All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
what is your job?
      #334794 - 08/18/08 01:33 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Just wondering what you all do for a job or "career". Do you like it? Anything you wish you had done differently?

I love to get to know people! I have no clue what most of you do! Is it IBS condusive?

Oh, feel free to add your college major too, if you have one!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: what is your job? new
      #334797 - 08/18/08 01:37 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Nurse,accountant,housekeeper,personal shopper,chef(thats pushing it!) handywoman,peacekeeper,childcare worker,therapist,chauffer,professional gamer,...
in other words...mom.

I always wanted to be a mom first and was planning on going back to school when my kids were grown up .Have a few years to go yet but if this stupid IBS doesn't go away.....schools out.Besides I'd rather be a kept woman.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#334814 - 08/18/08 07:49 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I have a degree in French translation and did some work with it as an insurance claims rep for 10 years. TOO stressful!

I'm a corporate legal assistant now (for 10 months)working for a large firm (here 12 lawyers is large) and I really enjoy it. I still have stressful days and my tum goes array. But I have only had 1 attack at work and my boss let me go home (it was a BAD attack) without any question or problem. If my ibs was as bad as it was in '06 I'm sure my boss would still be as understanding as she is now and lets me leave early or come in late (mostly because of my chronic migraines). Not everyone in my firm has such a great boss, but I really lucked out.

In retrospect, I should have gone to trade school though - I enjoy being outside and workin with my hands too - maybe a carpenter or something! Or anything that pays more than this!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#334823 - 08/19/08 04:27 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I am a counselor. I work for a not-for-profit agency that works to prevent alcohol and substance abuse. I go into the schools and do prevention counseling with kids from K-12. It's sad and it's stressful - many of the kids I work with have parents who are alcohol/substance abusers, which does not make for a good home life, and my kids are really struggling.

It's stressful and it definitely affects my tummy and while I love feeling like I'm making a difference, I think I may be ready for a change - I've been working with at-risk kids for a number of years now, and it's making me very tired.

I'd love to hear what everybody else does, maybe I'll get some ideas!

--------------------
IBS-C

#334825 - 08/19/08 05:02 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

These days, I am an executive assistant at a growing retirement community. Prior to that, I spent nine years working in historic house museums. I left because of budget cuts and personalities.

When my IBS was bad, things were a little dicey giving museum tours and doing presentations. Now I have a less stressful job in a much more positive environment and have made peace with the fact I may not get paid to work in a museum ever again.

I have a BA in anthropology and an MS in historic preservation.

#334829 - 08/19/08 05:29 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

Snorkie, I'd like to do something similar to what you're doing - I'd like to not be responsible for making such serious decisions - it's too hard on my tum!

I have a BA in Psychology and a Master's in School Counseling - at this point in my life, I think I'd be ok not using either one of those degrees

--------------------
IBS-C

#334834 - 08/19/08 07:08 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

n

#334838 - 08/19/08 07:54 AM
gibbo69olds

Reged: 08/14/08
Loc: MA, United States

I am a programmer for an HVAC controls company, we keep all the buildings you work in comfortable. I have been here almost a year with very little stress. I get to listen to the howard stern show all day long and no one bothers me. I am also a lanlord, I own two three family houses, six units total, and am looking for more. I would love to be a real estate expert full time. I can fix anything. I am going to throw in hobbies to because that is what really relaxes me, classic cars (I have a 69 Olds cutlass convertable), boats, snowmobiles, sports (football (Da Bears) and baseball (NY Yanks!!))and vacationing. Leaving next week for OBX!! I like my job just wish I was making as much as I did at my first job. Heck of a lot more stressful there though.

what do you folks do in your free time?

By the way, started this diet on Sunday and have been feeling surprisingly awesome. If this keeps up I am not sure if I would ever want to go back to my old ways. I will miss drinking with the boys though.

Re: It's a stressful life I think! new
      #334849 - 08/19/08 08:54 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

It seems to me that stress is a major factor and common denominator in all our our lives.That's why I quit my job.I enjoyed it but my boss was stupid.Really stupid and I couldn't handle it anymore.

It may not be possible for everyone to do but don't you think that IBS wouldn't be such an issue if we could all do what we really love and not have to be stressed out by other people in our work environment.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#334859 - 08/19/08 10:10 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

In my free time, I fence in the SCA, game with my husband & friends, read, and watch movies. Oh, and exercise. After six years, I still marvel at the fact I now voluntarily exercise.

I never realize how much stress actually does mess me up until I am out of a situation and feel better. I am less stressed since I started my current job.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1425 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6677

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review