All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Bacteria Overgrowth?
      #346094 - 05/16/09 11:04 AM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

I have been thinking about all the things that had happened up to the time when my diarrhea had started. One thing that came to mind was when I was giving birth to my son the nurse had put some medication in my iv and said this was for the extra bacteria that I carry and that is harmful to the baby so they had to give me the medication so he wouldn't get it. I was in pain so I didn't even think to question it. This was the first time I had even heard I had more bacteria than most and that it was harmful to my son. Thinking back the last few paps I had before I got pregnant showed I had a bacterial infection. I guess the cream they gave me never helped as I still had it when I gave birth. So I had asked my Gi doc if I could maybe have a bacteria overgrowth that was causing this but he said if it was bacteria I would be extremely sick not just have diarrhea and not feel good. So my question is does anyone know why I might have more bacteria than the normal person doesn but my gi doc don't think its bacteria related. I do have to say my symptoms started 2 months after I gave birth so I keep thinking this is somehow related. Anyone have any suggestions.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bacteria Overgrowth? new
      #346100 - 05/16/09 01:56 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Maybe you had beta strep. They usually test expectant mothers for it, and will give them antibiotics before delivery so the baby won't be harmed. (10-30% of pregnant women carry it.) If so, your symptoms you have now could be related to the antibiotics they gave you. They killed the bad, as well as the good bacteria, and now your bowel flora is unbalanced, allowing yeast to proliferate. I would begin probiotics (if nursing ask your doctor)and try to limit sugar, grains and other high carbs, as they will feed the yeast overgrowth you may have. A great natural antifungal is olive leaf extract or caprylic acid, if your doctor won't prescribe a prescritpion antifungal. Again, consult your doctor. I know that fluctuating hormones can also cause D, so it could be a bit of both.

Re: Bacteria Overgrowth? Kim123 new
      #346104 - 05/16/09 03:05 PM
mrae

That all makes sense. I am assuming when I go to the naturopathic doctor she will be able to answer the questions regarding the antifungal issue. Its been 2.5yrs but that could have been the start of it all since it happened right after I gave birth and now its just getting worse. Thanks so much for your help.

Re: Bacteria Overgrowth?Kim123 new
      #346105 - 05/16/09 04:33 PM
mrae

I also was taking Align for the last month but didn't see any improvement. I heard that the yogurt with the probiotics is good if you get alot of yeast infections and stuff. Do you know if this is true. What probiotic do you recommend if any?

#346107 - 05/16/09 05:26 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Geez, probiotics are an individual thing, as I know some can take what others have problems with. I use Nature's Way Primadophilus Reuteri and have had much success with it. It took me a few go-arounds with other products before I found this one that helped me. It has 5 billion CFU and is refrigerated, which is important.

Just eating yogurt will not give you the results you are looking for. Also, be careful of the artificial sweeteners in yogur, usually in lo-fat products. They may cause you unwanted side effects.

I think that "if" one has yeast issues, yogurt or probiotics alone will not give you the desired results. A change in diet would be paramount, as well.

#346116 - 05/17/09 06:37 AM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

I agree. I am on a diet for Candida. Along with the probiotic, I am on this special diet. It is alot like the eating for IBS diet except it goes a step further by eliminating sugars of all kind, simple carbs that convert to sugar, and all yeast breads. My doctor said it will take anywhere from 6 weeks to a year to rid myself of the candida! The sugars feed the yeast!

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1398 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2025

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review