All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Insomnia
      #334757 - 08/18/08 09:55 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I feel horrible today! I'm so depressed, it's awful. I snapped awake at 2am, and stared at the ceiling all night, trying to will myself back to sleep.

Insomnia sucka!!

My BF came home for lunch and he noticed something was up. I am not my normal self. I'm going through something so dark today, I can't explain it. I'm just so down. I feel like I'll never get happy again.

Arg! I know this is chemical... I mean, I get it that this is a function of horrible diet lately (been skipping almost all meals for the last 2 weeks) and no sleep.

Blah!! Anyone got something to cheer me up?? Am I suffering post-Phelps depression?? This sucks!!

~nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Insomnia new
      #334762 - 08/18/08 10:59 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

You poor thing! Insomnia is absolutely the worst!!

Just out of curiosity, why haven't you eaten much lately? I know an empty stomach often causes me to have nausea, and nausea will certainly keep me awake. Not eating very well might have something to do with your inability to sleep. And your inability to sleep certainly will have an effect on your mood - what a vicious cycle you're caught in!

Not to try and diagnose you over the internet without all of the details, but have you felt down for a long period of time? Depression can wreak havoc with our sleep as well, either making us sleep too much or not nearly enough.

--------------------
IBS-C

#334764 - 08/18/08 11:17 AM
TG

Reged: 06/04/08

Insomnia is a horrible thing! My sleeping trouble usually comes when I switch medication (or have IBS flares). Sometimes I just try to watch bad T.V. or soft music and it helps me to at least doze. A few people have said that warm showers or lavender scents help.

And if not, then morning comes and I make baggy eyes my fashion statement

I have to agree with Fen, though. Eating is important, so even if the idea makes you nauseous, see if you can just eat a slice of bread or a handful of rice.

Good luck, Nelly, and do something fun for yourself today!

T.G.
Digest This Comic! - The Lighter Side of Chronic Pain/Inflammation

P.S. -
One thing I like to do is throw an official "pity party" during a particularly bad spell. I get people over and we complain about crappy things that are/have happened and find ways to laugh about it.

#334773 - 08/18/08 12:27 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I hear I have been in the same funk for the last month I think. I just feel like theres no light at the end of the tunnel. I know part of my depression is I eat the same old crap day after day. Maybe thats part of yours. Try doing something like playing a game or just writing. hth. I do know were you are though I am there. ((hugs))
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

Can't sleep, can't eat new
      #334774 - 08/18/08 12:36 PM
Nelly

I fit 100% every diagnostic test for depression. In the past I've been on anti-depressants and they haven't worked. Some of them have made me suicidal. I don't take them anymore.

The only thing that's worked for my depression is pain medication. I have pain-predominant IBS-D, and when the pain has been taken out of the equation, the depression lifts, I can eat without anxiety and all the fear goes away.

When I become insomniac, it messes everything up and I get thrown back into fear, anxiety, not eating. Despair, really.

For the last 2 weeks I eat maybe 4 bites a day. Also, for the last 6 weeks, I've left my apartment twice. It's definitely getting worse.

I tried to break the pain-anxiety-insomnia-not eating cycle by taking more, then MORE of my pain medicines. Then more of my anxiety stuff. My appetite returned for a couple days, I got hungry, but then wasn't able to eat so much because I'd get full so fast.

Then I ran low of all my medicines and extinguished all outlets of "extra possible stuff" I could take, and now I'm scared to call my doctor because #1) I'm a mess to look at now (pale, gaunt), and #2) I'm afraid he'll take me off everything and try the bogus A/D route again (Very Bad).

I'm in despair and I'm afraid to act. Lonely? Have I mentioned Lonely? I'm that too, and putting up a Very Brave (Translucent) Front for my dear boyfriend, who pays my bills, lets me be in my room, and brings me lunch and a smile, and just wants to know how I'm feeling.

Well, I'm feeling very unlovable at the moment. I wish everything would work right, so I can get back to eating, feeling less anxious, and please! sleeping.

Then I could look my BF in the eye occasionally when I lie to him that "everything's great, I'm doing so much better now."

~nelly~

Re: Can't sleep, can't eat new
      #334775 - 08/18/08 12:45 PM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

You don't need to share if it makes you uncomfortable, but I'm just curious what meds you've tried in the past. I'm not a doctor, but I am a counselor, so I have a tiny bit of knowledge about psychotropic meds.

One other thing to keep in mind, is that if you're misdiagnosed, antidepressants can make things much much worse. Specifically, if you have Bipolar Disorder and are prescribed an antidepressant, it can cause lots of problems, including an increased risk of suicide.

In the past, did you receive your meds from your family doctor or from a psychiatrist? Have you seen a counselor?

One more thing to maybe keep in mind - different people have differing opinions on this, so keep in mind that I'm not trying to push you one way or another. You mentioned that your boyfriend is paying your bills - I assume this is because you are unable to work (or work enough). Have you thought about applying for SSI? IBS alone does not usually qualify a person, but IBS along with a diagnosed mental disorder usually does qualify someone. I totally understand and respect those who do not want to live off of the government, but on the other hand it might help you feel more independent and not so reliant on your boyfriend. Just a thought...

--------------------
IBS-C

Tunnel people new
      #334781 - 08/18/08 12:52 PM
Nelly

Are you in this tunnel with me too? Maybe I need a bigger candle!

We need another person. Maybe with a flashlight.

~nelly~

I would love a pitty party! new
      #334784 - 08/18/08 12:58 PM
Nelly

Love having pity parties, love throwing them! Anyone wants to pity, come to this post and let's do the virtual pity thing!

I'll make the drinks. They're called "Tropical Depressions." Some rum, some grenadine and orange, and toss in a couple pills of prozac!

Come one come all! Can't sleep? We can go all night!

~nelly~

Re: Can't sleep, can't eat new
      #334786 - 08/18/08 01:08 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Hey I'm so sorry to hear you are having such a hard time.
Depression is so tough.I have tried no presription drugs however I have tried St Johns Wort .It will help with mild depression, anxiety AND insomnia.I was stuck in my house too
for more than a year we rarely went anywhere do to my IBSd and I couldn't sleep I was crying all the time Oh and afraid to go to the docs.My father inlaw suggested St Johns wort and I asked the pharmacist who was also trained in herbals and she told me to take 4 a day for two weeks then taper off each week until just one a day.
It was a miracle for me.I was tired at first and had NO problem sleeping and all of a sudden, my anxiety was gone.I eventually stopped with them but in the winter I find I have to take them a bit more.I think tey are way safer than the drugs docs give you.Maybe you could try them and see if they help at all.

We've all been depressed about the way our lives have turned out and why we have to deal with IBS but we are all different and are at different levels in this misery.Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it cause we can all help.
Good luck I hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Past meds, present meds new
      #334793 - 08/18/08 01:28 PM
Nelly

A/Ds (Past Medicine):

Prozac, paxil, Wellbutrin, and Zoloft (worst, made me suicidal).

I'd never take them again because I don't want to put my family through my suicidal depression again. I was running out of excuses for hiding my bloody arms from my BF anyway!

All of the a/ds made me anxious, insomniac, and in the morning would turn me into a houseplant.

And I have reactions to a/ds. Not all people become suicidal, but for those who do it is very scary. Currently there is a push to stop prescribing these drugs to teenagers because of the suicidal side effects. It'd be a shame to the have legislation imposing even more restrictions on helpful drugs, but I'm glad somebody's sticking up for these children who are otherwise at the mercy of hapless parents and doctors who would rather prescribe a pill than listen to the child. There, I said that.
----------------
The Very Last a/d I Tried:

I took Nortriptyline for a few weeks, but not at the prescribed AD strength, which is 175-300mgs. At that higher dose, reported symptoms include anxiety, nervousness, weight gain (especially in breast size for some reason!), and sleeplessness.

Since I take them for insomnia, I only take 25mgs at bedtime, to help me sleep and not clench my jaw or kick myself awake, and help with my fibro when I got up. I noticed a decrease in my morning D attacks, and inability to know if I were awake or asleep.

AND I turned into a houseplant-- spacey and less on the creative/personable side as well, sorta of staring at the wall for 3 or 4 hours after waking. Not compatible with quality of life. I Don't take any a/ds ANY MORE.

--------------------------------------------
MEDICATIONS I TAKE TODAY:
--------------------------------------------

Pain Medications:
Tylenol #2 for IBS-D attacks, and as preventatives before eating. Vicodin for Fibromyalgia pain.

Sleep Medications:
Soma for back spasms, Baclofen for RLS and tossing and turning, Ambien to fall asleep.

Anxiety Medication:
Ativan (Lorazepam) 1 mg, 2ce a day for daytime anxiety as needed. Works for sleep too.

IBS-D Medications:
Imodium, 3 at rest and 3 when I wake, 2 before meals, as preventative. Donnatal and oral Hyoscyamine for muscle spasms great as a preventative or for rescue after.

That is the most complete list of things I'm on right now.

~nelly~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3024 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6358

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review