All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question??
      #336734 - 10/04/08 01:52 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Hey everyone,

I wanted to run a situation by all of you. Ever since I ordered the Acacia fiber I have been great. I just take 1/2 teaspoon in the evening before bed, and the next day I am good to go. Sometimes, I go several times, but it is formed and it is wonderful. I found relief immediately with this, so it has to be the fiber, since I didn't change anything else.

I haven't been watching too closely what I eat, although I do tend to steer away from a few things, only having them occasionally. Last night for dinner I had a small salad (I haven't had a salad for awhile) and a potato cake. I fell asleep before I could take my 1/2 teaspoon of fiber and this morning when I woke up I was sooooooo bloated. Then found myself in the bathroom with gas and a little loose stool, but I just went ahead and took Immodium because I had a soccer game. Now, it may not have ended up being much more than a little, but I didn't have the time to find out. If I had been at home all day, I would have given it time to run it's course. I was fine the rest of the day, so far,(I am usually only bothered in the AM), and I took an extra calcium to be sure.

My question is this. Could one night of missing the fiber have caused this? so quickly??? I don't think it was the salad, because as I said, I do eat pretty much what I want.
But, it had been a long while since I had a salad. I have had veggies here and there, but not a full salad.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much, Lynn

IBS-A (for about a year now)

Edited by osbo54 (10/04/08 01:56 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question?? new
      #336735 - 10/04/08 02:25 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

My guess would be the salad. The reason being there is no rhyme or reason for IBS. I am a long time person on these boards and had been stable for about 3 years, then all of a sudden I had a relaspe. Some of things I use to eat bother me right now and it's frustrating. The thing with IBS is that a trigger food may not bother you the first time or second, but then out of nowhere it will. Salads are very hard to tolerate for many people because of the high amount of IF in it. Get yourself back on track with the Acacia and maybe cut the salad out for dinner or eat a very small one with lots of SF with it. HTH

#336736 - 10/04/08 06:06 PM
kteach

Reged: 09/15/08
Loc: New York, NY

I would say the bloating was probably from the salad, and also possibly from falling asleep too soon after you ate. I get much more bloated when I don't move around much after eating. As far as the loose BM, I think it was probably a combination of missing the acacia and having more IF than you are used to. The fiber powder adds bulk and smooths the path of whatever is moving through your system so even missing it for one day can have effects. It is not the sort of thing that has a long lasting effect (like some medications). I have definitely noticed big differences when I miss a dose or take a different type of fiber.

Hope you are feeling better! Next time you want to have a salad, try taking the acacia first, or eating the salad with some bread. I find that helps alot.

Do you find that calcium supplements are helpful? I mentioned them to my doctor and got a lecture about how things that are supposedly "natural" are not necessarily better than prescription medication. I would like to give them a try, though, as I am hoping to get pregnant and would like to get off my prescriptions! What kind do you take?

Best,
Kathy

--------------------
IBS-D 8 years

#336738 - 10/04/08 07:51 PM
osbo54

Hi Kathy,

Doctors are something, aren't they? It's all about how many drugs they can load us up on. Sometimes, I feel we must take our healing into our own hands, regardless of what they say. If you look at TV today, it's just legal drug pushers. I feel sometimes we so want the quick fix, that we don't take the time to really figure out what is going on with us. It took us some time to become ill, so it may take some time to become well. I do not go the drug route if I can help it.

Oh, and I am sorry. I am on my soap box again.
To answer your question about the calcium, I use the Caltrate 600 with vitamin D. I don't take it for my bones, but for the diarhhea. It does seem to help, and it is extra reassurance along with the Immodium. You will have to play with your dose, because I think it can constipate you, if you do have that problem also. I think what I read is that it goes to the gut and absorbs extra liquid, so your stool is more solid. Give it a try, it certainly won't hurt you.

Thanks for your helpful advice. I just took the Acacia. I won't be missing that again. And, I think I will lay low on the salads for awhile.

Thanks so much!

Lynn

#336739 - 10/04/08 07:57 PM
osbo54

Hi there,

Yes, you are exactly right. I can eat some things all the time, and then BAM!!- out of the blue, I am bothered. Sometimes it's hard to figure out which food bothered me. Was it what I ate yesterday or two days ago, since I am bothered by both D & C.

It is very frustrating. I have never had a problem with a salad in my life until the past year. As a matter of fact, I used to hear people say, "That salad went right through me", and I used to wonder what the heck they were talking about. Now, I know.

I think I will pass on the salads for awhile. Thanks for your advice and thanks for listening.

Lynn

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 968 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1573

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review