All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New Gastro Doc
      #330483 - 06/01/08 06:59 PM
Valerie A.

Reged: 11/08/05

I'm a bit anxious about seeing a new gastro doctor tomorrow. I haven't seen a gastro doctor since my old one moved out of state, 2 years ago.. Time sure does fly.. I've been putting it off.. but lately have been passing blood clots with BMs, I guess it's time to go get checked out again.. I'm pretty anxious...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New Gastro Doc new
      #330485 - 06/01/08 07:03 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Wishing you all the best for your dr's appt tomorrow!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Re: New Gastro Doc -- tunnel vision? new
      #330508 - 06/02/08 04:49 PM
Valerie A.

I went to today's appointment with a general sense of, "yeah, I know I have IBS and there's nothing you can do for me. I'm just here to establish you as a GI doc, in case I have major issues. Thanks, nice meeting."
The guy was average for bed-side manner. He didn't get into asking me all kinds of questions and the like. I gave him a copy of procedures done in 2006. He skimmed over those and said "you don't have IBS, you have non-specific colitis. This inflammation in your colon is not IBS." He felt around on my tummy.. I had several tender spots when he pushed. He sat me up, said he'd like to do colonoscopy, the colitis may have gotten worse.. causing the bloody BM's and blood clots.. I figured he'd want to repeat colonoscopy test, but didn't suspect his initial thought would be colitis. This guy specializes in colitis... the last GI guy in 2006 specializes in weight-loss and bile acid malabsorption.. he said I had bile acid malabsorption and a phobia of vomitting (pretty much all in my head). The GI guy before that said typical "you need more fiber."
Do they each have tunnel vision? In a sense they focus is on one "diagnosis" for all (one-size fits all).
Okay, so if the inflammation in my colon was non-specified colitis, wouldn't the other GI guys have diagnosed me with that, instead of pretty much blowing me off??? Why didn't they give me something for the inflammation? an antibiotic or sterroid of some kind???
Is all/any inflammation in the large intestine considered colitis?
I don't get it.

#330510 - 06/02/08 05:23 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Sorry to hear you're getting mixed messages from your dr. If you are having trouble though, it is probably better to have the colonoscopy to confirm his colitis suspicion. Perhaps your last GI didn't read the results correctly and misdiagnosed you. It has happened unfortunately.

Hugs!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#330514 - 06/02/08 06:21 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

By the way, I love the song you list in your signature. One of my favorites. As for your diagnosis, it is good you are getting another scope done. The doc probably doesn't want to give you anything until he can get a clear picture without you having had any meds to mask the symptoms. As for the antibiotics, I'd be careful taking those, unless your doc can guarantee they will help you. They can stir up a lot of gut issues, and may even make your symptoms much worse. I'd ask your doc about a mesalamine enema, like Rowasa, depending on what he finds with the scope. This is usually for rectal inflammation and has helped a lot of people with their bleeding and inflammation. Asacol is another mesalamine drug, but for further up the colon. You will have to wait to see, I guess, if you do have colitis. Sounds like you could to me. That's how mine started and they gave me the same diagnosis before it became UC. Some couldn't find anything wrong with me. If you do have colitis, you may wish to begin an experimental elimination diet to get your symptoms under control. That was the only thing that helped me, even when the doctors told me diet didn't have any effect on my symptoms. They don't know everything. It's strict at first, but it beats having the symptoms. Good luck with your procedure. Let us know how you make out.

Kim

Re: New Gastro Doc new
      #330526 - 06/03/08 06:13 AM
Valerie A.

I am going to follow Heather's diet more strictly than I have in the past... I ordered some more acacia.
Last night I had to sleep with heating pad on my tummy after spending 20 minutes on toilet with D.

Thank you for being here and giving me some encouragement. It means a lot to me that everyone here understands what I'm going through.
Trying to learn how to be good to myself. Trying to take it one day at a time.

--Val

#330625 - 06/04/08 09:14 PM
TG

Reged: 06/04/08

Hello, I'm new to posting on this board but I've been to this site many times for help. Initially, I was just too shy to talk about dealing with chronic inflammation, even around friends.

As for the docs, this is why it's always important to get a second opinion. It took me forever to find a GI that was interested in figuring out the cause of my inflammation.

Anyway, I hope that things are going much more smoothly for you!

~ T.G.

Digest This Comic! : a place for humor & abdomen-dwelling puffer fish

#330787 - 06/08/08 11:57 AM
fancymom

Reged: 09/17/07
Loc: SC

Valerie, Valerie, Valerie...
As a Nurse, I must tell you that you are exactly right!!!
They DO all have tunnel vision! The focus is on whatever their specialty is...your new Doc's specialty is Colitis, so you MUST have Colitis!
Nah, I'm just being mean. He is right about one thing, typically IBS does not involve inflammation of the colon. Sounds more like IBD(Inflammatory Bowel Disease) than IBS. I would definitely think you need another colonoscopy...which I am sure you are very excited about! HA!!
Maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt for now, and see what he says about your Colonoscopy.
Hey, it could be worse, my GI doc said he wanted to do another colonoscopy on me in 2 years...that was 7 years ago!!! Still hasn't done one! He stinks!!

Let us know how things come out!!

--------------------
FancyMom
IBS-A,Constipation predominant, GERD

Edited by fancymom (06/08/08 11:59 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3829 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2821

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review