All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
new to IBS management
      #335474 - 08/31/08 10:04 AM
alimarg

Reged: 08/31/08

I have had IBS since I was a child, although it was only diagnosed a few years ago. I have primarily diahrrhea (sp?) and have just lived with it. As I get older (I'm 47) my job as a teacher is getting harder to manage and I'm often popping immodium. So I bought Heather's book and I didn't even know about soluble fibre until last week. I know I should look more specifically at message boards, etc. but I guess my basic question is, if I try to stick with an IBS diet, will taking supplements enable me to eat "trigger foods" or should I still try to stay entirely away from them. Unfortunately, given a choice, I would be a meatatarian who also loves wine! I'd like to hear people's thoughts.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: new to IBS management new
      #335477 - 08/31/08 11:14 AM
sheik3

Reged: 01/24/06

I have been following Heather for about 2 years-It has helped me so much (mainly bloating and constipation). When I overeat or eat certain things I revert back to the problems. Beggining ot think I am allergic to wheat. I am lactose intolerant..The Tummy Fiber is a Godsend for me.I ear a tablespoon every day. I have been having bloating more lately so am looking a the messasge boards and site to get back on track. Just drank my Fennel tea....Good luck and keep your Chart of what to eat on side of fridge while new to make choices easier.
Sheila

#335486 - 08/31/08 07:28 PM
alimarg

Reged: 08/31/08

there is a test for Celiac disease (allergy to glutin which is in wheat)...I had it a few years ago.

#335494 - 09/01/08 04:55 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Stick to the diet.Avoid trigger foods as much as possible.Once you start to feel better,then add other foods in to find out if you can handle them.A few attacks after feeling better may cause you to stay away from triggers for good though.
You might be able to eat normal again someday but it depends on what triggers your ibs.Stress is a biggie.I go through spells that last maybe a year where I can't eat anything and then eventually I can eat almost anything.Even people with normal bowels have triggers too that they avoid so its what you feel comfortable doing and how well your body responds to the changes.

Good luck to you.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1906 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1193

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review