--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: glasses vs contact lenses new
      #322791 - 01/20/08 12:45 PM
Erilyn

Reged: 11/14/07
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

Contact lenses! Although I can get pretty darn annoyed with those too!

Glasses give me a headache if I wear them too long. I have a very high prescription (-6.25), and even the "featherweights" seem heavy after a while.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.
Taking 12g of Acacia per day. Relatively stable since March 2008!

#322796 - 01/20/08 01:02 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Contact lenses! Hands down! I dislike having something on my face all day. Although I do wear my glasses from time to time when my eyes get itchy or irritated from allergies or something.

You just reminded me, I need to order more contacts... ;P

#322810 - 01/20/08 06:06 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Glasses! I can't tolerate contacts at all, I tried many times. I even got the acuvue oasys ones which are supposed to be very easy on eyes and still couldn't stand them. My prescription isn't too bad, though, so usually I can get by without wearing anything.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

What kind of contact lenses do you ladies where new
      #322815 - 01/20/08 06:22 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Aren't there all different types?

--------------------

Re: What kind of contact lenses do you ladies where new
      #322819 - 01/20/08 07:05 PM
AmandaM

Yup. There are two main kinds, hard and soft. I don't know anyone who wears hard anymore, so you're probably going to be focusing on some sort of soft lens.

I wear Acuvue Oasys. They apparently allow a greater flow of oxygen to the eyeball than others. I have worn Acuvue brand since I was probably 12 years old...um, 14 or so years! Never had an issue with them.

Usually your optometrist can suggest a kind that is best for your eye and your prescription. Optometrist usually have tons of literature in their offices about different brands of lenses. You can google contact lenses and read up about them on the manufacturer/distributors' sites as well.

Re: What kind of contact lenses do you ladies where new
      #322838 - 01/21/08 08:27 AM
Erilyn

I wear O2 Optix. They are oxygen permeable and are supposed to be healthier for your eyes. They take a little getting used to at first though because they are thicker than regular soft contact lenses, so you can actually feel them on your eyes for the first few days. And then they're fine. I find I can wear them longer than I could regular contacts - my eyes used to dry out really bad by early evening, and now they're fine until I go to bed.

--------------------
IBS-A since age 12, and fructose sensitive; with the exception of my pregnancy, have been following Heather's diet since Nov. 19, 2007.

#322842 - 01/21/08 09:03 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Glasses. I used to wear contacts, but I gave them up ages ago when I had a job that required me to arrive at 4:00 AM. That's way too early to be sticking anything in my eye!
I just never went back to the contacts.

Erilyn and Amanda new
      #322844 - 01/21/08 09:21 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Are these daily disposables?

--------------------

Re: I work for an optometrist new
      #322852 - 01/21/08 10:52 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

There and many different kinds of lenses on the market today and almost all of them are disposable. The Acuvue Oasys and the ciba 02 optix are probably the two best lenses. Both of these brands are marketed as a 2 weeks disposable, meaning you wear them each day, take them out at night and throw them away in 2 weeks. Some people can wear them a little longer then 2 weeks, it depends on how much calcium you build up and such but we have to tell you 2 weeks.

Prices can vary greatly. We charge $80 for a contact lens exam. At the exam we determine the best lens for you, teach you how to put them in and take them out and care instructions. Then we let you take them for a week to try them. You return to the office in one week and we see how you did. If we need to make any adjustments, we do!

Both the Oasys and 02 opix come in boxes of 6 lenses. Most people order 4 boxes at a time which is about a 6 month supply. For the 02 optix, we charge $20.50 plus tax per box and the Oasys are $25.00 plus tax per box. A lot of the manufactures are offering rebates so be sure to ask if any of them apply to you.

You will need an annual eye exam when you wear contacts. An exam for contacts will also provide you with a prescription for eyeglasses however, just an exam for eyeglasses will not provide you with a prescription for contacts!

As far as eyeglasses go, if you have a heavy script, you need to be sure what lenses you are getting. Most places advertise featherweight lenses and they are just polycarbonate, which is lighter and thinner than plastic but not the best option for a high script.

You really need a high index lens. The higher the number, the thinner the lens. You used to be only able to get a high index in a 1.60 or a 1.67 index but they have recently come out with a 1.74 index, its pricey but if you have a high script and wear glasses all the time, worth it! A good anti reflective coating is essential. Most of the chains offer standard AR (anti reflective coating) which scratches easily and is hard to clean. You can get premium AR coatings now, such as Crizal Alize, Teflon or my favorite, Kodak Clear.

You need to get your glasses fro someone you trust, not someone out to make a good commission on your sale. Most states have no licensing requirements on opticians so its important to find someone with experience.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#322856 - 01/21/08 11:10 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I wear glasses to see far away, but I'd kind of like to try contact lenses for convenience.

Re: Erilyn and Amanda new
      #322869 - 01/21/08 01:51 PM
Erilyn

As Michele said, they are marketed as 2-week disposables, but my optometrist told me I could wear them for a month.

Now, they are actually marketed as "extended wear" lenses, meaning that you can wear them 24/7 (ie; sleep in them) for up to 2 weeks. This is NOT recommended. It greatly increases your risk of infection and other complications.

--------------------

Oooh maybe you can answer my question... new
      #322870 - 01/21/08 01:54 PM
Erilyn

I've had the same pair of glasses since 1999. I wear contacts most of the time, and just wear my glasses in the evening after I've taken them out and in the morning before I put them in. I just noticed the other day that the coating on the lenses is starting to peel. Can I get just new lenses with 9-year old frames? Or would I have to get new frames, too? I really don't want to spend $500 on a whole new pair…

--------------------

Re: Oooh maybe you can answer my question... new
      #322921 - 01/22/08 08:43 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

As long as the frame is in relatively decent condition, yes, you can get just new lenses. If its a plastic frame, it makes it more risky as plastic does dry out and become more brittle with time. You will probably have to give them your glasses for a few days while they do it. They will warn you that they are not responsible if they break, blah, blah, blah, they have to to cover their you know what!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Oooh maybe you can answer my question... new
      #322922 - 01/22/08 09:07 AM
Erilyn

Thanks for replying! The frames ARE plastic - that would really suck if they broke, because they are relatively comfortable and I'm used to them. I wouldn't want to have to get used to a new pair. Plus the cost.... ugh. Why do glasses have to be SOOOO expensive? My group insurance at work covers $200 but a complete set of frames + lenses will easily run me double that (I have a high prescription).

Edit - never mind, they ARE metal - I don't know why I thought they were plastic... Yes I really HAVE had them for 9 years... haha!

--------------------

Edited by Erilyn (01/22/08 09:21 AM)

Re: Erilyn and Amanda new
      #323262 - 01/26/08 05:03 PM
AmandaM

No. Mine are disposable but I toss them after 2-4 weeks, depending on how much I wear them. Usually I toss them every 2 weeks since I don't alternate b/w contacts and glasses much.

#323267 - 01/26/08 06:13 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Love my contacts. Seeing side to side is definitely a bonus.

The downside is that I *forget* how bad my sight really is. If I lose a contact, there's no driving for me!

~nelly~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2716 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4668

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review