting recipes in it though.

HTH
Chris

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#350490 - 10/01/09 06:32 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I tried that years ago. There was a book I read by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond. I can't remember the name of the book. I do remember that they said to eat fruit only until noon. That didn't work for me. I had the shakes. It was too much sugar and nothing substantial in my stomach. I only lasted a couple days, so I guess I didn't give it a fair chance to work. It didn't affect my IBS one way or the other. Some may benefit from it, who knows, everyone is different.

#350491 - 10/01/09 09:26 AM
PMartin

I sent an email to Gena Hamshaw, the administrator of the Choosing Raw Food site. It took her a couple days but she did reply only to say that she can't really help me unless I'm interested in her coaching services. Ha!...I guess we all have to make a buck somehow. She reiterated the (free) info from the article about Food Combining and added that she doesn't personally believe that raw insoluble fiber is negative for IBS sufferers.

The way I see it, if you follow Heather's diet for IBS, there's very little to worry about anyway. You're already eating limited (or perhaps no) animal protein, including dairy so there's a low maintenance food category. Veggies are neutral, so our only concern with them is still policing what's soluble vs. insoluble and making sure that we, as IBS sufferers combine them with a soluble fiber food. This leaves fruit which seems to be causing the most confusion. A lot of us are saying there's no way we can eat them first, on an empty stomach, and or without combining a soluble fiber. My personal thoughts and one of the questions I posed in my email, was does it matter if you have IBS-D or IBS-C as I think it does. As someone with IBS-D, I'm looking to stabilize and slow down the digestive process and I know I achieve that better with eating something soluble like oatmeal to start my day and getting my fruit in later. Whereas someone with IBS-C may benefit more from this strategy of eating.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 694 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8969

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review