All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Problems getting worse and WORSE!!
      #338163 - 11/16/08 05:28 PM
InNeedOfHelp

Reged: 11/16/08

I am a 23 year old male. When I was 14, I started off with gas problems. I found myself often not being able to hold it like most others. This affected how I was in school, meetings, moods, as well as many others. As time progressed, problems got worse, it started to happen more often. By the age of 16, I dropped out of school because I could no longer endear the embarrasement it caused me. At the time, I was very insecure about this and hadn't discussed this with anyone. I was at this stage till right around 18 years old.

Then the next stage kicked in. I got to the point to where I could no longer take trips, go into meetings with people I didn't know, because I instantly had fears of having an accident. I thought it couldn't get any worse. Boy was I wrong. It was only the beginning.

I'll skip till where I am now. I am now 23, 9 years since I first noticed any problems. I will no longer leave my house unless it is within 5 minutes or to the hospital which I have been forced to go many times due to this. I have tried every diet. I have seen over 10 doctors (GI) and family practioners. I have had many tests done, i.e. colonsopy, small bowel series, upper, lower gi, etc... No one can find anything. I do not work because I get serverly sick.

I can handle the bathroom, gas problem, etc... What happens to me now is SEVERE SEVERE stomach cramps, pains, acid, etc... Sometimes I just want to fall over and die. The only minor relief I get is to sit in a hot bath tub to calm my stomach. Bentyl doesn't really work for me. The only med if at all that works for a few minutes is Mylanta, but I can't overdose on that. It only works for a few minutes.

My life is horrible now. I am always grouch with my family. I sleep 12-15 hours a day so I don't have to face these problems all day. I no longer see family or go to family gatherings because of this. Due to not having a job, I have no insurance. I can not step foot into a doctors office without having $100.00 to give them for the visit.

I have run out of answers. I am desperately looking for help as I can no longer live like this.

Anything you advise, please please help me out.

I thank you sooo much.

P.S. Again its a mixture of HORRIBLE sour stomach feeling, cramps, gas, etc... Mixture of all different pains...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Problems getting worse and WORSE!! new
      #338167 - 11/16/08 06:56 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Hi,

I feel so bad for you and I hear your pain. I am rather new to the board myself, and there are many more who will be much better able to advise you. You have come to the right place.

One thing that most on this board will probably ask first, is what is your diet like? Also, have you been tested for food allergies?

Maybe some of the other good people on this board may be able to help you some. I just wanted to say I hear you and I understand some of what you are going through.

Lynn

#338169 - 11/16/08 09:05 PM
asmithey

Reged: 11/16/08

Hello

Your story sounds very similiar to mine except I am 32 years old and female. I have always had gas and hated to go to school because of it. I have been really sick for 2 years now and had all the tests run that you had done and tried the same drugs and others. No drugs have helped me not have severe pain, nauesa, and bloating. I am now on the ibs diet faithfully no cheating. I have cheated in the past and the end result is pain. It took a while on the diet before I noticed the pain slowly going away. I mean at least a month and I also take benefiber every day so I do not have diarrhea which took a couple of days to work. I hope this helps and if you have any questions I am here for you. Take care

#338229 - 11/17/08 08:31 PM
lotsaqs2ask

Reged: 11/17/08
Loc: FL

I just wanted to say that I am as hopeless and lost as you are. I have gas all the time and I mean ALL the time. I honestly dont know how I have the nerve to show my face in public still. I guess I kind of try to block out the emotion. To stay positive we are connected in a place that can help. I wish you all the best.

--------------------
ibs c- gas

#338237 - 11/18/08 07:00 AM
Karen18

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Near Philadelphia, PA

You haven't said if you are following the Eating for IBS Diet. The diet is the only thing I've tried that has helped me stabilize. I am no longer afraid to leave the house, and I function fairly well.

For me, It is very important to eat, even when I am not feeling wel. An empty stomach always causes me to have cramping and gas. I always eat a soluble fiber snack when I wake up: usually dry corn pops, saltines or applesauce. I also use the acacia powder three times a day.

For the gas, I always drink herbal tea before every meal, and once again before bed. I take GasX before meals, and I keep hard candy peppermints with me at all times to suck on after meals.

Exercise is also extremely important for relieving the gas. I have a desk job, and on the days that I don't get up and move around, I am miserable at the end of the day. If you can't get outside to walk around the block or in your yard, try stretching and yoga postures a couple of times a day.

All of these things will help. It takes time, but you will get better!

#338251 - 11/18/08 08:32 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Hey guys. Gas can be a real problem but everyone farts.Some more than others.I have a friend who isn't IBS but she farts more than any one I've EVER met.
She eats biactive yogurt.That makes a difference for her but it takes two weeks to see results.Some people with IBS can eat yogurt with no problems.

Try a heat pad for cramping.
Eat white bread from the bakery often.Start every meal with a slice or two. Rice can cause gas and bloating and cramps too.
Keep food in your tummy always.Snack on pretzels between meals.
Drink lots of water.Not tap or even reg bottled.Use distilled water.It has nothing in it.
Keep a food diary.Absolute MUST!!
This will help you pinpoint certain foods that trigger problems.Keep track everyday of your reactions too.I mean EVERY bite you take.You may see a pattern. Especially if you are house bound.You may be snacking on unsafe foods and not even know it.
Make sure you go outside and get fresh air, even to your own backyard.The sun always makes me feel better.

You should also look into finishing school over the internet.There are jobs that you can do from your home too.

Once you can get a handle on this you should be able to find a way to function on a day to day basis. Then you can start looking for a job.Be upfront with any potential employers too.You may be surprised how many other people have IBS and you may find a boss that completely understands.If not than that is not the boss for you.
Hth if I think of anything else I will let you know.

One more thing,I use IModium. You can buy one that has help for gas cramps and bloating and it really does work.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Re:Dragonfly - Question, Please new
      #338265 - 11/18/08 11:05 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I'm in a fix and need advice. I have several diagnosed back problems, but recently re-injured it, then developed a sinus infection and since all that "gunk" drains internally (nothing nasal) + cough - I have had continuous diarrhea and cramps for 3 days now - not able to go to work. No matter what I eat - it goes right through me and I literally have to run - coughing is a nightmare!
Have you heard of this w/ a sinus infection? Is it abnormal to have to go as many as 10-12 times a day when going through a flare? And, one more - I have never taken Immodium (scaredy cat of anything new!) - but, I'm desperate, does it cause any side effects - even if I'm on an antibiotic?
Thanks, in advance, for listening and advice.
Blessings! Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#338272 - 11/18/08 11:37 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I don't have d but try the Immodium I don't think it would hurt anything. Hope you feel better soon. Its worth it if you find some relief. xxxx
emmamsom
ibs-c gas

#338295 - 11/18/08 02:52 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Yes post nasal drip can cause stomach upset and d.
Try Imodium, you can use as much as needed.I use maybe two to start and one a bit later.
You can also use Slippery Elm.They come in tablets and they soothe your intestinal wall for both d and c.
It is fine to use with antibiotics(Imodium)

In my worst flare ups d all day.
At best d in morning.
But eating anything can trigger d within seconds.
So yes yes yes.
Try the imodium to help immediately and try slippery Elm for a longer term solution.
Hope you feel better soon, you seem to be one of the only ones on here who has such great advice all the time and we surely appreciate it.
Feel better soon.
Chris

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#338297 - 11/18/08 03:43 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

You are an angel! Thanks so much. Will try tonight.
And, thank you for the kind comment.
Blessings! Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 348 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4945

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review