All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
HELP!! I am at my wits end and graduating from Grad School
      #338987 - 12/06/08 10:31 AM
bdcanfield

Reged: 03/02/05
Loc: Carlisle, Pa USA

So, I have made it this far with IBS for 3 years (through college and grad school), now it is my last finals weeks I have only have 1 more paper, and 1 more presentation to do then I am FREE. However the last couple days and even couple weeks I have been so sick. I had a bad bout with the flu before thanksgiving for 3 days and think it is hitting again. Everyone keeps saying I am stressing myself out, I am trying not to, but everyone on here knows it is inevitable. Most of the time I am too nauseous to work on my paper, urgh. Also I have developed acid reflux so I can't do peppermint tea now (which was the one thing which helped my IBS). I will receive my Masters in Applied History on Friday and still waiting to here from job applications. I am so frustrated and even thinking about food makes me sick. I guess I just need some encouragement and tips to help. Sorry for the vent.

--------------------
Smile and the world smiles back

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: HELP!! I am at my wits end and graduating from Grad School new
      #338999 - 12/06/08 04:31 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Not much advice ... just praying for you. Don't ever give up.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#339000 - 12/06/08 05:00 PM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

bd, I couldn't help noticing that you're in Carlisle, PA, the same place the great Jim Thorpe went to college. Did you know he got his track practice sprinting to the john?

OK...OK... bad joke; just trying to lighten the mood.

I feel for you. It sounds as though your issue is being made worse by stress. Do you have a doctor there that can prescribe a stress reducer? (i.e. Xanax) A mild dose (50MG) helps me a lot.

Also, were you taking any anti-biotics when you had the flu?

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

#339002 - 12/06/08 05:29 PM
bdcanfield

Funny you should mention Jim Thorpe... I am in the process of writing my LAST paper on the Carlisle Indian School and its Legacy, including the Jim Thorpe folklore.

As to the dr -- no I have not since anyone lately -- the last time I saw a dr about another one of my conditions (endometriosiss) I was pretty much told it was in my head and that there was nothing they could do, some didn't even believe me after I showed them photos from a procedure to diagnosis it. Therefore trying to get stress medicines would be extremely difficult. Also since I am graduating I am being kicked off my parents health insurance and working on finding a job with health insurance
at this point I am unable to find coverage and being on any anxiety or related medication will make it even harder.

--------------------

#339003 - 12/06/08 05:30 PM
bdcanfield

Thank you so much. I am not giving up and won't -- just really frustrated.

--------------------

#339006 - 12/06/08 05:57 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

First of all congratulations on everything you have accomplished. It sounds like you are under a lot of stress right now which can reek havoc on our IBS tummys.

If you can't drink peppermint tea have you tried chamomile? Ginger is also good for nauseous tummy. You can also try going back to the beginning and eating only safe soluable foods for a few days. Are you taking a soluable fiber supplement?

I know you are very busy but try to find something that is relaxing and set aside a little time each day to try to relax. Have you tried the hypnosis tapes? They really do work.

One of my main IBS symptoms is nausea and if I eat too much fat I will always feel sick to my stomach and it doesn't matter how stable I am.

Try to eat absolutely IBS safe foods and stay away from any triggers you may have. I wish you luck with everything. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs

--------------------
Janey

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 614 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1604

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review