All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
News from the couch...
      #324777 - 02/14/08 06:37 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Home alone on Valentines this year, and thought I'd post an update on the therapy sessions.
I've had 3 therapy appts. now for my anxiety/phobia over throwing up. Its been VERY hard and so far I feel worse, but I'm hopeful and actually becoming somewhat confident that I'm going to come out the other side of this with a quieter mind and more freedom from this. I'm also upping my anti-anxiety meds right now, in the hope that they'll actually do something for me finally.
I've slowed down on CBT because it was just stirred up too much anxiety for me. I wasn't ready yet. Instead, right now we've been talking a lot about why I might have developed and kept this pattern. She has me thinking about what this constant voice of fear is keeping me from really feeling - what am I avoiding by going through this craziness. I've approached this from other angles before, but this was new and helpful. Noticing how the thoughts often come up when I'm feeling any emotion very intensely seems to be part of the key for me. Also we've been talking all about shame and my childhood which was very influenced by IBS from an early age and how it colored my self-image as an adult. How I view getting sick as this frightening and also maybe shameful thing.
To sum up, basically every minute of therapy has sucked so far! Its so hard and leaves me feeling so shaky afterwards. Still, I'll be going back for more next week.
What do you think fellow-phobics? Does this stuff sound at all similar to your experience?

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: News from the couch... new
      #324782 - 02/15/08 03:38 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Hey there Hawkeye. While I'm not a fellow phobe, I've been through enough therapy to know that initially it gets/feels worse before it gets better. But I have to say that even though I went through years of it, I'm proud to say, I made major strides and I no longer need to go. So...there's hope. Don't give up. You should know that it feeling so bad is probably a good sign that it's helping. Therapy shouldn't be fun and easy.

I'll be thinking about you....
Big hugs.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Re: News from the couch... new
      #324783 - 02/15/08 04:30 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Sounds like you're on the right track. My psychologist warned me when I started that I would feel worse before I felt better. And I'm happy to say I'm feeling MUCH better these days.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

Re: News from the couch...BLEAH new
      #324835 - 02/15/08 07:43 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Yuck, I'm feeling so sick all of a sudden this evening. I think its indigestion and gas from dinner and tension about traveling tomorrow. Still, at the moment part of me is in a tailspin panicked about what might be. Every time I feel some measure of strength to face this, the anxiety and stomach pains come back twice as hard and kick my butt. I'm hopeful that what you all said about starting therapy is right - I've been in therapy before and have experienced that to some degree.
But this is much more intense and so far, feels like many steps back for every step forward.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3358 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1219

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review