All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Anyone A or C people have trouble w/ hemorrhoids?
      #334951 - 08/20/08 04:22 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

It's embarassing... but, if you have this problem, please let me know what you do and if you have bleeding (bright red on tissue/bowl), does it freak you out?? When I'm in my "C" mode, I try to eat lots of IF and occasionally have severe cramps, even if I eat SF first - then if I don't go every day, I end up with "C", cramping and Hems. w/ bleeding. I can't swallow flax seed oil capsules - too big and I can't "stomach" (excuse the pun!) - the very thought of swallowing a spoonful of flax oil or olive oil before a meal. I've thought of adding FiberCon - used it years ago, but think I may need a softener instead. Problem: any stool softener I've taken in the past has caused cramping... Any suggestions most welcome!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone A or C people have trouble w/ hemorrhoids? new
      #334953 - 08/20/08 05:18 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I've had them on occasion - it's not a regular occurance for me, but it is awful scary when it does happen! I take FiberCon and I do find it to help my stools be softer - it's bulk forming, so instead of passing hard, dry stools, I'm passing a softer, bulkier stool. Lots of water helps too! I would stay away from stool softeners if at all possible.

Feel better soon!!

--------------------
IBS-C

#334982 - 08/20/08 10:30 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

Hi Dorothy,

I have suffered with hemmies off and on for years...What seems to help is that every day I eat a high fiber diet with lots of fruits/veggies and tons of water. I need a lot more IF than SF. I also eat about 3/4 cup of some sort of bean every day (beans have always really helped me have a good BM). Have you ever tried ground flax? Do not buy it ground. Buy whole flax seed and grind it yourself in a coffee maker and use right away. I do about a tablespoon every day in a smoothie or applesauce. I used to do 2-3 tablespoons a day. I can usually keep the hemmies under control if I am eating properly.

If I do feel them coming on, here are a few measures I take and have worked especially if I start doing right away. I'm going to get a little graphic here. Always before having a BM I put a wad of vaseline on my finger, rub around anus and stick a little inside. This lubricates everything and if the stool is hard, it's easier to slip out without tearing the skin. Always use some sort of "Baby Wipe" instead of toilet paper.....much gentler on the behind. I sometimes take a "Tucks" medicated pad, and instead of just cleaning area with it, leave it sit there for a while while laying down. The medication has some time then to saturate area. There is one more thing I do before going to bed. I crack open a "wheat germ oil" capsule and rub the oil on the hemmies. (Can get these capsules in HFS) Have done tons of research on what other people have done and the above things have helped me. Just try to tackle them right away when you feel them coming on.

Good luck.
Sharon

No but..... new
      #334999 - 08/20/08 12:35 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

I have to tell you Dorothy, it is one of my biggest worries when the "C" flares up - especially when I was preggo and right after the babies came - I had c-sections both times and was so plugged up from the drugs - those first BM's were the worst ever! I'm so sorry you're struggling w/this, I hope you get some relief soon.

#335010 - 08/20/08 02:36 PM
GaGa

Thank you sooooooooooooo much! It's embarassing, but I needed information. You know how your imagination runs wild and it's been about 5 years since my colonoscopy and am not anxious to repeat it yet. But, I know if I go in with these symptoms, that's what he'll say and I know in my heart, it just those stupid veins! I have tried the vaseline and it does help! I know I'm not getting enough exercise now. Since school started I'm working with students and scheduling at the computer all day and even forget to eat or go pee until I stand up! Thank you again for sharing with me! {{Hugs}} Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#335011 - 08/20/08 02:38 PM
GaGa

Thank you, Fen, I will buy some FiberCon at the drug store tomorrow. I really don't want to do stool softeners - too much cramping. I appreciate your response so much! - {{Hugs}}Dorothy

--------------------

beans? new
      #335028 - 08/20/08 04:19 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

I also eat about 3/4 cup of some sort of bean every day

Any particular type? Canned or homemade? And how do you fit it into you diet every day without having every dinner be beans? I need ideas on how to get more beans into my diet.

Can you post a sample daily menu? How many/what particular kinds of fruits and veggies do you usually eat every day?

Thanks so much

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: beans? new
      #335069 - 08/21/08 07:13 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

Here is pretty much what I eat almost daily

Breakfast: oatmeal with 1/2 cup blueberries, l Tablespoon crushed almonds, 2 tsp acacia and rice milk. After this I have my 1/2 cup of coffee.

snack: cooked carrots, piece of fruit (pear or nectarine). I used to eat a lot of figs, but they started giving me problems. (Cannot do bananas and have to be careful with apples and grapes)

lunch: Ezekial bread sandwich with hummus, sprouts and spinach, piece of fruit

snack: smoothie with strawberries, raspberries, pineapple, (frozen if not fresh), 2 tsp acacia and 1 tablespoon ground flax and rice milk.

dinner: sometimes grilled chicken, sometimes fish, boiled or baked potatoes or rice or pasta. Some sort of vegetable like green beans, peas, broccoli, carrots. As far as the beans go, I will make a big batch of baked beans in my crock pot or used canned ones. I like baked the best or else refried beans from a can. I'll just put the beans over potatoes or rice. Else make burritos using refried or black beans on a flour tortilla. Else I'll just eat them as a side dish. I sometimes take a piece of bread and spread it thick with refried beans. I love beans and have come up with lots of different ways to fit them in.

Several months ago my GI told me to push my fiber grams up to 60 per day. I thought "no way"!!! I started adding lots of fiber and was crampy at first so I backed down and did it slowly...I now am at about 60 grams per day (probably 1/3 SF and 2/3 IF) and doing soooooo much better. That's where the beans started coming in......you can eat a small amount but get tons of fiber.

I snack on stuff like Quaker Crunchy Corn bran if I need to get some extra fiber. I will also throw in an extra fruit sometime during the day if needed. (I like to get about 8 servings of fruit/veggies per day)

I also drink TONS of water.

I must say at first I thought I could never eat this much fiber, but now several months into this I almost always have easy, complete bowel movements. I never feel hungry and I never have cravings for junkie stuff. In fact, my entire intestinal track has seemed to settle down.

Sharon

#335070 - 08/21/08 07:50 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

very helpful. Thanks! Your meals look fantastic and yummy!

But I still don't see how you get the beans into your diet, unless you are counting the hummus as beans...but that doesn't have much fiber at all. How much do you use? And you eat 2 pieces of this bread? You eat beans for dinner? But what about when you have chicken or fish?

I'm not sure what kind of beans I like. Maybe lentils? What are your favorites?

Thanks again. I really need help trying to get more beans into my diet. But if I eat chicken or fish for dinner with a veggie, how do I fit in the beans?

Oh, for your sandwhich do you use raw spinach?

Can you eat rice? So, in the fall, you only eat pears? with skin? and about how much fruit do you add to your smoothie, cereals?

Sorry so many questions...but this is what I think I need to try next! It doesn't seem to follow the EFI guidelines, though.

I wish I could do Acacia...but it just makes me more C and bloated, I think.

Thanks again.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#335097 - 08/21/08 11:11 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

My girlfriend totally has to eat beans like everyday to keep things moving.She doesn't have IBS but she really notices a difference when she hasn't had beans(So does the whole county Shes pretty windy on a good day!)
She has actually started trying activia yogurt and she said at first it made her bloated but after two weeks she was doing great.They do say on the commercials to try it for two weeks so maybe.....
If you want to try beans come to our town this weekend.It's our annual Beanfest.
You got it!Beans everywhere.They started cooking them on Monday and will cook all week long.The smell is floating through town and it's forbidden to light a match after supper
We have a huge classic car show about 1200 cars and a local market through the streets with vendors from all over,entertainment all day long and a beer tent! At night they have a dance and that is usually where you see people you haven't seen all year.It's a blast.Going to miss it this year..going camping instead.
Good luck with the beans!

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4313 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6434

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review