All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Glucose pregnancy test & IBS
      #336627 - 10/01/08 07:51 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

So I have to do my 28-week glucose test next week where they make me drink that awful syrup-y stuff and then test my blood sugar to make sure I don't have gestational diabetes. I keep hearing this stuff referred to as "orange soda" and I have to admit I'm a little nervous. Is it juice or carbonated?? My IBS just can't tolerate either of those, so I'm really nervous that whatever they give me is going to put me in IBS hell the rest of the day. Anyone know?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Glucose pregnancy test & IBS new
      #336629 - 10/01/08 08:11 AM
ibsnotme

Reged: 03/07/06

It's neither-it's like the syrup to make soda before the carbonation is added. I had to take it three times with my son. It didn't upset my digestive system, but I suffered from terrible nausea and drinking the sweet stuff on an empty stomach was awful. Hopefully it won't bother you. It is an important test. Good luck.

#336638 - 10/01/08 03:32 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Now when I had Ava almost two years ago the orange stuff they gave me was carbonated. I was surprised because with my son it wasn't. It was that sickening flat syrupy stuff. I asked the nurse and she said they started carbonating it for the taste since so many people complained about it. If I remember right it did not bother my tummy much at all. But I can also tolerate caffine free pop normally. Anyways hope all goes well!

#336654 - 10/02/08 09:18 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

It taste like flat orange pop its sweet but no that sweet. Ask for it cold it goes down better! It didn't bother me a bit when I did it! hth
emmasmom ibs-c gas

Not a problem for me.... new
      #336705 - 10/03/08 01:00 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

It was grossly sweet and it did make me and my son (who I suspect has IBS) very hyper. He moved around quite a bit afterwards. Didn't seem to bother dd at all, but she was so busy moving the whole time any way - very little has changed!

What Sheila said I do remember, more like flat soda, not highly carbonated at all -

It was gross, but not nearly as awful as everyone made it out to be...hth!

Thanks, Ladies! new
      #336804 - 10/07/08 03:25 PM
Lisa Marie

You all made me feel a lot better about this. One more day to go... hopefully it won't be too bad! Luckily, my IBS hasn't given me too many problems during my pregnancy, but I attribute that to getting stable beforehand. I'm starting to get gas like you wouldn't believe, but I don't think I can blame that on IBS! Thankfully, DH hasn't complained - yet!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

I think I passed...! new
      #336943 - 10/12/08 08:15 AM
Lisa Marie

When I checked my results online today, my test result was flagged as "low", which I'm guessing is better than "high". I didn't get a call from my doctor, which I take to mean good news. Hopefully I'll get an explanation next week.

The test was not so bad at all! The liquid I had to drink was just like flat minute maid, not sugary-tasting or carbonated. Piece of cake!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1003 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3934

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review