All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What are Stupid comments/advice people say about your diet/ibs?
      #347177 - 06/14/09 01:05 PM

Unregistered

Today I said I was cold..I've always been a person to get cold easily,and sensitive to that stuff. WEll my dad said my stuff wasn't moving through me so my ibs was rotting my insides. I get told that has sugar don't eat it,it willupset you.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What are Stupid comments/advice people say about your diet/ibs? new
      #347298 - 06/19/09 09:08 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

People are just ill-informed when it comes to IBS. Some don't know their elbows from... well you know the other end of the body!

I get this all the time:

"I bet you can't eat it." OR

"Can you eat this chicken FRIED STEAK" (like a double oh no)

"I'll fix you a salad." Poo on that

"When's the baby due" I'm NOT PREGNANT, CRAZY!!

My stepmother-in-law's favorite is: "I made lasagna for supper; oh, but I made you a piece of plain baked chicken, and didn't put ANY marinade on it."

It's hard for me to digest chicken. About the only meat (protein) I can eat is fish. We are going to eat over there tonight for his dad's father's day meal, and of course, she is fixing lasagna. The most fatty thing she could think of to cook, not to mention the four different cheeses and ground beef in it, too. She understand's that I can't eat certain things, especially cheeses, and I don't expect her to change everything for me. However, as many times as I've told her I CANT DO SALAD ALONE!!!! She still insists on me eating a salad with no rice or anything. Ugghh. I always eat to much over there cause she will fix like 10 different things and keep putting them in my face. Then the next day, I'm miserable.

I cooked salmon and rice last night, I might just take a plate of that with me. I just hate being the center of attention when it comes to food. "Why aren't you eating what we are eating; why are you eating that?"

I would just rather not go anywhere to eat besides my own kitchen where I know what I can eat and be comfortable fixing my own food.

When I have friends over, I cook IBS friendly foods, and they can't tell the difference.

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#347340 - 06/21/09 07:36 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I've been told a lot of stupid things, but the absolute worst was "You just need to change the way you think!" Yes, if it were ONLY THAT easy!!

#347358 - 06/21/09 06:14 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

My favorite:

"It's all in your head!" No, it's in my intestines... Duh!

"Just try a little bit." No, the consequences are worse than savoring the flavour.

"You ate ____ as a kid just fine, why not now?" Well, no, really, I had trouble eating a lot of stuff as a kid, but we didn't know why or about ibs when I was 8!

"You poor thing!! You must always be starving!" Nope, I'm healthy, I eat very well on safe foods, and I don't miss milk, ice cream, steak, pork, deep fried junk etc. How else do I keep this nice figure I've got now that I don't eat all the crap!!

"I'd die if I had to eat like you do!" Well, I might die if I ate what you do!!

That's a few!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#347379 - 06/22/09 06:48 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

I absolutely love the last one! That is so right!

My mom asks what I can eat for lunch when they cook. I tell her rice and fish. She gets upset.

"Well, can you eat pork".... "NO"

"What about ribs?"..... DOUBLE NO!

"How about a slab of butter on your corn?"... Uh hello!

"You can eat some salad right?".... No, again, and again, and again!

She's absolutely crazy! I can eat alot more than fish and rice, but that's all she will cook that I can eat. Oh, but when I say cook rice, she wants to make rice consumme that has a stick of butter in it! Can't do it! On salads, she puts oil and vinegar. More oil than vinegar, but still can't do salad very well either!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#347382 - 06/22/09 06:58 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Before I began to have bowel issues, I did not understand others with it, either. Now, I do. I think it is the same with family and friends.

#347429 - 06/23/09 05:01 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

My older sister also has IBS, diagnosed about 20 years ago. She manages it differently. She gets mad at people when they offer her food she can't eat. The thing is, she isn't very good about letting you know ahead of time what she can't eat.

Anyway, when I was still getting my IBS under control, she once told me I had it easier because I discovered this website. Well, I still had a lot of trial and error and time feeling miserable.

And if this website makes it as easy as she thought, I'd like to know why she doesn't try following some of the IBS diet guidelines.

Don't get me wrong, the IBS diet has helped me tremendously, but someone else with IBS telling you have it easy while they refuse to at least try it can be maddening.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3123 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3410

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review