Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
4am and woke up cramped and scared - need to just vent
      #335312 - 08/27/08 02:05 AM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Hi,

Just posting to help myself through another episode. I'm trying not to panic. Our daughter woke us up - she's been up and crying for an hour or so. Now she's asleep in bed with my wife and I'm up and almost crying instead! I hope what's wrong is that I tensed up in be for an hour trying to sleep through her crying, while occasionally waking up to soothe her. But now my stomach is cramped, I can't breathe well, and I have d. I'm drinking hot water and trying to breathe and stave off the panic that comes wiht this for me.

From therapy, I'm supposed to tell myself: I can handle this. I have had many, similar episodes and most haven't led me to throw up. Even if I did, that isn't more pain than I endure on an almost daily basis, just more emotionally charged for me because of my history. Also, I want to face this in a mature way to teach my daughter that she doesn't need to be scared. So I don't pass down this fear that was passed down to me.
Typing it helps, but not a lot. Its so hard for me to not slip back into panicked, helpless mode of thinking.
Well I think both typing this, and also the hot tea is helping. Without the panic this might have been just a five minute stomach ache. I should try to go back to sleep.
I've been offline, on vacation, hope everyone has been feeling well. Thanks to everyone who listens...

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 4am and woke up cramped and scared - need to just vent new
      #335347 - 08/27/08 02:31 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Hawkeye -
Hope you did indeed feel better and were able to relax and get some rest. I understand about the inherited stuff and the therapy too - I try to talk myself through - reminding myself I've been there before and made it, but it is sooooo hard! My daughter was in the hospital and I was trying to take care of her and having PA's at the same time, trying not to let it show!! I'll just wave my magic wand and click my heels twice and all will be well! Has your therapist ever mentioned EFT??? It really sounds crazy, but it helped me when I was in therapy and I just bought Gary Craig's manual to try it again... You're doing better than you think - I can tell by your posts. {{Hugs}} and peaceful days - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#335382 - 08/28/08 10:52 AM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Thank you GaGa! I did make it through the panic in minutes rather than hours that night. I'm improving but it doesn't feel that way, because of course I like to imagine that the problem will somehow just disappear rather than shorter and shorter periods of anxiety. I definitely identify with your story from the hospital - not passing this fear on to my daughter is my greatest motivator. I just read a little online about EFT, I'm so glad it helped you, but I don't think its for me. We'll see, maybe I'll try it at some point. THanks...

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#335392 - 08/28/08 04:25 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Glad you are doing well. I'm just rediscovering EFT, and not really practicing it, but at this point I can't tell if it's anxiety or IBS or just the viscious cycle. And, I'd be willing for them to lace the water with marijuana if it would just bring calmness, serenity, the ability to deal with situations and not over-react, eat normally, just enjoy life - bring it on!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#335526 - 09/02/08 12:42 PM
SummerGrl

Reged: 09/02/08
Loc: Waukegan, IL, USA

Hey there Hawkeye. I just joined as a new user & I want to express my complete understanding with what you're going through. It's strange how the body just does what it does, even when one is asleep. I'm sure you got through this one-as I read in the posts-and I've been there myself. Just this morning I wake up from a nice deep sleep(2:30am)with those cramps & the need to use the bathroom. I wasn't scared & had no anxiety, but it was almost like "water" coming out. I've had IBS for some 30 years of my 43 years of life & am pretty used to it. Doctors first thought it was Lactose Intollerance, but then realized the IBS. This mornings' event took 4 times to complete, and each time I was in the bathroom 5 minutes or so. Don't think I'm wierd, but I don't really mind it too much (ok I was mad it woke me up-just wanted to sleep). Luckily there was no pain or problems. I actually look at it that my body is just 'cleaning out the pipes'....no pun intended

I've not gone for therapy, but actually do the same thing you do-tell myself I'll get through this just as I've gotten through it before; this is not going to control my life & I will be fine. And like most of us-when I'm nervous &/or really stressed, it does get worse. Here's something else I say when it's really acting up...."I refuse to do this anymore today; this is going to stop-I just don't WANT this anymore." You know, several times that does help.

Sorry to go on, but I am very happy for you getting through your recent ordeal Hawkeye. It's so nice to have this forum to just vent or ask questions; Heather is so WONDERFUL & HELPFUL-reminding us that we're NOT alone in this. Oh real quick--next time you're going through an 'event', try a heating pad or water bottle on your tummy. Feels soooo good & is relaxing.

Health & happiness Hawkeye !

--------------------
Best Always !

Tricia

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2378 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2085

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review