All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is it a toss up?
      #343281 - 03/15/09 12:04 PM
Kata

Reged: 01/11/09

Hey Everyone,

I have been researching old posts to help me make a decision.

I have been taking Xanax at night to help me sleep due to my anxiety. I also have been taking amitryptalin (elavil). I am going to make the move to get off of Xanax after discussions with my primary doctor and my psych Dr. Now, here is the question--my psych doctor has suggested that I try the once a week prozac pill for the anxiety. My primary doctor on the other hand has suggested Cymbalta. She seems to think that Prozac isn't effective long term.

My symptoms are IBS-A. Anyone with IBS-A who has tried either of these drugs in combo with Elavil have any suggestions or advice? I feel like I am just flipping a coin.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is it a toss up? new
      #347353 - 06/21/09 05:25 PM
CathyF

Reged: 05/21/08

My doctor prescribed Prozac and Elavil. I took Prozac in the morning, and Elavil at bedtime. Elavil got me so so so drowsy and I don't like it at all. Prozac makes me tired.
I want to try that doesn't make me so drowsy or tired. Any of you tried any other kind of depression meds?

Re: Is it a toss up? new
      #347389 - 06/22/09 09:20 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Hi there!

I took Elavil for a while and felt no difference. It actually made me very lazy, sluggish, and made me gain 10 lbs! I don't like it at all, and he told me to double it if it wasn't helping. Uh... NOOOOO! I"m not doing that; if I did, I wouldn't be able to get outta bed in the morning.

I took prozac for a while, too. My GP said to take it one week before my period up through my period to help with the emotions associated with hormone changing (I'm very emotional around "that time") It helped alot!!! But, I'm trying not to take all that stuff, cause I've seen people turn crazy and have to take more and more and get hooked.

So, I'm off of Elavil and Prozac. We are trying Librax which is more like a calming drug. Here is how WebMD explains the generic form called chlordiazepoxide-clidinium:

Chlordiazepoxide is used to treat anxiety and acute alcohol withdrawal. It is also used to relieve fear and anxiety before surgery. This medication belongs to a class of drugs called benzodiazepines which act on the brain and nerves (central nervous system) to produce a calming effect. It works by enhancing the effects of a certain natural chemical in the body (GABA).

It is working so well! I take one before meals and before bedtime, as needed! I take it most every meal just in case!

Hope that helps you gals!

HUGS!~

Kappy

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2173 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1634

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review