All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Juices/hot cocoa to drink
      #325389 - 02/23/08 10:35 PM
Specialmom23

Reged: 10/29/05

Im trying to find out on this website if people with IBS can drink juices like Apple Juice---Grape Juice---Orange Juice and also Hot Cocoa, I tried finding it on this website but got no where, if anyone can help that would be great.

God bless

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Juices/hot cocoa to drink new
      #325397 - 02/24/08 06:43 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

You should be fine with hot chocolate so long as it's made with rice, soy, or almond milk. Check the recipe index if you want to make your own powdered mix.

As for the juices, that seems to be a very individual thing and it also depends on your stability. Personally, I am pretty stable and can handle apple juice, apple cider, and low-acid orange juice. Check the Eating for IBS Diet forum for more information.

#325401 - 02/24/08 08:04 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I can't do

apple juice
orange juice
grapefruit juice
grape juice
pomegranate juice (very high in acid)

because of the horrible, painful gas and D. But I can tolerate

Black current juice w/water
certain cranberry juice coctails

without my stomach exploding.

Go easy on the fruits and vegs when you're trying out new juices. The fibers in some fruit products (the pulp in orange juice, and the fiber in applesauces) can really make your gut spasm out of control and jumpstart an attack.

It's all trial and error; we're all different! Best,

~nelly~

#325419 - 02/24/08 12:51 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Like Nelly said, it all depends on the person.

Me, I drink a lot of juice - Mostly Minute Maid punches that don't have apple as an ingredient. I cannot tolerate apple or orange juice - the acid I think. I also like cranberry & cranberry blends. As for hot choc, I haven't actually had any in about 3 years! And it used to be a fav. But using soy or almond milk of course. I wonder if warmed chocolate almond milk would be good - hmmmm, have to pick up another carton!!
Good luck!

And FYI, you might get more answers if you were to post food questions on the diet board - for the future

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#325514 - 02/26/08 05:02 AM
Barbara50

Reged: 09/26/07
Loc: Texas

Can't do juices but I warm choc almond milk frequently. It is wonderful.

--------------------
IBS-D, Gas & Bloating

Barbara50

Just make sure new
      #325517 - 02/26/08 06:56 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

that if you buy a mix, that there is no dairy in it. Usually they contain dry milk. You can usually find dairy free cocoa at Whole foods or another HFS. Easier to just to nuke some chocolate rice or almond milk.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: new
      #325543 - 02/26/08 11:25 AM
Specialmom23

Reged: 10/29/05

What about Chinease food?

Re: new
      #325546 - 02/26/08 12:15 PM
Snorkie

Check out the diet board. Chinese can be very iffy.

Re: Chinese food new
      #325558 - 02/26/08 01:54 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

As Snorkie said, Chinese food can be very iffy. Chinese is probably one of the most "westernized" of the ethnic cuisines – meaning that it is almost nothing like what you would actually get in China. That means that it is usually dripping in oil, and/or is fried, and/or contains something that will likely give you problems. Surprisingly the noodles can also be ridiculously high in fat. And another thing, it is usually loaded with MSG – something that can irritate a lot of people WITHOUT IBS, never mind those of us that DO have it. I thought I was being safe one evening by having steamed rice and chicken with corn – it seemed innocent enough, but it did bother me, and I regretted it. You're better off trying to recreate some of your favourite Chinese dishes at home.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

re: chinese food new
      #325642 - 02/27/08 11:44 AM

Unregistered

As far as chinese food goes - they will serve special "diet food". They steam veggies and chicken and serve it with white rice. Where I order from they serve it with garlic sauce on the side! It's delicious and healthy

Re: re: chinese food new
      #325652 - 02/27/08 02:19 PM
Snorkie

Yeah, that's pretty safe for me, too.

I'll add here that I found Thai food safer than Chinese before I was stable. It may just be the particular restaurant we go to, but they don't use a ton of oil.

#325709 - 02/28/08 11:16 AM
Dawn_Angel

Reged: 02/25/08
Loc: NY State

this past weekend i had chinese and that was before i knew i had IBS - i believe that is one of the reasons i had an intense attack, now i'm afraid to eat it anymore!

--------------------
with tranquil thoughts,
**Jen Z.**

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." ~ William James

"Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin." ~ Mother Teresa

#325727 - 02/28/08 01:06 PM
Snorkie

I had the mother of all IBS attacks after Chinese food before my diagnosis, too.

Empty stomach + beef & brocolli = OMG. We had to stop 3 times before we got home. It was very, very sudden and very, very liquid. I've had some "exciting moments" over the years, but that one is still the most, um, er, impressive.

I didn't touch Chinese restaurant food for a good two years and I will never go back to that particular restaurant.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1352 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4168

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review