All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Training
      #340706 - 01/11/09 07:47 PM
Karen1415

Reged: 07/04/08

With the help of the IFE diet, three months ago I was improving, D attacks were minimized to once a month right before my cycle, then I tried lexapro and my attacks increased to twice a week. I think I am among the 5% that cannot tolerate it. My GI doc switched me to fluoxetine, and I also started taking slippery elm. There has been some improvement; however, mornings are still rough, I have had several close calls at work. I came across some older articles online about how patients with spinal cord injuries retrain their bowels to move when they want them to. I think I will try these techniques to train myself to go in the evenings after dinner, and then perhaps mornings at work will not be so rough. It seems I have let my gut determine the schedule and maybe I need to consciously set the schedule – I will let you know how it goes. The articles were not very recent; does anyone have more current information or experience with this?

Karen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Mornings new
      #340717 - 01/12/09 10:37 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Don't wear anything around your waist when you sleep. This will cut down on night attacks and morning attacks. Wear a nightshirt with NO pajama bottoms. Seriously, not even underwear.

I know it sounds weird, but this alone can cut down on 80% of your morning attacks. A simple loose elastic around my waist was giving me 6 bathroom trips in the morning, and now my mornings are way better.

I also stay in bed for 1/2 an hour after I wake up, just to let my tummy settle before I get up. It works! Seems like such a simple thing, but lifestyle changes, eliminating stressors and diet will drop kick your IBS to another hemisphere. Well, it'll help at least.

Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

~nelly~

Re: Mornings ~ Nelly new
      #340730 - 01/12/09 04:18 PM
Pennie

Reged: 11/24/08
Loc: South Carolina, US

Nelly - I know you were responding to someone elses post but I have to say Thank You!! I have been wondering why I don't have D on the weekends but have it horribly on the weekdays. I think you gave me my answer. On the weekends I turn the tv on and watch it while laying in bed and on the weekdays I jump up to get ready. I am def. going to try laying in bed in the morning ~ maybe it will help my D. I'll let you know.

--------------------
IBS~D

Edited by Pennie (01/12/09 04:19 PM)

Re: Mornings ~ Nelly new
      #340731 - 01/12/09 04:46 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

I don't lie in bed - but it sounds good! (I have a kid and a cat!) What I do is drink a cup of hot tea before eating breakfast. It helps me a lot with morning cramps and d.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Mornings new
      #340741 - 01/12/09 09:36 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

When I first get up it's a cup of tea and a slice of sourdough or french bread.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Slow mornings are awesome for the belly! new
      #340767 - 01/13/09 11:31 AM
Nelly

Hm, I think you're right... Whose post was I replying to...?

I think I saw the word "mornings" and started blabbing away! (Sorry to get off track! )

My waking up routine was such a revelation to me when I found something that finally worked, now I just have to tell everybody!! Tee heee. Thanks, everybody.

~nelly~

Re: Slow mornings are awesome for the belly! new
      #340783 - 01/13/09 04:49 PM
Pennie

Reged: 11/24/08
Loc: South Carolina, US

Well, your routine worked for me this morning. I plan on sticking to it. Thanks for the great advice!

--------------------
IBS~D

Re: Slow mornings are awesome for the belly! new
      #340799 - 01/14/09 08:39 AM
Nelly

No problem! I'm so glad to help. There are some wonderful people on these boards who can give great advice. I've gotten a lot of "Ah HAH" moments here.

~nelly~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1436 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2146

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review