All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IMMUNE SYSTEM LOW
      #340684 - 01/11/09 06:48 AM
b232

Reged: 05/05/05
Loc: Seguin, Texas USA

EVER SINCE I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH IBS I HAVE FELT ON MY OWN ACCOUNT THAT I HAVE A VERY LOW IMMUNE SYSTEM. WHENEVER SOMEONE AROUND ME IS SICK I SEEM TO GET THAT SAME SICKNESS THE NEXT DAY WITH FAR MORE STRONGER SYMPTOMS THAN THE PREVIOUS PERSON WHO GAVE IT TOO ME. NO MATTER WHAT IT IS COLD,FLU,STOMACH VIRUS ETC.. AND NO ITS NOT ALL IN MY HEAD BECAUSE EVERY SINGLE TIME IM SICK I GO SEE MY DR AND THEY CONFIRM EVERY ILLNESS AND PERSCRIBE ANTIBIOTICS. I WOULD LOVE TO BOOST MY IMMUNE SYSTEM ANY VITAMIN SUGGESTIONS?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IMMUNE SYSTEM LOW new
      #340733 - 01/12/09 05:31 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Do you mean you are being prescribed antibiotics for colds and stomach viruses? I don't know, but I'm thinking antibiotics wouldn't help a viral infection and would eventually play havoc with your gut, where 70% of your immune system is! Antibiotics (mycotoxins)are powerful immune suppressants. I take probiotics (restores bowel flora and provides crucial support to our immune system) as well as a reputable brand of beta glucan, which is also an immune booster. I am an elementary school teacher, and since being on them for almost 3 years, have not been sick one day, not even a sniffle. May be coincidence, but I'm continuing my supplements, just in case. Are you eating from a good variety of "safe" fruits and vegetables? Try to limit sugar intake, as well.

Re: IMMUNE SYSTEM LOW - Atttn. Kim new
      #340781 - 01/13/09 03:55 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08

Hi, Kim -
I'm back to trying no sugar/yeast again! I'm also trying something different - a breakfast smoothie made with 1% milk that has probiotics in it, Activia w/ its probiotics, Danactive with it's immunity probiotics, plus frozen peaches and Stevia - occasionally half a banana. So far, it's very filling and has not caused any problems - althought I'm in my wonderful "C" phase right now. I did learn a very hard lesson - I cannot tolerate large amounts of fiber - thought my stomach would explode!
Do you take a particular brand of probiotics? I'm back to reading Doug's books and trying to concentrate on lean protein - espeically chicken and fish - and veggies, plus some fruits. One more question (I promise!) - what do you snack on - please don't say veggies and fruits! I don't tolerate them well unless they are steamed...
Thanks and congratulations on doing so well!!!
Blessings - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Edited by GaGa (01/13/09 07:55 PM)

Re: IMMUNE SYSTEM LOW new
      #340791 - 01/13/09 06:55 PM
b232

Reged: 05/05/05
Loc: Seguin, Texas USA

DO YOU MEAN THAT YOU EAT YOGURT OR FOODS OF THAT SORT. I HAVE HEARD OTHERS TALK ABOUT PROBIOTICS AND NEVER AND STILL DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE OR HOW YOU COME ACROSS IN GETTING THEM (PERSCRIPTION FROM DR, OVER THE COUNTER ETC..)

#340970 - 01/18/09 07:06 PM
kim123

Dorothy,
How is the diet going for you? I take Nature's Way Primadolphilus Reuteri, with no problems. As for the snacks I used to eat when on the diet(I am not following the diet strictly right now, so now I may eat things like crackers and such, but still limited amounts) that would include almonds, "legal" cheesecake with fresh or frozen berries, V8 juice, plain whole fat yogurt with green apples or berries, sweetened with Stevia, cold chicken legs (or breast pieces) with carrots and dip, and yes...(sorry!)veggies, berries or green apples sprinkled with cinnamon. After 2 weeks of the phase one diet, I would add yeast-free millet bread, toasted for a snack, yeast free tortilla bread with tuna or chicken filling, or heat/fry tortilla pieces in pan until crisp like tortilla chips and spread tuna or chicken salad on them. I found I didn't miss the chips, pretzels, crackers, sweets I used to eat once I started the diet. I lost the cravings, I guess. And, when I started feeling so good, I didn't want to sabotage it with those "forbidden" foods, until I knew I was out of the woods and well on my way to recovery. I actually had to force myself to eat at one point; I just lost my appetite.

Let me know how you're doing. Would you feel better if you had a friend (me!) to go on it again with you? I probably should do a 2 week stint to get rid of all the garbage in my body that I ate over the holidays

#340981 - 01/18/09 10:26 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08

Hey, Kim -
Thanks so much! This is the kind of information I need. All the books I've read (I think I could start a lending library ), never gave me such comprehensive information. I think I could do this - except for the berries and nuts (diverticulosis ). Let me get through this stressful week and get back with you, after I get my ducks in a row. I've done a little better this week, trying to cut out all sugar and related products and only the occasional 100-cal. bagel. The only other "bad" thing I've been doing is making smoothies in the AM w/ Acidophilus/Biffidus...1% milk + Activia, Stevia and frozen peaches. I can't tell that this has caused any problems to date...
But, this is wonderful inforation and think it will enhance my planning to get serious about the diet.
Thank you so VERY much!
Blessings & {{Hugs}} - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#341032 - 01/19/09 05:57 PM
kim123

The smoothies sound delicious!I'd say, if they don't bother you, keep eating them. Lots of good stuff in them. The only thing I can see that might be a problem is the yeast in the bagel.Can you buy yeast-free bread, or bagels? You are so sweet. Hope things go well for you. Let me know if you want to do the diet together.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 515 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2160

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review