All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Food Allergy Testing
      #346379 - 05/26/09 07:51 AM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

Just wondering if anyone has bothered with going for a food allergy test. Of course it costs $ so I never have (bothered) but am thinking about it as it would be a relief to find out that a simple allergy has been the cause.

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Food Allergy Testing BUMP new
      #353724 - 01/01/10 08:20 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

I am wondering the same thing. I have an appt in a few weeks with my GI doc and was going to discuss possibly testing for food allergies...
anyone do that??

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: Food Allergy Testing BUMP new
      #353731 - 01/01/10 10:42 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Hi, Ally -
Good to see you again!
I've had traditional allergy testings, which told me very little about food allergies, other than a soy reaction.
I've had the RAST blood test a couple of times and other than slight deviations, has come back pretty much the same...wheat, shellfish, dairy, corn, eggs - some moderate, some more severe.
I'm scheduled to have it again next week. I think it just shows your body's IgE or antibodies regarding certain foods.
Haven't found one yet that's very definitive.
Have you heard of Dr. Cocoa's Test? It's old, but basically, if you eat something and your pulse becomes more rapid w/i 15 min. you have an allergy or intollerance to that food. I have found it to be true for me, but, on the flip side - same thing happens if I overeat.
Happy New Year and here's to believing for a miraculous 2010 for all of us!
Blessings - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Re: Food Allergy Testing new
      #353735 - 01/02/10 07:37 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Generally speaking food allergies tests are not particularly useful for managing IBS. IBS is not caused by problems with food. Food may act as a trigger but it is not the cause. The IBS research suggests that food elimination is a better approach to IBS dietary management than food allergy tests. IBS food triggers are not related to food allergies. For example, caffeine, fat/oil, artificial sweeteners and fructose are IBS triggers that are unrelated to food allergy reactions.

This sort of question is best asked on the diet board. The living room is dedicated to non-IBS discussions

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Food Allergy Testing BUMP/GaGa new
      #353809 - 01/02/10 05:24 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

GaGa, so do you stay away from the wheat,shellfish,dairy and stuff you found you had a allergic issue with. My blood test came back positive for wheat allergy but I don't have the Celiac disease. I just got my biopsy results in. Just wondering if I should still avoid wheat or not.

Re: Food Allergy Testing BUMP/GaGa new
      #353810 - 01/02/10 05:42 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I wish I could say "yes" all the time, but not entirely...
My reaction was "moderate", and I've found that I have more trouble with "whole wheat" products, so I do occasionally have regular or sourdough bread or a mini bagel - especially during an IBS flare.

As soon as I get off antibiotics, I'm going to try again to eliminate it.

My dr. also explained that if you are allergic - say to wheat and eggs - and it's moderate, you might eat one item occasionally, but when you combine the 2, that's when the problem really begins.

And, I've found small quantities of these foods don't bother me each time, it's when I overeat.

Things I am really allergic to like peanuts and nitrates - I try to avoid like the plague. Think that's because before I knew about the peanuts, I was eating a PB sandwich and my lips and tongue started swelling - scared me!
It's ironic, my children own a Chick-Fil-A and I can't eat any of their foods because they are cooked in peanut oil!

Good luck on your journey.... Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2264 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3177

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review