All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS,gluten intolerant,food allergies
      #316052 - 10/03/07 08:44 PM
DDloves

Reged: 10/03/07
Loc: Salinas, Ca.

My son 15 has IBS,allergies to some food,told to stay away from gluten products. What do I cook for him?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS,gluten intolerant,food allergies new
      #316116 - 10/05/07 04:28 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

What is he allergic to? I eat a lot of veggies, fruits, meats/fish/poultry. I think you can buy gluten free bread???-probably at a health food store. There are recipes out there using almond flour when baking. Expensive, but at least you can get a sweet now and then. I used to LOVE bread, but now that I know it bothers me, and have been off it,I don't miss it anymore. I'm betting that if he stays away from sugar and grains for a little time,he will see an improvement in his health. It works for me.

#316126 - 10/05/07 07:38 PM
DDloves

Reged: 10/03/07
Loc: Salinas, Ca.

are you ready? Rice,Corn,Almond,Peanuts,Greenbeans,Soy,Watermelon,Tuna,Squash, can't handle citris fruits,Gassy veggi's and more I just can't think of all right now. I can only find gluten free items that contain most of his food allergies

#316131 - 10/06/07 06:34 AM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

OK-can he eat bacon,eggs,(omelettes), yogurt with berries for b'fast? Lunch/dinner-stir fry chicken/beef with added veggies that he can tolerate. Can he eat salads? Add chicken/salmon on top along with anything else he can tolerate...carrots, sunflower seeds,etc. Ground beef patties, roast beef, chicken, steak with side veggies. Is there gluten free pasta? You may have to make a lot of good old "homemade" stuff for sauces and such if he is allergic to ingredients in all the overabundance of processed foods out there. It is definitely hard to change your diet after getting hooked on all the junk food you've grown up with. But, I think as he goes along his cravings will change. How sick has he been? What have been his symptoms? Maybe as he starts feeling better, the "trigger" foods won't even interest him anymore. He will prefer to feel well, than indulge and feel terrible as a result. I wish you well. It must be very hard on the both of you. Is he on any probiotics right now? That would be one thing I look into, especially if he has ever been on antibiotics.

#316132 - 10/06/07 06:42 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I've been getting into trying different grains and here's what I've found tastes good, is gentle on the stomach and contains none of his allergies:

Buckwheat noodles (soba)- you can find ones without wheat at a natural health food store, great for stir-fry
Quinoa - the grain can be a substitute for rice, the flakes make a good hot cereal
Millet - the grain makes a good substitute for rice, I also used it instead of couscous in a salad and it was good
Gluten-free oats - this does exist, most oats aren't considered gluten-free because of cross-contamination. At your health food store they'll probably have some that are guaranteed gluten-free (or you can ask them to order some)

For baking, I use buckwheat flour with xanthan gum (~1/2 tsp gum per cup flour).

--------------------
Kat

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2895 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2040

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review