All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Biopsy of the colon
      #348070 - 07/14/09 03:00 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

My doctor said if the next medication doesn't help he wants to do a biopsy of my colon. The lining of the colon. Does anyone know if this procedure is terrible or if its just like a colonoscopy as far as preaping for it. I just had a partial hysterectomy and really don't want to have something major done right now. I am a little procedure shy at the moment. So any feedback on this would help. What exactly to they do a biopsy for?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Biopsy of the colon new
      #348074 - 07/14/09 05:19 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

It sounds like it would be similar to a colonoscopy. I think they might check for microscopic colitis like this, but not sure.

#348087 - 07/15/09 08:22 AM
Schnauzer1

Reged: 01/06/09

Biopsy of the colon is done during colonoscopy. This is NOT an uncomfortable procedure. A biopsy instrument is passed through the scope. For the patient, there is some small sensation felt with each biopsy, but there is no real discomfort.

Colon biopsy is usually performed to diagnose a type of colitis called Microscopic Colitis. MC comes in 2 types, Lymphocytic and Collagenous. Since this kind of colitis is affecting the substructure of the colon it is not seen by viewing the lining of the colon. Multiple biopsy must be done, and the specimens examined under the microscope for a confirming diagnosis of MC.

Don't be overly concerned, --- as usual the worst part of the procedure is the prep for Colonoscopy.

#348088 - 07/15/09 09:05 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Aren't biopsies usually done to detect cancer?

A breast biopsy is done to detect breast cancer.

Biopsy is a hard word for me to type

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#348090 - 07/15/09 09:07 AM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

Well I have had a colonoscopy before it would have been nice for them to have done it then. I just hate preaping for it.

#348092 - 07/15/09 10:10 AM
Schnauzer1

Reged: 01/06/09

Yes, it certainly would have been nice if you didn't have to re-do all that has to do with the colonoscopy. We can all empathize with that feeling.

However, as a routine, biopsy is not done with colonoscopy --- for good reasons. Biopsy is only done when further diagnosis is required. But I fully understand your frustration -- been there.

Incidentally, when looking for MC there seems to be a need to include specimens from the right side of the colon, hence -- a full colonoscopy is necessary.

Biopsy definition: simply means removal of tissue for further examination for diagnostic purposes. This DOES NOT mean cancer exclusively, as many conditions are also diagnosed with biopsy.

Most likely they are looking for MC. Typical profile of MC is female over the age of 50. But MC does occur in males, and sometimes even in children.

#348095 - 07/15/09 11:18 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Oops sorry! I hope I didn't scare anyone! I just have only heard of a biopsy being for cancer.

So sorry!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#348116 - 07/15/09 06:19 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Well, now doesn't that just BITE! I just went through a colonoscopy last year. I wish they could have checked for this. It's darned dumb that it isn't routine, since you are trying to rule out so many things. That pretty much sucks to me.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 811 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3394

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review