All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Worst New Years Ever
      #34943 - 01/02/04 05:42 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hi Guys, I know I'm new to the forum and I'm sorry to start off whining but I have had a terrible New Years... we woke up New Years Day and our kitty was vomiting blood... we spent all day at the emergency vet, came home for a little bit, and he got sick again and had to go back in for the night. Then he spent all day at the normal vet today, and had surgery. They found out he had eaten a foot long piece of curling ribbon. If they hadn't operated he would have died. He's back at the emergency vet for the night, and they think he's going to get better but he has a huge incision. Unfortunately this has eaten up all of our savings. This is on top of having a gastric emptying test New Years Eve (for me) and an upper GI endoscopy scheduled for 6:00 am on my birthday! Sigh. Anyway, if you have cats I just wanted to warn you never to put tinsel on your trees or use ribbon on your packages!!! I hope everybody elses was better!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Worst New Years Ever new
      #34945 - 01/02/04 05:58 PM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

It's okay to whine we do a lot of it on this website! It's a good chance to vent about our stomachs, our jobs, our lives - you name it. It's always nice to get such positive feedback from everyone when you do have something on your mind. Welcome to the boards, I just signed up here about 2 months ago and have learned soooooooo much from everyone. Plus just knowing there are other people out there with the same problems - it's nice to be able to relate.

Hope your cat is doing better. I have a dog and he's like my kid and you have to take care of them when they're sick unfortunately it's really really expensive! Take care and hope you have a good Birthday in spite of the test you scheduled.

Debby

#34951 - 01/02/04 08:01 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Hi CHINA; as a catlover myself, Iam so sorry to hear what your cat went through. It must have been reaaly hard to deal with and on top of that your own health problems. Hope rest of your year goes better.

#34957 - 01/02/04 09:53 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

hey! First off, I love your picture! You are so pretty!! Second, I'm sorry about you kitty and your bad New Year's. I hope it gets better and that your endoscopy goes well! Happy 2004! lol

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

#34962 - 01/03/04 05:06 AM
chinagrl

Thanks! That's so nice of you.

#34968 - 01/03/04 07:01 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I have 3 cats and a dog -- so I can relate -- I hope your cat is doing better (and you too )

#34977 - 01/03/04 09:59 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Our cat ate a thick ribbon when we were on vacation 5 years ago. He was only a year old so we had the surgery done. It is amazing how a little ribbon can cause such problems and the surgery cost so much money. We make sure we don't have any ribbon around for Christmas and the girls are not allowed to bring in Easter grass or toys with string. He is so bad he eats the artificial needles on our tree. He throws up every day. I can't wait to take down this tree today.

We call our cat the million dollar cat because a few months later he had to have another surgery for a block bladder. So for another warning don't give your cat food with high magnesium in it. I guess some cats are more sensitive then others.

When is your birthday?

Cat update new
      #34978 - 01/03/04 10:37 AM
chinagrl

Hi guys, thanks for the support! Riley is doing a lot better, we get to bring him home from the Vet today, although the drugs still make him loopy. He has a huge incisicion though! I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool if all of our intestinal troubles were solved by a ribbon that they could just remove? No more IBS for me!

(Also, my birthday is Jan 13 for Torbetta, who asked... it was the ONLY day my gastroenterologist had available before school starts back up, and as a grad student I'm not allowed to miss classes [and as a TA, I'm definitely not]). Ah well.

Re: Cat update new
      #34993 - 01/03/04 01:53 PM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

That's no fun. Who wants to be in the hospital on their birthday?? Sheesh. I'm glad your kitty is better!

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

#35050 - 01/04/04 05:43 AM
sugar

Reged: 02/08/03
Loc: Calistoga, CA

I'm glad your cat is better. I had no idea that
kind of thing could happen. I guess I will have
to be more careful.

Hopefully having New Years start off bad means that
it will only get better from here on out.

val

--------------------
A Safe Place

#35123 - 01/04/04 03:47 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Chinagrl, your poor kitty! I'm so glad to hear he's doing better. I know how upsetting it can be to have a sick kitty, being a cat-lover myself. My cat Pandora, who died last May, also loved eating ribbons and bows! We couldn't put any of them on our presents until right before we threw them in a bag to take to my aunt's house! Anyway, I hope your kitty continues getting better, and I hope your New Year gets less stressful than it started out!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#41766 - 01/29/04 09:17 AM
angelfire

Reged: 12/09/03

I know this is kind of an "older" post I'm replying to, but....your poor kitty, and poor you! Is the kitty ok now? I'm sorry that you didn't have a good New Year's = you're right, that IS a cruddy way to start the year.

I noticed in your post that you talked about the gastric emptying study. I am scheduled to have that done on 2/3. I'm not really nervous, but curious about what it entails, and thought I'd ask someone who has been there. If I'm being nosy I do apologize...

Thanks!

Re: Cat update new
      #41767 - 01/29/04 09:19 AM
angelfire

And I now realized I should have read the rest of the posts on your Riley updates...sorry, haven't had my coffee yet this a.m.

Gastric Emptying Exam new
      #41829 - 01/29/04 02:09 PM
chinagrl

Nah, you're not being nosy! It's hard to be nosy about IBS related stuff around here... everyone's pretty open!

The Gastric Emptying exam was fine. My biggest problem is that I HATE eggs, and to do the test I had to eat a big ol' hockey puck of eggs with radiation in them. So the worst part for me was choking down the nasty, nasty eggs. After that it is no big deal at all. I took a book and my iPod and chilled in the lobby in between photo sessions. Every 30 minutes you go into a room and they take an x-ray of your stomach. Then you go wait another 30 minutes. The test takes about three hours in all, I think.

If you like eggs, it's probably the easiest test you can take!

And thanks for the kitty thoughts. He's fine, purring away on my lap. We now call him, "World's Most Expensive Kitty" though.

Re: Gastric Emptying Exam new
      #41845 - 01/29/04 02:40 PM
angelfire

Glad to meet another cat lover - and glad that little guy is ok.

Thank you for the info on the gastric emptying exam, it doesn't sound too scary, except for the radioactive eggs, lol. Thanks again.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 347 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3551

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review