All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anyone ever take Nexium?
      #332659 - 07/17/08 11:02 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I just love this website, it's like having all these GFs to discuss life w/ My GI dr. put me on Nexium several yrs. ago for gastritis, esophogitis and reflux/GERD...I've taken it off and on since then. However, a friend sent me an e-mail w/ an article from MSNBC that listed 8 drugs doctors do not take themselves - of course Nexium is one of them. So, no more Nexium for me... any suggestions/advice...back to Zantac/Pepcid...? I have GERD most every day. Thanks!

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone ever take Nexium? new
      #332672 - 07/17/08 12:47 PM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

I have GERD and Nexium was great for me for awhile but I had to quit taking it a couple of years ago because it gave me horrible abdominal pain (I felt fine within a couple of weeks after stopping it).

I took Prilosec for awhile, then stepped down to Zantac (which seems to have fewer side effects overall). At first the "rebound" reflux was horrendous, but now I've noticed the longer I've been off the PPI's (the class of drugs including Nexium and Prilosec), the better it gets. Now I get by on the Zantac alone. I hope to get off that too, eventually.

If only the IBS were dealt with as easily...

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#332676 - 07/17/08 12:58 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Hey GaGa!

Yep. I tried Nexium once. Gave me terrible abdominal cramps! I have GERD too, and I take Zegerid. It's new, and it seems to be working great for me so far! I have been on it for about 3 weeks. I really like it - other than the fact that it is sooooo expensive. It's $100/month. Whew!!

Before my Doctor started me on Zegerid, though...I was taking OTC Prilosec and it worked for me for several years. Have you tried that? My Doctor even said that if I really like the Prilosec, I could take 2 of them at a time (40mg), instead of the OTC (20mg) dose. Maybe you could try that. It's just really important that you take it on an empty stomach. I always took it first thing in the AM when I woke up, then waited 30minutes to eat. Worked great that way.

Good Luck!

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

#332696 - 07/17/08 01:55 PM
GaGa

Unfortunately, Prilosec was also one of the drugs listed in that report, along with Nexium. I've got a call in to my dr. now to see about suggestions. Thanks so much for the reply.

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#332697 - 07/17/08 01:58 PM
GaGa

"Ain't it the truth!" I'm trying Zantac right now and you are so right, since stopping the Nexium a couple of days ago, I've never had so much reflux. So, I'm going to hope to be like you and just get through this phase and maybe the Zantac will kick back in. I'm hearing it's a problem with the PPI's and "possible" side-effects.

--------------------

#332699 - 07/17/08 03:16 PM
als2111

Reged: 03/30/08

I take nexium and have now for two+ years and it has worked great for me. I am a nurse and we prescribe it to even some of our teenagers. I am curious what the article said as far as reasons Dr's don't take this meds.

#332707 - 07/17/08 03:56 PM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Uh Oh. What did it say about Prilosec? I was on it for about 3 years. Should I be worried?

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

#332774 - 07/18/08 08:22 PM
GaGa

I've been on it probably 4+ years after an endoscopy indicated esophogitis and gastritis + GERD. After yrs. of Zantac/Pepcid/etc., Nexium has been a lifesaver. A friend told me about this article on MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24777955/page/2/
A short term study linked them "likely" to possible heart problems and also loss of bone mass causing fractures, but I also looked up the FDA study: http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/early_comm/omeprazole_esomepazole_update.htm and they have found no conclusive evidence. My dr. said they would have pulled it if this were true. I've tried to go back to Zantac, but the GERD is so bad, it's burning my esophogus, even eating just basic SF stuff, so back to Nexium to me for now. I may try it just every other day.???

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4994 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1969

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review