All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What would you do?
      #350111 - 09/19/09 11:49 PM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

I have an opportunity to change mine and my families life for the better. The only thing holding me back is my IBS-D. It's been an almost two year long process but I've been accepted to attend the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) training academy. This alone doesn't guarantee me a job as it might be determined that I can't shoot a gun or drive a police vehicle etc. but I'm completely surprised to have gotten to this point. I know the obvious question is going to be why did I apply in the first place but for arguments sake, as my short answer is that I'm not willing to let IBS get in my way or stop me from accomplishing anything, let's leave that alone, and say I applied because I'm looking for a new challenge not only for myself, but to improve the life of my family. This will involve me quitting my current job that supports my family, my wife and (3) kids moving in with her parents while I'm away because we've sold (or are trying to sell) our house, living off $500.00 a week while in training and having to completely relocate if I make it. With all that said though, I know I'm not fooling any of you and the real question is what is the likelihood of me making it through the 3 month long training and being a police officer?

I have the full support of my wife to pursue this, in fact she is more for me doing this than I am and I know she knows what I deal with (as for the IBS) but it's hard to find the confidence to do this. Part of her mindset I'm sure is that we really have nothing to lose but I'm having a hard time getting my head around willingly walking into a potentially/likely disastrous situation.

Any thoughts are welcomed...thanks.

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What would you do? new
      #350116 - 09/20/09 07:32 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Kudos to you for putting yourself out there and not letting the IBS hold you back. If you never try, you will never know, right? What is the worst that can happen? You may not make it, whether due to IBS or otherwise, however you will have been very brave in going for it.

When you are at the end of your life, you will always wonder if you could have made it, if you had followed through.

Who knows, you may be the one who writes the book about how I made it through a difficult situation with IBS, and succeeded, and help so many others. You may be the one to give others hope, that they don't have to stay housebound.

Bless you and your family, and if I were you, I would find a way to finish this.

#350117 - 09/20/09 08:05 AM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Congratulations! You are to be commended for making it this far. It is indeed scary to uproot your family, and second guess yourself, wondering if you are doing the right thing. From experience I can tell you that sometimes you need to step out in faith, go with what brings you peace. My husband and I, with our 2 kids, have moved to a different country, and 3 different states in the past 19 years of our marriage. Each time we wondered if we were doing the right thing, but have never looked back since. Life is about grabbing the opportunities that come your way. We are actually right now looking into the possibilty of moving to a different state again; we both have full time jobs, and our children are in 8th and 11th grade. Not an easy decision, but we know that it is another step toward a better life, down the road.

As for IBS-D, I am also, but refuse to allow it to control my life. I am an elementary school teacher, so I understand the implications of needing access to a bathroom right away, etc. I also know that certain foods are my trigger, so I do what I can to eliminate those triggers during the school week.

I say "GO FOR IT!" If it is not for you, at least you will have the assurance that you gave it your best shot, and won't be regretful someday, wondering what might have been. Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

Re: What would you do-HYPNOSIS? new
      #350120 - 09/20/09 09:19 AM
PMartin

thanks KIM123 and Gerikat for some very thoughtful and inspiring responses. I am also looking into trying Hypnosis which I wouldn't hesitate about if it wasn't for the cost. I'll do some reading/research in the hypnosis forum but was wondering if anyone has thoughts about it in the meantime?

--------------------

#350121 - 09/20/09 09:35 AM
Gerikat

I went through the tapes one time, and found that they helped with the anxiety of symptoms, which of course, helped the symptoms. I would highly recommend them. Some folks go through them 2 or 3 times. If nothing else, it will relax and calm you, which we can all use. If you go to the Hypnosis board and post something, Marilyn will answer all your questions.

And by the way, I got the tapes at a time they were on sale, so if you watch, you may get a deal.

All the best to you!

#350122 - 09/20/09 10:09 AM
PMartin

I do plan on going through the board and trying to decipher how to best implement hypnosis but I was excited to find a doctor in my area who specializes in hypnosis for IBS. That was until I learned it would cost me $130 a session and she recommends a minimum of 6 sessions. I just don't have that kind of money to take a chance on something that may or may not work.
So it looks like I'll have to do it on my own with some reading and the tapes you mentioned.

--------------------

#350126 - 09/20/09 12:32 PM
Gerikat

Oh, sorry, I didn't understand. It probably would be better with individual sessions with a hypnotherapist, but if money is an issue (for me too), then the cd's may be your next best bet. They would be a little cheaper.

#350239 - 09/24/09 12:13 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I say GO FOR IT!! hold nothing back.
That being said.....IBSD is such a pain..I found that I am doing so much better by watching out for my triggers and I also went on a low dose take it as I need it anti anxiety pill.It actually helps me forget all about the IBS and that is half the battle.
I also did the hypno cds and it made a huge change almost within th efirst few weeks,I would try those first.

If you can't afford them email me directly. cgmcadams@hotmail.com

Chris aka Dragonfly

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#350336 - 09/26/09 09:41 PM
PMartin

Thanks for the encouragement and advice Chris. It's not that I wouldn't be willing to pay for the C.D.'s ($89.95 for them is much more affordable than paying a hypnotherapist $130 a session) it's more about me wondering if this stuff (hypnosis) actually works. But everyone seems to be saying it's helped them to some extent so what have I got to lose.

I will send you an email.

--------------------

#350463 - 09/30/09 01:12 PM
karatejoe

Reged: 09/07/09
Loc: Florida

I served 10 years on a major city police dept. I suffered a lot of pain. when I was called, even tho I wasnt nervous or scared the adrenalin rush would flip my stomach instantly. It was a pain to take off all my equipment to use the bathroom 3 - 4 times in a shift.When doing special details like blocking streets for parades etc etc football games. was pure mental torture knowing I could not leave my corner. If you think the academy will not stress your IBS to max praportions you are wrong. Academy instructors could care less if you have IBS. You wont be able to fall out of line or leave class to go to the restroom. However having said all that. I starved during the academy and lived on Immodium. I did move to rank of SGT. and won officer of the year in 2001. It can be done. but seriously, plan on a career with a lot of stamach pain. I am no longer a police officer now but during that time it sure aggravated my syptoms.

#350518 - 10/01/09 09:36 PM
PMartin

Thanks for your reply Karate Joe. While I appreciate the encouragement from others who have responded, some tell it like it is advice from someone who's been there is what I need. I respect that you wish not to receive PM's but could I ask that maybe you send me one as I have so many more questions. Thanks.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 268 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3913

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review