All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Please help...so sick and at the end of my rope
      #331812 - 06/30/08 06:40 PM
Mandie

Reged: 06/30/08

I am looking for any advice I can get. I don't even know what to do about my health anymore. A year and a half ago, I was diagnosed with endometriosis, and long before that, I was diagnosed with IBS. I have symptoms every single day...bloating, gas, the whole constipation/diarrhea cycle...and my symptoms follow my menstrual cycle too, so at times they're way worse than others. I am overweight and trying to lose weight, but it is almost impossible to lose weight with the symptoms I have. Healthy foods like fruits, nuts, grains and vegetables give me horrible gas, and processed foods are even worse. The weird gas sensations make me feel hungry even when I'm not, and sometimes the only way I can get it to stop is to just stuff myself full of food to stop the gnawing sensation of all that air moving around. I have a wheat sensitivity, which I think might be causing some of my problems. The recommendations for what to eat with IBS and what to eat with endo conflict with each other. I think Heather recommends soluble fiber like white bread and pasta, but my endo makes me sensitive to those items as well. Between the IBS and endo, I should omit these things from my diet: flour, gluten, dairy, meat, eggs, fat, chocolate, caffeine, processed foods. The things I *should* eat, like beans and vegetables, make me feel horrible, even in small doses. Basically, if I want to not feel sick, I can probably eat white rice and drink water. I feel so hopeless that I'll ever regain my health and feel good. I can't imagine going a whole day without symptoms, let alone any longer. Honestly, I'm prepared to throw away all the food I like and just eat whatever it takes to get better...if only someone could tell me what that is. I don't even know where to turn or who to ask...doctors know nothing, they throw fiber pills at me, which make the problem worse. Self-diagnosing has only led to more frustration and sickness. I am so desperate. Has anyone else ever dealt with both of these diseases together? What can I do?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please help...so sick and at the end of my rope new
      #331817 - 06/30/08 08:38 PM
alyssum

Reged: 06/01/08
Loc: Ohio

Mandie,
Have they tested you for celiac disease?
If you have not been tested for it, do not stop eating wheat/gluten foods. As this can produce a false negative. There are two ways to test for Celiac. 1) a blood test & 2) a biopsy. From what I am told, most doctors (including mine) do not rely on one test, but rather both to diagnose Celiac Disease.

I am very new to my IBS diagnosis, but not new to all of the symptoms. I've known for many years, what a few of my triggers were.

Between following Heather's diet plan and taking her fiber/tummy tamer's capsules, I have been able to control a lot of my symptoms for 6+ weeks now. Some lapses in symptoms, were directly related to not following both the diet and the supplements.

That said, until you are sure of what your full diagnosis/diagnoses are, it is very hard to procede.

I know that it isn't much, but I hope any of this helps!
Good Luck!

--------------------
"Learn to write your hurts in the sand and your benefits in stone . . ."
IBS-A, predominantly D, Gas & bloating.
Chronic Migraines

#331838 - 07/01/08 07:56 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

For a lot of people, the more you eat things like beans and soy, the more your body will learn to process them and break them down better, without all the bloat and gas. So, maybe try some rice with just a spoonful of beans, do that for a week and than increase to spoonfuls of beans and see if that works. Also experiment with different types of beans. Have you tried using beano when you eat? I find that Rolaids Multi Symptom antacid & gas really helps with that trapped gas feeling.

Check out the fitness board, there are some gentle yoga moves that also help get the gas out.

Remember Heathers diet is a guideline, everyone responds differently and sometimes it takes a while to figure out what your food tolerances are. This can take some time and be very frustrating.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#331856 - 07/01/08 10:47 AM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Great words of encouragement, Michele!
She is right. Everyone's body is different. Your body may just be adjusting to a different diet. It may take time. I know how frustrating it can be!

Also, have you tried giving up sugar?? Sometimes, if my system is already messed up, it can be a trigger.

Good luck...

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3293 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1497

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review