All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Emotional MRI
      #317768 - 11/01/07 11:07 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Sorry I haven't been on the boards for a few weeks! I had a bad appointment with my fibro doctor which left me a little bit spun/.

I was describing my jaw snapping shut when I was going to sleep, and he became worried. He said "That isn't fibro" and wrote me out a referral for an MRI on the spot. I became scared and started worrying about MS.

I was booked for an MRI to check out all my jerky movement symptoms on a Friday. I would have been OK, anxiety-wise, but they had to push it over a week. That was the beginning of some horrible week-long anxiety for me. I cried from Thursday to Sunday. It's really all I accomplished. I stopped taking all my medicine except imodium and went through some crushing downs and dts. I don't recommend stopping taking all your meds at once. Ever! Between the ativan, the sleeping medication and the vicodin, the withdrawals were uncomfortable and debilitating. And I am candy-coating it!

I made it to the next Friday and had my test at a major hospital specializing in MS. The good news is that I had my MRI and it's over with. I have to wait til mid-November to find the results, though. But I feel like they wouldn't have given me a follow-up appointment if the results weren't normal, so I am OK, stress-wise.

I know there's real danger when I drop out of society, the boards, my friends and my family. It's the first glaring sign for me that I'm going to take a turn for the worse. I hope everyone can take a page out of Michele's situation and do some real sharing on the boards about what's going on in their lives. I appreciate the support!!

~nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Emotional MRI new
      #317777 - 11/01/07 01:57 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Boy, I can certainly relate to those awful dt's. I was actually restrained in my bed because I was convulsing so hard coming off the oxy and other drugs the drs had been feeding me. I am sure you are sugar coating your experience a whole lot! Its a terrible thing to go through.

I am glad the test is over but it really sucks big ones that you have to wait so long to get the results!! Don't these people realize the stress that causes us????

How are you feeling now? Yes, everyone, please do benefit from my past month or so, if you are depressed, SPEAK UP. Don't withdrawal, call a friend, call a 800 number, call someone! Reach out to cyber friends, there is support available, love to be had, just for the asking! Love and hugs

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#317784 - 11/01/07 04:17 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Hey Nelly,

Obviously I have no idea what it's like to be you right now, but I'm wishing you the best of luck in getting through it all. You are such a funny, friendly, caring person, and I LOVE reading your posts. Hopefully you can find some time to do something FUN during the next two weeks, to take your mind off of everything.

Sending you lots of HUGS!!! And PLEASE let us know when you get your results!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#317787 - 11/01/07 06:12 PM
Nelly

Hey, chica! I've never met the neurologist and I suspect he's the kind of doctor who's a data bastard, a statistician more than a physician. Know the type? If he's going to order any more invasive tests, I might take a swat at him.

I am not impressed in his bedside manner so far, considering he's making me wait so unnecessarily until right before thxgvg!! He's supposed to specialize in MS at George Washington Univ Hospital and my mother was the one who found him and made the appointment, otherwise you can bet I'd have found someone I didn't have to take the subway an hour to GW to see!

You win the DT contest!!!!!! I can still feel the DTs in the morning when I wake up, but now any trace left is gone by 11am. It took 6 days of pain, fever, sweats, pain, nausea, and pain.

The sick part is that I know that it's not the last time in my life I'm going to have to go through this, but oh well. Least this time I knew to get a portable fan and blow it on me to help the fevers. Went thru 2 D batteries. Guess I should buy more.

~nelly~ Doctors suuuuck!!

#317788 - 11/01/07 06:18 PM
Nelly

Hey, LM! Thank you so much for your kind words! I have to distract myself in the next 2 weeks, but I've forgotten how. I was addicted to a show on AMC called Mad Men (SO good, if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it!), but they've just ended their season. BTW, since when is a TV season 13 episodes?! I think someone is getting lazy somewhere.

~nelly~

Hugs Nelly! new
      #317791 - 11/01/07 06:58 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I'll be praying for you. Hang in there. You're an amazingly strong woman. Get thee to a Doctor ASAP and get your meds straightened out and tell them that you crashed. Speaking from experience, you HAVE to tell. It's the only way that they can help.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#317843 - 11/02/07 03:16 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Nelly,
As always, it is nice to see your name pop up on here!
So sorry to hear that the MRI and the days leading up to it were such an ordeal! Stopping all your meds at once sounds like a nightmare! I, under the instructions of my doctor (idiot!), stopped cold turkey on a high level of anti-anxiety meds and for about three days I felt like I was going completely insane! So I can't imagine stopping all those ones at once, you poor thing!!

On the good side of things, I am glad to hear that you got through the MRI and it's all done with. I agree that if something was obviously wrong, they'd be letting you know a lot sooner than mid-November. I'll be checking in to see how the results go, so let us know!

Sending warm thoughts your way,
Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Hugs Nelly! new
      #317998 - 11/05/07 01:37 PM
Nelly

Thanks, HS! You're absolutely right. Although I like being med free for now, my symptoms are lurking around the corner, and I know one false move and they'll be back with a vengeance. I've had fun pretending I'm normal and I'm now ready to start back up with the medications and supplements and give myself some better quality of life!!

I've got a handful of doctor appointments in the next month, and I'm going to see if I can really communicate what's going on! But if I get the "but you don't look sick" line, I might just let out a big Charlie Brown "AUGH!!"

~nelly~

Big Friday new
      #318002 - 11/05/07 01:43 PM
Nelly

Steph! So nice to see you too!

Some meds are a BEAR to get off of! I'd like to wish withdrawals on a couple of my docs... ()

Friday I go back to get my results from the MRI, so I'm psyched. I've been doing a lot of research in the internet, so I have to type up a couple of notes, and then I'll be all set. I don't want to be on the defensive!!

I'm *trying* to concentrate on planning the day around a ritzy lunch out with my nutty mom instead of the neurologist visit. So how have *you* been lately, and how is your family doing? Are you still working? How's your health going? {{{{HUGS}}}}

~nelly~

Re: Big Friday new
      #318097 - 11/06/07 03:38 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Crossing my fingers for you for the Friday lunch with your mom. Oh, you have an appt too, right! Hugs and support for both then!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 481 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4592

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review