All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Chemical Sensitivity
      #328744 - 04/23/08 03:44 PM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I was wondering if anyone has dealt with or is dealing with Chemical Sensitivity. I work in a printing company and I've noticed how much my clothes smell off chemicals when I get home and my husband has mentioned this, too. I've never really thought much about it affecting my health until recently. I've been experiencing bad anxiety and IBS-D has gotten worse. I had a hysterectomy a year and a half ago and used bio-identical cream hormones for a short time before quitting them completely. When I decided to give them a try again I realized that I could actually tell they were in my body after a week when my breasts got tender. So that got me to thinking....if these hormones can get into my system just by rubbing them on my skin, what else is getting into my system through my skin and lungs when I am at work around all the printing chemical fumes. I've worked there for almost 13 years and my health problems have gotten more serious over that time. I don't want to quit my job, but I want to feel better. When I was away from that environment for 2 weeks I did start to feel better. My doctor is checking into Chemical Sensitivity, but I haven't told my boss yet. It would be real expensive for him to install a ventilation system....of which there is none at this time. I'm scared, frustrated, and confused. Anyone have any experience with this?

I recently stopped taking the hormones again at the advice of my doctor and they prescribed Buspar for the anxiety.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Chemical Sensitivity new
      #328776 - 04/24/08 08:28 AM
stopper

Reged: 04/16/08

I was diagnosed with MCS approx 20 yrs ago but have always been sensitive to chemicals. I'm not saying this to add to your anxiety but you should be concerned. Even the fumes on your clothes can be toxic to others around you. Are you not required by OSHA to wear protective mask of some kind? It is required by law you be provided with a safe working environment. Even people not overly sensitive are usually bothered by ink & chemicals in newspapers or books. Their eyes & nose will burn or they will sneeze or cough. Please research this further on the internet or go to an environmental dr. Best of luck!

#328780 - 04/24/08 09:32 AM
Nugget

thanks for the information Stopper. I have contacted OSHA, but they have not replied to my e-mail yet. I live in a small town, so am not sure if there is an environmental doc available. I had another rough morning this morning...so called my doctor to insist on some testing, but they haven't called me back yet. I hate waiting on doctors to call back. And I hate feeling like this. I just want to feel better.

#328783 - 04/24/08 10:08 AM
stopper

I live in a small town also so I went to Dallas, Tx to the Environmental Health Center. They did test & helped me figure out what was wrong with me. Pesticides was one of my biggest problems. It's in our food, people spraying their gardens & lawns etc. I now eat only organically grown foods & I've cleaned up the toxins in my home so I'm doing much better. It's a life long commitment.

#328786 - 04/24/08 10:22 AM
Nugget

Stopper.....are you IBS-D or C? I'm D. and I also have anxiety. It's so frustrating. Was the enviornmental doc you went to expensive? What kinds of tests did they do? Thanks so much for replying to my post!

#328788 - 04/24/08 11:10 AM
stopper

I'm IBS-C. The dr's are expensive & they don't except insurance so I had to pay up front & then file with my insurance. They do skin testing & also other test for chemicals. For me avoidance is the only way to get better. There are several places now that specializes in environmental sensitivities since there are so many people effected. I bet if you do a search for environmental medicine there will be one near you, or get some books & get ideas where to start. It's not easy but if you or your family have allergies or asthma it is well worth it.

#328789 - 04/24/08 11:16 AM
Nugget

I don't have asthma and don't know about the allergies. But I do know that when I wasn't in my work environment for two weeks on vacation...and wasn't around those fumes...I felt better. Not 100% but better.

Just heard from the doctor's office.... new
      #328796 - 04/24/08 01:09 PM
Nugget

the nurse just called me back and asked all kinds of questions. I told her everything and all my concerns. I had a hysterectomy a year and a half ago and she asked if I had endometriosis when I had my hysterectomy. When I told her yes, she said "Oooohhhh....maybe THAT's what's causing your irritable bowel problems." So now she has to relay my comments and concerns to the doctor and call me back again with what they want to do now. I'm a bit scared thinking they are going to want to do a colonoscopy to check things out and possibly a lap to check for endo. It's been 12 years since my last colonoscopy and I don't like the idea of having another one or the possibility of having more surgery for the endo. I'm scared.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 272 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2639

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review