All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
pregnancy, nursing, and taking Peppermint Oil Capsules
      #332125 - 07/08/08 08:44 AM
MelissaW

Reged: 02/27/07

I have IBS with constipation, bloating, pain, and gas. I take the Acacia fiber, and it works wonders for the constipation and greatly reduces the bloating, pain, and gas. However, I do still occasionally have those symptoms even though I watch what I eat. I want to try the Peppermint Oil Capsules, but my husband is worried. I am nursing our 7-month-old son and my husband says he read online somewhere that women who are pregnant or nursing shouldn't take the Peppermint Oil Capsules. Is that true? Can I take the capsules without harming my nursing son? When we get pregnant again, can I take the capsules while pregnant? Are there side effects or risks? If so, what are they? Thanks for your help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: pregnancy, nursing, and taking Peppermint Oil Capsules new
      #332129 - 07/08/08 10:08 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

There is a link on the home page about pregnancy. I think that will have some info. I'm no expert, but I stopped drinking peppermint tea when I got pg. It is relaxing, so it could make your uterus relax too much and contract or something. But I haven't heard anything about peppermint and nursing. I'd check Heather's pg info and check with your doctor. I am nursing a 12 week old. I haven't added peppermint tea back into my diet yet, but it's just b/c I hardly ever drink tea anymore.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#332131 - 07/08/08 10:30 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

The other reason I wouldn't suggest taking peppermint while you're pregnant is because it can trigger heartburn and indigestion. Even if you didn't suffer from it during your first pregnancy, the peppermint could trigger it for you in your second. I tried them before I was pregnant, and they gave me such bad indigestion, I had to go on a prescription to get rid of it! So there's no way I'd touch them while pregnant.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#332132 - 07/08/08 11:07 AM
rstephens

Reged: 02/19/08

I have been involved with La Leche League International for the past 5 years and can tell you that in fact peppermint oil is known to decrease your milk supply therefore it is not recommended.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 783 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1462

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review