All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Bloated-PeppCapsulesNot Helping!!!
      #343591 - 03/24/09 10:13 AM
AlbanyGirl

Reged: 03/19/09
Loc: Albany, NY

I took a peppermint capsule this morning and i'm still bloated and in pain. I also have been taking heathers 1/2 teaspoon fiber once daily and i'm really bloated. Has anyone felt bloated from the fiber ALOT? It's a small dose so i don't understand.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bloated-PeppCapsulesNot Helping!!! new
      #343593 - 03/24/09 11:02 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

I have never been bloated from the fiber. And that is not a very big dose at all! I take 3tbspns per day! Do you think it could be something else you have eaten? stress? Give me a list of what you have eaten in the past couple of days. It's not always an immediate onset, it sometimes takes a few days to get an attack. (i.e. what I ate Friday is affecting me Sunday or Monday)

I usually don't get relief until I go to bed at night or do a lot of yoga.

Peppermint capsules usually do not help me once I have an attack in place. They are more of a preventative in my opinion. (I don't get much help from them myself, but everyone is different)

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#343605 - 03/24/09 01:58 PM
AlbanyGirl

Wow, i can't believe you've not gotten bloated from the fiber. Not even in the beginning? I haven't eaten much of anything. But whatever i do eat, it gives me more pain. I'm afraid now that it could be something else. But i've done all the tests and they keep telling me ibs. I've had it for 20 years + fibro.

#343606 - 03/24/09 02:04 PM
erindAdministrator

Reged: 03/19/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there,

The peppermint capsules help to prevent pain, spasms, cramping, and gas and bloating from ocurring. The teas help immediately. So if you want immediate relief I would go with the teas. Gas and bloating can be caused by something you ate or by stress. Make sure you are following Heather's Dietary information. You can click on this link for the IBS diet cheat sheet. http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/cheatsheet.asp.

If you think the gas and bloating is coming from the fiber, even though you are taking a very very small dose, back off and take only 1/4 two times a day. I would increase your daily dose by 1/4 teaspoon every 5 days or so.

Also remember that it does take some time to stabalize and these remediees are not going to help you overnight. It's important to be consistent so you can stabalize ASAP.

I hope this helps!
Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist
Heather's Tummy Care / Heather & Company for IBS, LLC
IBS Education, Support, & Products
Toll Free: 866 640 4942 Direct: 206 264 8069 Fx: 206 264 8072
80 S. Washington St. #304, Seattle, WA 98104 USA

Patient Support Site: HelpForIBS.com
Wholesale Accounts: HeathersTummyCare.com
Co-Packing Services

Join Heather's IBS Newsletter Here
Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email

#343646 - 03/25/09 11:11 AM
Kappy

No bloating from the fiber. I have always had a healthy fiber-filled diet of fruits and veggies and whole grains. So switching to the Acacia fiber was not a very big deal for me. My usual fiber intake from acacia and food is about 45-50 grams of fiber/day. I know it sounds like a lot, but it works well for me. The 3 tbspns only have about 18 grams of fiber, and the rest of the day I eat fruits, veggies, lean protein, and soy products.

It sounds to me like you might need to eat some more than you are eating now. If I go 3-4 hours with out eating, my stomach swells and spasms and hurts like someone is stabbing me. I tend to eat every 2-3 hours and it helps to keep something in my belly. As soon as I get hunger pangs, I try to eat something.

Can you eat anything? What are you able to get down?

--------------------

#343658 - 03/25/09 12:12 PM
Agustin

Reged: 03/24/09

I feel your pain...when I received my peppermint pills and the fiber powder and started taking them, I thought I could eat and drink everthing...not so, Kemo Sabe....you have to monitor your diet...ice cream tends to give me gas and bloating (any kind of ice cream, diet, low fat, low sugar, no fat,...you name it)..liquor also adds to the misery....so you really have to take inventory of what you eat and go from there...it is a trial and error process...we are always learning..good luck...stick to the program for at least a month or more..if nothing works, you may not have IBS...

#343661 - 03/25/09 12:30 PM
AlbanyGirl

I've been drinking water, peppermint tea, camomile tea. I'm so bloated, i'm afraid to eat anything but i know i'm hungry underneath all the pain. I eat small amounts all day long. I had a sugary corn cereal with soy milk. Oatmeal-but i don't know if i'm supposed to eat quaker oatmeal(the flavored kind), a few bites of melon and rice noodles. The tea helps a little but i'm still so bloated. It's not getting better like it usually does. My stomach has always hurt no matter what i eat. I also have pelvic floor dysfunction so i'm thinking that has something to do with it-i don't know if i'm still constipated. Does that make u bloat? I go back to the p.t. tommorrow for that.

It seem like every time i try to do the fiber powder i feel worse and then i quit.

#343664 - 03/25/09 12:44 PM
Kappy

Hang in there with the fiber, give it some time to work. Check the ingredients on the sugary corn cereal, it could contain High fructose corn syrup which can irritate IBS.

Have you tried Almond or Rice milk instead of soy milk? Sometimes, the soy milk can give me an upset, I like to swap around what kind of milk subs I drink.

I wouldn't eat the flavored Quaker Oatmeal it has a lot of artificial flavors/sweeteners. This is why I switched to plain old fashioned, 10 min. cook time, quaker oats. I add brown sugar or regular sugar with fruit and a bunch of the tummy fiber, its really good like that.

The rice noodles sound fine, but the melon should really be put on hold until you have your symptoms at least undercontrol. NEVER eat melon on an empty stomach, always eat some SF with it.

Girl, I get bloated even when not constipated. I can tell most of the time when I'm still constipated by laying down, sucking belly in as far as possible and feeling abdomen (under ribs and left and right side of the front of abdomen) for any hard spots/lumpy spots. That is usually fecal matter in your intestines that is backed up. Your doctor can also do an x-ray that will show if you are still stopped up if you ask him too!

--------------------

#343759 - 03/27/09 10:04 AM
AlbanyGirl

Thank you for the tips, i appreciate it!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2982 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3609

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review