All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Today is my surgery!
      #341039 - 01/20/09 06:22 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Wigh me luck! I'm scared of the post-pain. BF doesn't want to deal so my mom's taking me. Siiiigh.

Time to jump in the car. WISH ME LUCK!!! Love to all,

~nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Today is my surgery! new
      #341040 - 01/20/09 06:35 AM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Good luck Nelly! I hope all goes well and that you don't have any more hassles from the finance people at the hospital

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#341041 - 01/20/09 06:40 AM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

Good luck Nelly!!

Just think... when you come out of it, there'll be a new president!

Post pain... I'm sure they'll give you some medication to help that.

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

#341043 - 01/20/09 08:25 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Good Luck!! Hopefully they hook you up with some good pain pills.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#341044 - 01/20/09 08:41 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Nelly,

I wish you lots of luck today. When you feel up to it, please let us know how you are doing.

love and hugs

--------------------
Janey

#341050 - 01/20/09 12:36 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I hate that I missed this...I'll have to get better filled in later as I'm not even sure what the surgery is for, but sending you big hugs and lots of positive thoughts...I hope it goes really well for you! I know docs and hospitals are getting a lot better about post-pain so fingers crossed you will do just fine!

#341061 - 01/20/09 02:06 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Wishing you all the best Nelly!!! Keep us up to date on your recovery!!!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#341063 - 01/20/09 06:31 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Hope by the time you read this, the surgery is over, with no problems and you are in la-la land because of the wonderful drugs!
Then, she lived happily ever-after!

((Hugs) Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#341078 - 01/21/09 07:42 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

TAKE PICTURES!!!

Kidding, good luck.Hope you feel better!

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#341127 - 01/22/09 03:48 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Stock up on vodka. Or rum. kidding!!!

I hope everything went well, and I can't wait to hear how you are doing!!!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

UPDATE: Nelly on the mend new
      #341327 - 01/28/09 12:35 PM
Nelly

Hello All! I'm back and recuperating!

Today is 8 days post-op. They removed 3 tumors total from my lower back. I am APPALLED by the size of these things!! The biggest one was 10 cm across. I wanted to take them home in a jar, but they were diced and sliced in the lab (no cancer, thankfully!), so the best I could do is name them and give them a backstory.

The doctor took pictures, so for my friends who are not so easily grossed out, I've included them at the bottom of the page:

What you're looking at is 3 lipomas (fatty tumors). The dark spots on the biggest two are where they had to cauterize the blood supply coming from my body. I'm surprised these things didn't have their own orbit! It's horrible to me that they grew their own blood supply.

These things could have been anything, but lucky for me, they were non-cancerous, painful-but-nonleathal, disgusting masses. Lucky for me.

So I'm doing OK, considering by back feels like it went through a veg-a-matic. They gave me some good pain stuff (dilaudid!) plus for the fibro I was already taking vicodin, so I was able to catch a couple of good buzzes.

As time goes on, I'm steadily getting less grossed out that they were growing in me for years, and more scared that they were allowed to grow in me for so long. By my count, I've been complaining of "rocks growing in my back" since I was at least ten. (!!!)

Thank you to everybody who's lent support. This has been a scary experience for me, but HOPEFULLY I won't have to go through it again in my lifetime.

~nelly~

P.S. I still hate doctors! new
      #341329 - 01/28/09 12:43 PM
Nelly

One more surgery update-- When they were intubating me, they broke my front tooth trying to install my airway. So it's back to the dentist for Nelly!

Hate. Doctors.

~nelly~

Nelly new
      #341333 - 01/28/09 01:33 PM
Janey

I am so glad to hear that you made it through the surgery. I can't believe how big those things were. No wonder your back hurt. Poor Baby!!!

Hopefully once you recover for the surgery you are going to feel wonderful.

I can't believe they broke your tooth and you have to go to the dentist now.

I hope you continue to feel better.

Hugs

--------------------
Janey

Re: P.S. I still hate doctors! new
      #341339 - 01/28/09 05:27 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I'm happy to hear you're on the mend!!! My goodness those things are gigantic!! Hope you're visit to the dentist goes smoothly!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Back and Teefth new
      #341342 - 01/28/09 05:36 PM
Nelly

Quote:

My goodness those things are gigantic!!

I couldn't believe it either. Those THINGS were in my back?? I'm still freaking out that they were there growing all this time... *shudder!*

I'm trying to avoid thinking about the dentist! I'm just avoiding mirrors at the moment so I don't remind myself how I look! Sigh!

~nelly~

Thank you Janey! new
      #341343 - 01/28/09 05:41 PM
Nelly

Thank you! I'm trying to think positive. Yep, after all that I get a trip to the dentist! At least my sense of humor is alive and well!

~nelly~

Re: Thank you Janey! new
      #341348 - 01/28/09 06:34 PM
Janey

Nelly,

You always have the best sense of humor. I love reading your posts because I know they are going to be creative and funny even if you are dealing with a topic that isn't funny.

Laughter is what gets us through some times.

--------------------
Janey

Holy ... cow! new
      #341355 - 01/28/09 07:23 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Those are unbelievably disgusting! So glad they are no longer your uninvited guests. Awful that your tooth broke - don't know if you're the litigious type but I'd bet you could get them to pay for your dental work.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Re: Back and Teefth new
      #341357 - 01/28/09 08:49 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Bless your heart!!! You have really been through it. I'm w/ Hawkeye, sounds to me - like they should have to pay for the tooth. BUT, the best news is the surgery is "behind" you - sorry for the pun.... It may be slow, but you're going to be soooooooooo much better!
Take Care.
{{Hugs}} Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Re: UPDATE: Nelly on the mend new
      #341361 - 01/29/09 03:34 AM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

The fact that you're home and recuperating is good to read. I hope it's a speedy (and complete) recovery.

(LMAO at Dorothy's "it's all behind you" remark).

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

I have to eat the cost :( new
      #341383 - 01/29/09 04:10 PM
Nelly

Yes!!! I think they should pay for them too!! I told my surgeon and he acted like it was my fault I'd broken my tooth on their precious instrument.

So I immediately called my lawyer. I'd been in contact from my lawyer from my car accident (which was 1 year ago today!) and he was really upset when I told him about destroying my tooth on top of everything else.

Then he apologized for what he was going to tell me... a few years ago, he'd had a client whose front teeth had been broken during surgery just like mine. He'd tried every way to sue the doctors, but unfortunetly, they are protected through the waiver they made him sign right before the surgery.

It seems that broken teeth during intubation is covered under the "acceptable risk" (!!!) the patient assumes when the tube is placed in the airway. I'd LOVE to sue the pants off of them, but it looks like I'm going to have to eat the cost (sorry ) on this one.

Actually, I have no idea how much a new tooth is going to set me back! I think it's like a tire... you can't just buy one new front tooth... it's the kind of thing that has to be done in pairs.

~nelly~

Re: UPDATE: Nelly on the mend new
      #341384 - 01/29/09 04:21 PM
Nelly

I'm working very hard at taking it very easy! Whenever anyone tries to make me do anything I'm just going to hold up the picture of the lipomas and point!!

I showed my mom the pictures and actually got mad at her to her face about discounting my back pain over the years! I think she's going to believe me more after this. Everyone will. I just hate it when my family makes me feel like a whiner when I complain about my back or IBS pain. It's currency to have something to physically show them. You can't argue with those things! They're gross!

Too bad you can't see IBS on an x-ray!

~nelly~

#341385 - 01/29/09 04:26 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Holy crap, Nelly!!! That's unbelievable!!! I'm SO glad this is all over now, and hopefully you'll be feeling good and doing backflips soon!

I still think you should write a book

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Re: I have to eat the cost :( new
      #341386 - 01/29/09 04:45 PM
Janey

I am sorry to hear that you have no options as far as getting the hospital or surgeon to pay for your broken tooth.

Capping one tooth can be done. I have had a cap on one of my front teeth for years.

I hope it isn't going to be too expensive.

--------------------
Janey

UPDATE #2 new
      #341455 - 01/31/09 11:58 AM
Nelly

I'm showing the picture of my yucky tumors to all of my friends and they unilaterally agree: "gross!" One of them I literally chased around the room holding the picture out-- "Look at it! Look at it!"

I should be doing less chasing and more resting, but I've got major cabin fever hanging around the apartment. Yesterday I overdid it. I went to the local store and picked up this steroid cream for a rash on my foot... then I realized I shouldn't be mixing surgery with steroids, so my foot is going to have to itch for a while.

OK, going to go lie down for a while and rest my back. Maybe watch some quality cable TV.

~nelly~

Re: UPDATE #2 new
      #341464 - 01/31/09 03:24 PM
Janey

I am so glad to hear that you are recovering so quickly. It is a good sign that you are chasing your friends around, ha ha!

Take care honey and get well. There are so many good shows on cable I don't know how you will decide what to watch. I would probably lay around and watch HGTV or the cooking channel. Sometimes it is fun to watch one of those horrible shows like Rock of Love with Brett Michaels. Trashy but it does make you laugh because they are so ridiculus. Once when I was sick I watch one whole season in one day of America's Next Top Model.

Take care of yourself and get better.

--------------------
Janey

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 653 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8167

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review