All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Anyone A or C people have trouble w/ hemorrhoids?
      #334951 - 08/20/08 04:22 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

It's embarassing... but, if you have this problem, please let me know what you do and if you have bleeding (bright red on tissue/bowl), does it freak you out?? When I'm in my "C" mode, I try to eat lots of IF and occasionally have severe cramps, even if I eat SF first - then if I don't go every day, I end up with "C", cramping and Hems. w/ bleeding. I can't swallow flax seed oil capsules - too big and I can't "stomach" (excuse the pun!) - the very thought of swallowing a spoonful of flax oil or olive oil before a meal. I've thought of adding FiberCon - used it years ago, but think I may need a softener instead. Problem: any stool softener I've taken in the past has caused cramping... Any suggestions most welcome!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone A or C people have trouble w/ hemorrhoids? new
      #334953 - 08/20/08 05:18 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I've had them on occasion - it's not a regular occurance for me, but it is awful scary when it does happen! I take FiberCon and I do find it to help my stools be softer - it's bulk forming, so instead of passing hard, dry stools, I'm passing a softer, bulkier stool. Lots of water helps too! I would stay away from stool softeners if at all possible.

Feel better soon!!

--------------------
IBS-C

#334982 - 08/20/08 10:30 AM
sharond

Reged: 10/29/07

Hi Dorothy,

I have suffered with hemmies off and on for years...What seems to help is that every day I eat a high fiber diet with lots of fruits/veggies and tons of water. I need a lot more IF than SF. I also eat about 3/4 cup of some sort of bean every day (beans have always really helped me have a good BM). Have you ever tried ground flax? Do not buy it ground. Buy whole flax seed and grind it yourself in a coffee maker and use right away. I do about a tablespoon every day in a smoothie or applesauce. I used to do 2-3 tablespoons a day. I can usually keep the hemmies under control if I am eating properly.

If I do feel them coming on, here are a few measures I take and have worked especially if I start doing right away. I'm going to get a little graphic here. Always before having a BM I put a wad of vaseline on my finger, rub around anus and stick a little inside. This lubricates everything and if the stool is hard, it's easier to slip out without tearing the skin. Always use some sort of "Baby Wipe" instead of toilet paper.....much gentler on the behind. I sometimes take a "Tucks" medicated pad, and instead of just cleaning area with it, leave it sit there for a while while laying down. The medication has some time then to saturate area. There is one more thing I do before going to bed. I crack open a "wheat germ oil" capsule and rub the oil on the hemmies. (Can get these capsules in HFS) Have done tons of research on what other people have done and the above things have helped me. Just try to tackle them right away when you feel them coming on.

Good luck.
Sharon

No but..... new
      #334999 - 08/20/08 12:35 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

I have to tell you Dorothy, it is one of my biggest worries when the "C" flares up - especially when I was preggo and right after the babies came - I had c-sections both times and was so plugged up from the drugs - those first BM's were the worst ever! I'm so sorry you're struggling w/this, I hope you get some relief soon.

#335010 - 08/20/08 02:36 PM
GaGa

Thank you sooooooooooooo much! It's embarassing, but I needed information. You know how your imagination runs wild and it's been about 5 years since my colonoscopy and am not anxious to repeat it yet. But, I know if I go in with these symptoms, that's what he'll say and I know in my heart, it just those stupid veins! I have tried the vaseline and it does help! I know I'm not getting enough exercise now. Since school started I'm working with students and scheduling at the computer all day and even forget to eat or go pee until I stand up! Thank you again for sharing with me! {{Hugs}} Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#335011 - 08/20/08 02:38 PM
GaGa

Thank you, Fen, I will buy some FiberCon at the drug store tomorrow. I really don't want to do stool softeners - too much cramping. I appreciate your response so much! - {{Hugs}}Dorothy

--------------------

beans? new
      #335028 - 08/20/08 04:19 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

I also eat about 3/4 cup of some sort of bean every day

Any particular type? Canned or homemade? And how do you fit it into you diet every day without having every dinner be beans? I need ideas on how to get more beans into my diet.

Can you post a sample daily menu? How many/what particular kinds of fruits and veggies do you usually eat every day?

Thanks so much

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: beans? new
      #335069 - 08/21/08 07:13 AM
sharond

Here is pretty much what I eat almost daily

Breakfast: oatmeal with 1/2 cup blueberries, l Tablespoon crushed almonds, 2 tsp acacia and rice milk. After this I have my 1/2 cup of coffee.

snack: cooked carrots, piece of fruit (pear or nectarine). I used to eat a lot of figs, but they started giving me problems. (Cannot do bananas and have to be careful with apples and grapes)

lunch: Ezekial bread sandwich with hummus, sprouts and spinach, piece of fruit

snack: smoothie with strawberries, raspberries, pineapple, (frozen if not fresh), 2 tsp acacia and 1 tablespoon ground flax and rice milk.

dinner: sometimes grilled chicken, sometimes fish, boiled or baked potatoes or rice or pasta. Some sort of vegetable like green beans, peas, broccoli, carrots. As far as the beans go, I will make a big batch of baked beans in my crock pot or used canned ones. I like baked the best or else refried beans from a can. I'll just put the beans over potatoes or rice. Else make burritos using refried or black beans on a flour tortilla. Else I'll just eat them as a side dish. I sometimes take a piece of bread and spread it thick with refried beans. I love beans and have come up with lots of different ways to fit them in.

Several months ago my GI told me to push my fiber grams up to 60 per day. I thought "no way"!!! I started adding lots of fiber and was crampy at first so I backed down and did it slowly...I now am at about 60 grams per day (probably 1/3 SF and 2/3 IF) and doing soooooo much better. That's where the beans started coming in......you can eat a small amount but get tons of fiber.

I snack on stuff like Quaker Crunchy Corn bran if I need to get some extra fiber. I will also throw in an extra fruit sometime during the day if needed. (I like to get about 8 servings of fruit/veggies per day)

I also drink TONS of water.

I must say at first I thought I could never eat this much fiber, but now several months into this I almost always have easy, complete bowel movements. I never feel hungry and I never have cravings for junkie stuff. In fact, my entire intestinal track has seemed to settle down.

Sharon

#335070 - 08/21/08 07:50 AM
Jordy

very helpful. Thanks! Your meals look fantastic and yummy!

But I still don't see how you get the beans into your diet, unless you are counting the hummus as beans...but that doesn't have much fiber at all. How much do you use? And you eat 2 pieces of this bread? You eat beans for dinner? But what about when you have chicken or fish?

I'm not sure what kind of beans I like. Maybe lentils? What are your favorites?

Thanks again. I really need help trying to get more beans into my diet. But if I eat chicken or fish for dinner with a veggie, how do I fit in the beans?

Oh, for your sandwhich do you use raw spinach?

Can you eat rice? So, in the fall, you only eat pears? with skin? and about how much fruit do you add to your smoothie, cereals?

Sorry so many questions...but this is what I think I need to try next! It doesn't seem to follow the EFI guidelines, though.

I wish I could do Acacia...but it just makes me more C and bloated, I think.

Thanks again.

--------------------

#335097 - 08/21/08 11:11 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

My girlfriend totally has to eat beans like everyday to keep things moving.She doesn't have IBS but she really notices a difference when she hasn't had beans(So does the whole county Shes pretty windy on a good day!)
She has actually started trying activia yogurt and she said at first it made her bloated but after two weeks she was doing great.They do say on the commercials to try it for two weeks so maybe.....
If you want to try beans come to our town this weekend.It's our annual Beanfest.
You got it!Beans everywhere.They started cooking them on Monday and will cook all week long.The smell is floating through town and it's forbidden to light a match after supper
We have a huge classic car show about 1200 cars and a local market through the streets with vendors from all over,entertainment all day long and a beer tent! At night they have a dance and that is usually where you see people you haven't seen all year.It's a blast.Going to miss it this year..going camping instead.
Good luck with the beans!

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#335114 - 08/21/08 02:45 PM
sharond

The hummus is mostly garbanzo beans, but I only eat about 2 spoonfuls on bread so I don't really count as a serving of beans. And, yes, I use a handful of fresh spinach along with the alfalfa sprouts. Recently found out how good sprouts are. A person could live off of sprouts, they have more protein than meat and are natural digestive enzymes, along with bone building. So I started growing my own sprouts with a sprouter right on the counter. I kind of have to squish everything in the Ezekial bread, but I manage.

I almost always fit my beans in either with dinner or as a snack sometime later (I try to eat dinner fairly early). For example. Tonight I'm having red potatoes with a scoop of baked beans. I'll mash up the potatoes and put the beans right on top. I do the same with rice (I do eat rice, but not a large portion). I make lots of burritos using a scoop of black beans and I also throw in a handful of fresh spinach for the crunch. I'll make cold pasta salad, throw in some chopped up zucchini and a can of red beans. How about Mexican pizza. I take pizza crust and instead of using pizza sause I spread a can of refried beans, then throw some black olives and diced tomatoes on top and bake. If we've gone out for dinner I'll come home later and have my "bean snack" I'll open a can of refried beans, heat a scoopful and have on a piece of sourdough toast. Or sometimes I'll just heat up a scoop of baked beans and eat alone. Another good , healthy snack is warm refried beans with baked tostido chips or pita bread stuffed with baked beans and topped with a mild salsa or chopped tomatoes or avacado. So in other words, I will always incorporate beans into the meal, eat as a side or have as a snack. Sometimes my meals make no sense at all, but they taste good. My favorites are baked beans....if I don't homemake them, Bushs are really good. Then my next favorite are refried from a can. My cupboard probably has 30 cans of different kinds of beans right now so it's really what I'm in the mood for.

I have lentils once in a while, but I prefer the taste of beans much better. I eat pears whenever they're available...but I don't use the canned....not enough fiber for me. I usually take the skin off, but if things are going pretty stable, I'll leave the skins on. I eat 1/2 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries with oatmeal. In my smoothies I put about 1/2 cup each of strawberries, raspberries, and pineapple. Now evertyhing is fresh, but I'll be using frozen stuff when the fresh stuff gets outrageously expensive and unavailable.

I followed the EFI strictly for several months and did not do well so I just started experimenting. I do follow some of the guidelines like having some SF for a base....(that's why I always throw in some Acacia with the smoothie). Or, if I'm going to have fruit for a snack, I'll eat a handful of cooked carrots first.

Here is another thing I do. I have a Black and Decker veggie/rice steamer. I buy the 5 lb bags of carrots and one day a week I peel and scrape all of these and pile them up in the steamer....steam for an hour. I stick them in the fridge and I'm good to go for about a week.....I can munch on these as a SF base before eating fruits.

Anyway, have been experimenting for almost a year and it took me months before it dawned on me I needed a whole lot more IF than I had been eating.

Didn't mean to write a book here, but I hope it can help even a little. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sharon

Sharond new
      #335119 - 08/21/08 03:56 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I miss beans so much I have tried hummus just small amounts horiible crampie gas so I quit. I do take bean-o before and eat with some sf. I love black beans and kindey beans I miss beans sald everyday. I have tried lentils just small amounts mashed once or twice and everything was ok I think it was to small to matter I am afraid to up the portion on it don't want cramps or d. I do not eat engouh meals that I can put beans into.I do miss refried beans as well Yum any suggestions?
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

Re: Sharond new
      #335121 - 08/21/08 04:26 PM
sharond

Emmasmom,
There is a new pasta on the market called Ronzoni SmnarTaste....got it at the local grocery store. It has 6 grams of fiber per serving (I'm assuming since pasta is SF, this is probably all SF) and fortified with calcium. Maybe you could try mixing this with a small amount of red beans or kidney beans?? If eating cold, add a little dressing or olive oil or you could even make it hot and add some ground white turkey breast. Or how about a very thin layer of refried beans on sourdough bread. Maybe you could start by eating a hefty amount of SF and a very small amount of bean (like 1/2 tsp) for a week every day and see how you do. If you're okay, then the next week make it 1 tsp of bean and so on. I would think that if you start with tiny, tiny amounts every day with a good SF base, you're body would adjust. When I first started with upping my bean intake I had tons of gas, but now my body is used to it so I'm okay. For me, beans are a major source of my protein and I don't know what I'd do without them.

Good Luck and hopefully you can get these back in your diet.
Sharon

thank you so much! new
      #335129 - 08/21/08 06:21 PM
Jordy

this really gives me some wonderful things to try. The EFI diet just isn't gonna work for no matter how hard I try. I need the confidence to "experiment".

ONe more question for now.....how do you make beans in a crockpot!

I hope you continue to post. This has been very very helpful!

They make sprouters? I don't even know what a sprout is...or how much to use. Just a sprinkle?

--------------------

#335136 - 08/21/08 07:38 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

When you say sprouts do you mean bean sprouts?Like you use in stir fry?

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Re: sprouting new
      #335145 - 08/22/08 07:04 AM
sharond

There are many different ways to sprout, but they are all VERY easy. I got my sprouter at the HFS for about $30.00. Some sprouters are quite expensive, but you don't need anything elaborate. They also sell a variety of different seeds. The first seeds I got were a sandwich mix (radish, clover and alfalfa sprouts), however I'm going to stick with alfalfa only in the future as they are my favorite. And yes, Dragonfly, you can do bean sprouts. My sprouter is kind of like a tray on top of another tray. I spread 1 tablespoon of sprouts on top tray and pour water over 2 times per day. The water runs down to tray below. About five days you have a full tray of beautiful sprouts. I wash and put in refrig....have found they stay fresh for maybe 4 days. In the meantime I'm sprouting a new batch. If you were to buy one, I would first go to your local HFS to see if they carry. If they do, they can take out of box and show you how it works. Some people sprout things in jars with filtered covers. The real hassel with jars is that you have to take the sprouts out 2 times per day and wash. When you use the jar method you should wash with citric acid to keep out bacteria. I like the tray concept much better...no washing...just pouring water over them. Also make sure you get good organic seed from HFS or they may not sprout good. Here are a couple of websites just for some ideas:

nextag.com/sprouter

wheatgrasskits.com/sproutingkits.htm

All sprouters come with instructions.

As for beans in a crockpot I do it the easy way by using all canned. These always go over as a big hit.

In a frypan with a little olive oil I fry one chopped up onion and a couple cloves of diced garlic. Transfer to crockpot.

In crockpot I then add 2 large cans (30-32 oz) Bushs baked beans, a couple cans (14 oz) of kidney beans, couple cans (14 oz) of chili beans, couple cans (14 oz) of butter beans and a couple can of pinto beans. If there is still room in the crock pot I throw in a few more cans of whatever I have. However, always drain the cans or it will be too soupy. I then put in about 1/3 cup ketchup, 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup BBQ sauce (you can adjust ketchup, sugar and bbq sauce to your own personal taste adding more or less).

Mix everything up and cook on low all day. Then I stick in fridge and just take a scoop out whenever. It gets better and better every day as it sits there. Doesn't last too long around here because my DH loves it and eats it like candy.

I'll tell you Jordy, I followed the EFI diet diligently for months and was just not doing better so I had to make some changes. At first I didn't stray far from the diet but did just little things to see how I felt. I just continued to experiment in small stages. I still pretty much keep a SF base. I haven't experimented with spicy foods yet...way too afraid to try that yet. I had not had dairy for months and months...I am now eating about 1/3 cup Stonyfield Farm plain yogurt in my smoothie and I sprinkle a small amount of parmasean cheese on pasta. When you experiment, just do it in very small amounts. Two things I never do is let myself get hungry or never overeat...I eat every 2.5 hours or so.

Best wishes,
Sharon

Re: Sharond new
      #335153 - 08/22/08 11:19 AM
emmasmom

is there any bean I should start with first?
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

Re: Emmasmom new
      #335154 - 08/22/08 12:45 PM
sharond

I'm not really sure...it should be one that you really like...I mean, if it doesn't sit well with you it will at least have tasted good. I think I would start with one that's already mashed up like refried. Maybe take a teaspoon and spread it on sourdough or a flour tortilla..that way you will have a good SF base. If it goes well, continue doing it for several days and then bump up the amount to a tablespoon. If things are okay with refried then you may want to try another, but I would again start with a small amount because some of the skins on beans (like kidney) are kind of hard and may be rougher on your intestines. If you can tolerate them and your body gets used to them, you can start increasing the amount after a while....kind of like increasing the acacia dosage. If you eat too many at first, you'll have too much discomfort and gas.

Good luck and I hope this works for you 'cuz they're so tasty and good for you. Let me know how it goes.

Sharon

Re: sprouting-a few more question new
      #335155 - 08/22/08 01:09 PM
Jordy

Can you buy sprouts? How much do you use on a sandwhich?

also, you don't purree your beans before you eat? Just eat them whole? I'm still trying to figure out how to eat beans if I decide I want chicken or fish for dinner.
I wonder how log this would stay safe to eat, since it's only me. UGH, I just want to stinking eat without thought!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm really scared to start experimenting...after years of eating EFI it is very difficult for me to "break a rule". But I need something that's gonna work for my body.

I can't take Acacia (I don't think) so that puts a problem in there with getting as SF base. Yet, you eat eat pears and snacks without one. Hmmmm...how much acacia do you take in a day? Just the amount listed in your response....the 2 tsp two times a day?

I would be so scared to just eat beans by themselves! Yet, I have read that beans are a great source for SF!

Thanks so much sharon. OMG, I thought there was only one type of sprout! Bean!
Quote:

. I spread 1 tablespoon of sprouts on top tray and pour water over 2 times per day

did you mean you spread 1 T of the seeds on top tray?

what happens if you eat a banana or an apple?

You have been so helpful. Thank you for spending so much time with me!

--------------------

Re: Jordy new
      #335159 - 08/22/08 02:45 PM
sharond

Yep....I meant 1 tablespoon of SEEDS (not sprouts) on top tray.

I know for sure you can buy bean sprouts and alfalfa sprouts in almost all grocery stores in the produce department. You can use bean sprouts in stir frys or salads. They are usually in bulk and you purchase as many as you are going to use because they do not last very long. Alfalfa sprouts are usually in a small container and cost anywhere from $1.49 and up for a small amount. I probably use about 1/2 cup in a sandwich. Buy some next time you shop and see how you like them. If you can't find them, ask a produce person.

The only kind of purreed bean I eat would be the refried. Otherwise I just take a scoop of (usually baked), put in a bowl, heat and have with my meal or mixed in with rice. I think in one of your posts you said you cannot eat rice??? How about pasta??? For example, today I made a cold pasta salad using penne pasta (which is your SF base), some cut up zuchini, a cup of frozen peas and a can of drained red beans and tossed with italian dressing. (You can use any dressing you like). I would serve this with chicken or fish. Many times with chicken or fish I have baked potatoes. I slice them open, mash them up with a fork and then put baked beans on top. You could even mash the beans with your fork if you want. This is kind of like a stuffed potato. Also, beans are a combination of both SF and IF fiber. The skin is the IF part. Kidney beans, garbanzo and lima beans have fairly tough skin so in your case, take caution with those two. (garbanzo okay in hummus 'cuz they are purreed).

I sometimes have a few open cans of beans in the fridge for at least a week. I open the can, take out what I need, and then put plastic wrap over the top. I have made really large pasta salads, put in fridge and eaten off of it for a week. I like making stuff in large bulk so I can just open the fridge and grab something healthy fast. So whatever I make usually lasts a week and I know beans last for at least that long.

As far as the acacia fiber I put 2 tsp in my oatmeal in the AM and 2 tsp in my afternoon smoothie. If I don't have a smoothie, I'll have the 2 tsp in a glass of water mid afternoon and that's pretty much it. Oh, except if we are going out for dinner, I'll have another 2 tsp in water right before we leave.

With pears, if I don't peel, I will have a handful of cooked carrots (SF) or a slice of sourdough bread before I eat. If I peel the pear it doesn't really matter, since once the peelings are off, it's all SF anyway.

Bananas sometimes constipate me so I don't want to chance it and sometimes I get crampy from apples, but I do eat applesauce. Haven't had oranges or grapefruits for a very long time. Kind of scared to try them. I just started with grapes again a week ago and seem to be okay. I used to eat tons of them...Now I eat only a few after something SF. I munch on pretzels or baked tostidos too.

Also, for a long time I wouldn't eat anything with whole wheat but I've also added that back in my diet. It took me a long time to realize that my body did not like a high SF diet. Once I started experimenting with more IF I started feeling so much better. You have to make sure you are drinking tons of water though.

I just attached a website for you to look at regarding alfalfa sprouts. A few things that really drew my attention was how they are natural enzymes and help with the digestion process.

http://www.nurtureyourown.com/Sprouts/19/10-great-benefits-to-eating-alfalfa-sprouts/

I think that covers everything. Don't ever hesitate to ask questions. We're all trying to find our own way with these digestive issues. Don't be afraid to experiment....just do it in very small amounts. I was really scared to try the yogurt, so I started with just a spoonful. Now I use 1/3 cup almost every day and will probably stay right where I'm at. Even though the EFI did not work 100% for me, I still use many of the guidelines and have gotten so many ideas from this website.

Take Care.
Sharon

1/2 teaspoon of beans new
      #335365 - 08/27/08 07:24 PM
emmasmom

So I tried this on sunday and put them in a tortilla shell and I took some bean-o and I was fine for a while then I got gassie and some bloat I didn't feel good that night but I don't think it was the beans I think it was something else I ate. I was gassie the next day but it went away as the day went on I haven't tried them since been to scared to since I didn't feel good. But boy do I miss them!
emmamsom
ibs-c gas

Re: Emmasmom new
      #335450 - 08/30/08 06:41 AM
sharond

Boy, it's hard to believe that such a small amount would cause problems..sometimes I overdo it and get gassy but I know I've overdone it. I love brussel sprouts and haven't eaten for a very long time. So a few nights ago I tried a few and was I sorry the next day!!! I threw the rest of the bag out!!!

Sharon

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 217 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6434

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review