All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
need your opinion
      #339236 - 12/11/08 04:55 PM
celestial7381

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Everett, Washington

It has been awhile since I have been on the forum. I know this is a great place to get advise. So at my current job, it is really stressing me out and really triggers my ibs eventhough I take all of the procautions. They have moved me to a diffent department that I have turn down before because I new moving me there would make my ibs worse because it is a stressfull environment for me. I have been looking for another job in a field that I really love and I know won't trigger my symptoms. I know that times are bad right now but I need to think about my health too. Have any of you gone through this before, and do you think it is a good idea to do a career that I know will make me better or stay at my current job and have my symptons occur alot until the economy get better? What do you think?

Celeste

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: need your opinion new
      #339237 - 12/11/08 05:20 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Your health always, always, ALWAYS comes first. It doesn't matter what job you work,or how the economy is--if you don't have your health, you won't be able to work anyway.

I would move towards a career that was fulfilling, less stressful, and most importantly makes you happy. What good is life, if every day of it your are in a job that is destroying you health?

I have been where you are at. I have made changes in this economy. Sometimes, you just need to get a little creative.

I wish you the best!

Lynn

#339238 - 12/11/08 06:44 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

It depends on your health, your age, and if you are the only wage earner in the family. Things are getting lean again, and good jobs are going to be hard to find.

Now is not the time to be low man on the totem pole.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

consider staying very carefully before you take the plunge new
      #339240 - 12/11/08 06:58 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Here's my story for you...
I left my job 2 yrs back with a similar rationale for leaving to yours and went into business for myself doing work that's more flexible, creative and true to myself. The shocker was that while I left the stresses of my job behind, I and all of my baggage came with me. So there I was, poorer, freer, more creative, happier in my job, and an absolute mess in terms of ibs, stress level which now was over money and much more. I love my new work compared to the old and if I can manage to make a living, it will have been smart to leave, but it didn't change my ibs or even my stress level too significantly. My main wish is that there had been some way to go down to p/t in my old job while I transitioned into my work, but there wasn't the option so I took the leap. Still feels like the right choice, but didn't solve my problems the way I thought it would. So I would advise, look (within) before you leap. Good luck with your decision!

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#339241 - 12/11/08 07:18 PM
osbo54

Remember, in my other post I said "move towards". I did not say to quit and drop everything in hopes of being happier and healthier. The key words again are "move towards". There is a big difference.

Best wishes
Lynn

#339242 - 12/11/08 08:04 PM
celestial7381

I am 29 and my boyfriend has a job. I have already got a warning at work because I have already missed a couple of days of work in the new place they have put me a month ago. I have been with the company for about 2 years. I just think my well being is more important then anything. I have always done things to make other people happy and now its time for me to make myself happy with what I do as a career. And plus my employeer lied to my face and I don't really appreciate that.

Re: consider staying very carefully before you take the plunge new
      #339243 - 12/11/08 08:14 PM
celestial7381

Before I quite I will find something else first, and I maybe able to do my job now part time also becasue it is really hard to find someone to do my job. All I know is I volunteer once a week at a shelter, which is the new job I am looking for any job to work with animals and I have experiance working in a vet clinic, and I get no symtoms at all because I am so busy and enjoy it and I forget about it if my tummy is acting up because I have thing that take my mind off of it. I work in automotive right now as a warranty admin. for kia and nissan. I have been in automotive for 10 years.

#339247 - 12/12/08 01:00 AM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

Quote:

All I know is I volunteer once a week at a shelter, which is the new job I am looking for any job to work with animals and I have experiance working in a vet clinic, and I get no symtoms at all because I am so busy and enjoy it and I forget about it if my tummy is acting up because I have thing that take my mind off of it.

Listen to yourself. Re-read what you said. You enjoy working with animals. You don't get your stomach issues. Can you put a price on that?

It's easy for me to say that... I don't know what your financial status is, but if you are able to get by in the less stressful atmosphere doing something you enjoy, I'd say it's a no-brainer.

Most of us (myself included) prostitute ourselves to some extent... we take jobs that we may not necessarily love because the money is good. OK, to an extent that is part of life, but if your health is suffering because of a job it's time to look elsewhere. It sounds to me that you've found that "elsewhere" already.

I can only suggest you have some serious soul-searching to do. I wish you the best of luck!

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

#339256 - 12/12/08 04:16 AM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Okay, that changes things, it sounds like you've found a real calling. I guess my real point is, switch jobs because you have a strong need to do something else like help animals, not for your stomach as the main reason. Let that be a happy side effect of doing something you're passionate about. Your plan sounds good to me, I think you should do it.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#339258 - 12/12/08 05:37 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Well i agree...if you know you can get a job elsewhere that you love...then do it.

IF your current job is making you that ill then get out.

I quit my job in June, we could've used the extra cash but it was making my IBS much worse.The thing is, I liked the job.It worked around my schedule I started after the kids left for school,I got home by noon or 1. If one of the kids was ill or I couldn't get a sitter, I was allowed to bring them with me.

Sound good? Well my bosses were also IDIOTS!!!! She was as stupid as a stump and money hungry,she just didn't get it that people weren't going to buy the product if it cost too much and we'd end up throwing it away.(I worked in produce at a grocery store.)
He would rant and rave and throw things around when something ticked him off.
The job,was great.
The atmosphere was lousy.

So I quit.

If money is really tight then consider two part time jobs.Just don't stay in a job just for the money.A new door will open , you just have to unlock it.

Things are tough everywhere but be creative,people are still spending money,at least they are around here.

Good luck and happy tummy days to you.
Chris

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#339268 - 12/12/08 06:58 AM
osbo54

That is very good news. I am glad you have found your calling. If working with animals does that for you, then that is where you need to be. You have found a passion that is close to my heart. Being an animal lover...I applaud you.

You can start at the ground floor with a veterinarian. It won't be good pay, but you will learn much. I believe there is schooling for a vet tech. I am not sure how much you would want to be involved with operations and such...maybe you just want to be at the front desk.

There is also your local Humane Society, but that can be heart-breaking at times.

Whatever you choose, be happy and stay well.

Lynn

#339271 - 12/12/08 06:58 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

ya know, Celeste, sometimes we just have to take chances and make changes in our lives when we are unhappy, especially when it is detrimental to our health. In this economy, I would never suggest to quit your job without having another lined up. It sounds like you have given this a lot of thought and do have a "plan of action". Personally, if I was really unhappy at my job and found something else I believe I would enjoy doing, even if it was for less money, I would go for it.

In the past I have been on the fence concerning some issues and here is what my husband would always tell me: "When you are willing to risk it all, you will win; however, winning may not come in the form you anticipated." I believe if you have the opportunity to do something you like, don't pass it up...you would probably regret it. Who knows what doors can open from a new opportunity.

Best of luck.
Sharon

Hold on to the job you have. new
      #339287 - 12/12/08 09:36 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

The next few months are going to be rough everywhere. The next thing you will be stressing over is trying to find work. Unless you work with horses or cattle jobs dealing with animals will be getting scarce. Pets are among the first things to go when folks start getting hungry.

I am not a doomsayer at all ... but it is time to hunker down. There are more folks out of work right now then anytime since 1984.

Anyway ... that's what I would tell my daughter who lives out in the NW.

Celeste ... just hold tight. Just wait.

There are some fine folks giving you advice, but we all might be in a fix for awhile.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#339303 - 12/12/08 12:24 PM
osbo54

Stick to your guns to make a change in your life. Even if you have to keep your job now on a PT basis, and explore the animal fields. There are plenty of PT jobs in receptionist/front desk areas in vet offices. There are also many jobs available in the cleaning of kennels and care of the animals (if you're into that). Go on-line and explore your options. Even if you choose not to make a move now, then you will be prepared to do so later. Don't give up on your dreams, no matter what the economy is or what the naysayers tell you.

Lynn

Lynn

#339312 - 12/12/08 11:37 PM
celestial7381

Thank you for all of the great advise. I think I am going to go for it and go for my new career path. I know it will take some time to find a new job, but I know its out there waiting for me someplace and will make me feel so much better in the long run. Thank you all!!!

#339626 - 12/18/08 07:53 PM
Jen-Hooz

Reged: 12/18/08
Loc: Somewhere in Indiana

Hi Celeste, I know exactly how you feel and it's important for you to follow your heart and your dreams, just make sure you can afford to leave your current job, knowing how rotten this economy is, and that there is a lot of competition out there, even in the veterinary business. Volunteering is wonderful, and there is a lot less pressure when you're volunteering only once a week. Wherever you go though, you'll run into "office politics," a-hole bosses, and job pressures that make you nervous and make your IBS worse. I know this because I am on my 2nd job this year. I have changed fields twice in the past year and I'm still dealing with the same old B.S. (and mild IBS!). Animals are wonderful to work with, but you'll have to deal with the people that no longer look at you as a "nice volunteer," suddenly you're a co-worker and the drama begins to unfold. If your BF is able to support you financially and with insurance while you look for a job, then you've got a head start on those people who are really hurting financially because they weren't expecting to lose their salary. Does the shelter need you to work there full-time and is the pay comparable? Can you afford to live off of the salary? In your current job, are you dealing with a lot of people (customers) that make your IBS occur? If you are working as a receptionist, you'll still be dealing with a lot of people. Anyway, I do know what you're going through and I think it's important to do what you know is right in your heart. Just be prepared for the consequences of not finding a job for awhile, or getting a much lower paying one. If you can deal with that, you should be just fine. =)

Take care of yourself,
J

#339710 - 12/20/08 06:15 AM
ericai

Reged: 11/09/08
Loc: Nassau County, NY

I would agree that the stress follows you and it is everywhere you go.

I worked at a very prominant animal shelter in my area for 4 years (in the offices) and we were all stressed out. There was high turnover within the whole shelter. Most shelter workers moved from shelter to shelter and there were definitely politics amongst all. Which vet said this or feels this way and is outspoken.....blah blah blah.

However, I was glad to have worked there. I really felt that I made a difference in animals lives and that I was working for an organization that made a difference.

When I was first diagnosed with ibs in 2000, I hated my job and made the switch to office work at the shelter. Hawkeye is right, the stress and ibs symptoms stayed with me. I really had to look within myself to see what else was going on in my life. It helped and the I did enjoy my job better than the old one (despite the politics).

hth. Good luck and best wishes

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

#339716 - 12/20/08 08:08 AM
osbo54

Erica,

That is very good advice. Look within. You do take your baggage with you, whether it be a job, marriage, relationship, etc.

Lynn

#339736 - 12/20/08 12:19 PM
Jen-Hooz

Reged: 12/18/08
Loc: Somewhere in Indiana

I agree with newest statements. It's hard to get away from yourself and that old adage sure rings true..."Wherever you go, there you are." It will be interesting to follow her story and see if the stress of her automotive job is within her, or the job itself. I wish her the best of luck!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1500 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5641

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review